Author Topic: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #10...  (Read 952 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #10...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 10:21:39 PM »
run dmc's first

You should check out number twenty.

Elevz

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2005, 10:42:48 PM »
I remember listening to this album for the first time. It simply blew me away. Not many albums managed to do that - so I guess a #10 spot is well deserved once again. Then again, I didn't think this album would make the list, as I'm also expecting The Low End Theory to pop up any time soon. That's three Tribe albums in the top 25. Damn right ATCQ did something right. This along with TLET is my favorite, altho I do think this one does sound a bit too much like TLET.

what's left?

nas - illmatic
one gangstarr album (can't choose one)
nwa - straight out of compton
slick rick - great adventure of slick rick
wu tang- enter the wu tang 36 chambers
dr.dre - the chronic
epmd - business as usual (not sure of this one)
eric b and rakim - paid in full
public enemy - it takes a nation of millions to take us back
run dmc's first

That, ATCQ's The Low End Theory and Boogie Down Productions - Criminal minded...

Another mystery in life solved! Props once again go to Knuckles  8)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 10:44:35 PM by Elevz on a detox »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 06:11:38 AM »
ye i like peoples instinctive travels more, but i know as a fact gangstarr wont make it.

ABN

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 06:59:40 AM »
i guess i wonīt see UGK - Ridin Dirty on this list even tho itīs better then most of the albums thatīve made it so far. but props again Knucklers coz it canīt be too easy to make a list like this.

rafsta

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 08:40:07 AM »
yup, i gave you more, cuz i'm not sure

Gang Starr's second album is quintessential hip-hop and is easily one of the greatest rap albums of all time. In contrast to their 1989 debut, No More Mr. Nice Guy, which was filled with seriously uptempo jams, Step in the Arena slows down the pace, unveiling low, slow, and deceptively complex tempos along with some jazz-tinged loops and beats, all of which firmly established DJ Premier's slot in the producer hall of fame. Furthermore, the slower sonic pace proved to be a perfect fit for Guru's distinctive monotone flow. The album hits on every aural level, from the lumbering bass and blaring horn combo of the title track to the swirling sax blurts, unnerving siren, and kinetic scratch attack of "Who's Gonna Take the Weight" to the laid-back smooth jazz soul of "Love Sick." Guru's verbal volley can only be described as smooth hardcore, with no-nonsense lyrics that effectively strike a balance between the street and the intellect. Toss in tracks like the anti-hoodlum anthem "Just to Get a Rep" and the scathing "Execution of a Chump (No More Mr. Nice Guy, Part 2)," and you've got yourself a bona fide classic that sounds as fresh today as it did when it was first released

some nice copy and pasting there  :D :P

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 10:27:17 AM »
yup, i gave you more, cuz i'm not sure

Gang Starr's second album is quintessential hip-hop and is easily one of the greatest rap albums of all time. In contrast to their 1989 debut, No More Mr. Nice Guy, which was filled with seriously uptempo jams, Step in the Arena slows down the pace, unveiling low, slow, and deceptively complex tempos along with some jazz-tinged loops and beats, all of which firmly established DJ Premier's slot in the producer hall of fame. Furthermore, the slower sonic pace proved to be a perfect fit for Guru's distinctive monotone flow. The album hits on every aural level, from the lumbering bass and blaring horn combo of the title track to the swirling sax blurts, unnerving siren, and kinetic scratch attack of "Who's Gonna Take the Weight" to the laid-back smooth jazz soul of "Love Sick." Guru's verbal volley can only be described as smooth hardcore, with no-nonsense lyrics that effectively strike a balance between the street and the intellect. Toss in tracks like the anti-hoodlum anthem "Just to Get a Rep" and the scathing "Execution of a Chump (No More Mr. Nice Guy, Part 2)," and you've got yourself a bona fide classic that sounds as fresh today as it did when it was first released

some nice copy and pasting there :D :P

lol!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000008FVT/002-1261994-8688020?v=glance

icebergslimIII

• 'G'
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 07:37:33 PM »
As I said before, this list is a joke! This piece of crap album is ahead of classics like Death Certificate, No One Can Do It Better and Efil4zaggin?!! What a freakin joke. Did this album even go gold or platinum? wht a joke! I'm seriously going to ask if Knuckles was high when he came up with this list?! No way this album should even be rated this high! It's a joke!

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2005, 07:39:17 PM »
As I said before, this list is a joke! This piece of crap album is ahead of classics like Death Certificate, No One Can Do It Better and Efil4zaggin?!! What a freakin joke. Did this album even go gold or platinum? wht a joke! I'm seriously going to ask if Knuckles was high when he came up with this list?! No way this album should even be rated this high! It's a joke!

:stupid:

Don Breezio

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 07:55:54 PM »

going gold or platinum doesn't make an album great....tribe is classic. If you don't like the list don't read it.

i guess i wonīt see UGK - Ridin Dirty on this list even tho itīs better then most of the albums thatīve made it so far.

Was this a typo?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2005, 08:56:32 PM »

hahaha
and it did go platinum btw.  All the albums in the top ten did except for one.

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 09:57:58 PM »

hahaha

illmatic  ;D

Diabolical

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 07:56:17 AM »
 :sign_werd:

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 08:12:54 AM »

hahaha

400k....that better be Souls of Mischief - '93 Til Infinity...if that doesn't make the top #9...OMGU!

ABN

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2005, 09:12:59 AM »

going gold or platinum doesn't make an album great....tribe is classic. If you don't like the list don't read it.

i guess i wonīt see UGK - Ridin Dirty on this list even tho itīs better then most of the albums thatīve made it so far.

Was this a typo?

no it certainly wasnīt. Ridin Dirty is a lot better then some shit on this list and Pimp came thru hard on the production tip and Bun came thru super hard on the lyrical tip(as usual). and thereīs a lot of other albums that i think shouldīve made the list and i think that the list is extremely east coast biased but i aint knockin Knuckles for that coz like i said it canīt be all that easy to make a list like this.

fellowes

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2005, 09:53:05 AM »
This should be in it:
The great advantures of Slick Rick
It takes a nation of millions to hold me down
The Marshall Mathers lp
Me against the world
Criminal Minded
Illmatic