Author Topic: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #14...  (Read 785 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #14...
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 06:07:30 AM »
i love this album, knuckles, in your opinion, why do u place this above doggystyle?

Capo Di Tutti I Capi

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 08:57:44 AM »
too high on the list..

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 11:07:52 AM »
nice spot, a bit high maybe, but nothing to bitch about

wcsoldier

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 11:17:40 AM »
I think 14th is the good spot for this album on your list. Can't wait for the top 10

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 03:57:37 PM »
Good spot for the album 8)..love this album
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Like A N!gga Say Do

• 'G'
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 04:06:27 PM »
One of my favorites, in my top 10.

Elevz

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »
Let's point this out: I love this album. Yet I think it's a bit overrated here. It really is a great album and it perfectly showcases Biggie's talents. Just... This shouldn't be above 3 Feet, AmeriKKKa's, Doggystyle, Cuban Linx or actually most of the albums that got listed above this album. It's a great record and I love listening to it, but well... This is just too much for Ready To Die. The influence? Damn, half the rap game is influenced by Biggie, and remember his legacy is still way up there, even though he only got to drop one album while he was alive. All thanks to this album. Actually, maybe #14 is the perfect spot for this album!

Bringing the east coast back on the map? Hold on a sec, u forgot the east got Wu-Tang, Nas, Onyx, ATCQ and Redman. I'd give them more credit for bringing back the east than Biggie did with Ready To Die. I don't even think the east really was forgotten in the first place.

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 07:00:33 PM »
In 1994 I was only eight years old. So there was no way I could comprehend what was happenning in the hip hop scene back then, but from what I read wutang were still considered underground in 94. Alot of people still diidn't know who they were yet and they were still growing. On vh1 I remember hearing that when illmatic was dropped it didin't even go gold. So the album was pretty much local in terms of being known in new york only. When Ready to die came out biggie's singles were controlling the charts and it marked the first time an eastcoast rap album was generating alot buzz nationally when chronic, doggystyle, and deathrow were pretty much ruling. I don't know about ATCQ or Redman, but I don't thinking they were competing against chronic, doggystyle, or deathrow at the time. Also I didn't say eastcoast rap was dead in the early to the beginning of the mid nineties. I said they were brought back in the picture. Before Ready to die dropped I thought it was well known that eastcoast rap REALLY wasn't competing against the west. Once again I do not mean this in terms of making music, but sales wise, singles, charts, and the albums that were getting alot of spins(especially after chronic and doggystyle dropped).
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Wicked977

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 818 VALLE Bitches!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2005, 12:20:38 AM »
I think Mobb Deep was doing stuff for the East & The Infumous Influeced this album & Puffy said that Amerikkkas Most Wanted,Chronic,Efil4zaggin were the Blueprints to this album cuz they had never herd a album like that from a East Coast point of view

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2005, 02:29:26 AM »
In 1994 I was only eight years old. So there was no way I could comprehend what was happenning in the hip hop scene back then, but from what I read wutang were still considered underground in 94. Alot of people still diidn't know who they were yet and they were still growing. On vh1 I remember hearing that when illmatic was dropped it didin't even go gold. So the album was pretty much local in terms of being known in new york only. When Ready to die came out biggie's singles were controlling the charts and it marked the first time an eastcoast rap album was generating alot buzz nationally when chronic, doggystyle, and deathrow were pretty much ruling. I don't know about ATCQ or Redman, but I don't thinking they were competing against chronic, doggystyle, or deathrow at the time. Also I didn't say eastcoast rap was dead in the early to the beginning of the mid nineties. I said they were brought back in the picture. Before Ready to die dropped I thought it was well known that eastcoast rap REALLY wasn't competing against the west. Once again I do not mean this in terms of making music, but sales wise, singles, charts, and the albums that were getting alot of spins(especially after chronic and doggystyle dropped).

Biggie was selling more than Wu and Nas, but he didnt get nearly the same critical acclaim they did. In 94',  I was 16, and though I wasnt nearly into hip hop as I am now, Illmatic was being labeled as an instant classic. Ready to Die definatly was getting love but it wasnt considered to be on that next level shit like Nas's debut was. Pretty much the same thing with 36 Chambers: didnt sell nearly as much as RTD but was more critically acclaimed upon its release among hip hop heads.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Thuglife

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Well if kurupt gave a fuck about a bitch...
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2005, 09:59:37 AM »
fuck all u hoes

Diabolical

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2005, 10:23:33 AM »
I......don't like it....

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2005, 05:36:38 PM »
i love this album, knuckles, in your opinion, why do u place this above doggystyle?

Both albums are pretty equal qualitywise I'd say, they're pretty close, I think Snoop's is a little better.  I guess why this is two spots above Doggystyle is just because Doggystyle didn't do anything really new that The Chronic did and didn't have the impact that the other albums in the top twenty did.  These are both classic debuts from two of the biggest artists of the 1990s but I think Biggie was more influencial than Snoop so this album holds a little more weight.

It's only two spots anyways, they could be flip-flopped and it wouldn't make a difference to me.

I think Mobb Deep was doing stuff for the East & The Infumous Influeced this album

The Infamous... came out after Ready To Die.

Wicked977

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 818 VALLE Bitches!!!
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2005, 09:56:57 PM »
yeah I realised that yesterday my bad  :-[

icebergslimIII

• 'G'
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2005, 06:23:12 PM »
Bullshit! Where is Life Is Too Short by Too Short or Shorty the PIMP? No way this cd is top 15 ahead of NWA and Dre's 2001! THis list is whack! Yo!