Author Topic: The 25 Greatest MC's of All Time  (Read 837 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
The 25 Greatest MC's of All Time
« on: August 01, 2005, 05:51:37 PM »
OK, I see my man Knuckles do his thing with the 50 greatest albums of all time, and I think I can do just as well with the 25 greatest MC's. I have been working hard on a list, and I think that it's the most complete and unbias list out there. 2Pac isn't number one, Biggie isn't number one, or LL Cool J. I wouldn't do 25 different threads though. I will do 25-21. 20-16, 15-11, 10-6, then 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. As a sampler, I am going to list rappers that I thought were close, but in the end I just couldn't give it to them. Not in any order, just a sample of how 25-1 are going to be.

B-Real

Strongest album: Temple of Boom

Group or Crew: Cypress Hill

Many are looking at B-Real, and saying how is he even considered. Well, actually when thinking about this list I was looking at Ice Cube and hearing all his battles, and I realized something, B-Real has to be at least considered. Though not the most lyrical, or even someone with the best content, B-Real kept it simple, and at one time was the frontman to one of the most popular groups in Hip-Hop. As the leadman of Cypress Hill, B-Real helped the group become the first latin act to go platnum in Hip-Hop. Along the way Cypress Hill gained a cult following that rivals many other great performers in music period. B-Real shinned is brightest though in Cypress Hill's release Temple of Boom, were he also went all out at one of the greatest rappers of all time in Ice Cube. After trading songs with the gangster legend, some debate over who won, though both sides came to peace and are now past that. Since, B-Real and Cypress Hill have lost their mainstream popularity, but their core cult following that helped them gain fame in 1991 are still with them today in 2005. B-Real is an unquestionable rap legend.

Raekwon

Strongest album: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Crew or Group: Wu Tang

With Ghostface by his side, Raekwon released the strongest of the Wu Tang members solo albums. On the album was a not so hidden diss to Biggie Smalls himself, and Raekwon was off as one of the early contenders to the crown, as it was only natural in 1994-1995 that a member of New Yorks most lyrical crew would bring the crown to the Wu Tang Clan. Raekwon's resume on classic songs and great lyrics reads like most anyone else on the list. No one can argue that Raekwon is one of the best lyrist the game has ever seen. No matter if it's a Raekwon solo album, or a Wu Tang group album, if The Chef is on the track, you know you are going to hear some of the illest and gully lyrics anyone has ever spit.

Xzibit

Strongest album: Restless

Crew or Group: Golden State Warriors, Strong Arm Steady

After 'Pac got shot, and Snoop fled to the Dirty Dirty, only one man could be called the best in LA. Xzibit was the best rapper LA from 1997-2000, as Snoop's change to sporting a No Limit chain left many Cali native's with a sour taste in there mouth. Lucky for them X to the Z came with a whole new sound, and kept his lyrics underground and westcoast. In 2000 Xzibit teamed up with Dr. Dre to finally break out the underground and take a set next to raps elite. Showing up in 2001, and Top Dogg prepared the world for what they have been missing, one of the rawest and roughest rappers the west has ever produced.

Jadakiss

Strongest album: Kiss of Death

Crew or Group: The Lox

You can't front, Why is Jadakiss as hard as it gets. Jadakiss in the past few years has become the complete artist. His this close from breaking out of the underground, though his tour into conscience rap will not but him in the commercial world. Jada's career started in the public eye as a member of Bab Boy records, the most dominating label in the east at the time. Bad Boy was known for 2 things, Biggie and shinny suit. Though Jadakiss and the Lox went to Bad Boy for Biggie, they got placed in a shinny suit. Once freed, they found themselves in the east hottest label at the time, Ruff Ryder. The ability to find the best place to be has not helped Jadakiss become the commercial hit he wants to be. But, the reason why is the reason his on this list. Refusing to go with a strickly commercial pop style, and stick to his most streets style, Jada has kept his artist dignaty in the eyes of many fans. Along the way have been battles with Beanie Segal and now 50 Cent. Not one to back down, Jada is defending his turf. Jada's hard flow along with equally hard lyrics allow the streets to follow someone they feel is representing them right. No one can denie Jada is one of the best since Big died, and no one can denie his able to swing with the best that ever did it, even if no one is really listening.

DMX

Strongest album: It's Dark and Hell is Hot

Crew or Group: Ruff Ryders

DMX is the man that brought the streets back in 1998. When shinny suits and poppy beats were the thing, one man came and took the game back by storm. No other rapper has 5 albums debut at number one, and these are all of DMX's albums. Everything he touches, people want to hear. His the Mike Tyson of rap, a loose cannon that still seems depressed and grumpy after all these years of being rich. Voted one of the top 10 greatest rappers of all time by BET, the truth is his not that high, but he is to be considered. No rapper draws the fans like X, and to rapper can come as hard as X. His flow and violent lyrics make you wonder if he wasn't at the peak of his career, how would he have came to Kurupt. His attacks on Ja Rule leave you guessing as to what could have been if this loose cannon would have been focused. Truly the Mike Tyson of rap, what if Mike never went to jail, what if DMX wasn't on crack?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The 25 Greatest MC's of All Time
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 06:01:48 PM »
None of these guys would make my top 50.  Shit, Jadakiss hasn't really even made a good album.

herpes

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 06:05:33 PM »
why is restless xzibits best album, is it b/c of the dre affiliation b/c restless was a average to good album.  His best album is easily at the speed of life or 40 days and 40 nights

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 06:08:04 PM »
No other rapper has 5 albums debut at number one

False. Both Tupac and Jay Z have exactly five #1 albums each.

Tupac:

1. Me Against The World
2. All Eyez On Me
3. 7 Day Theory
4. Until The End of Time
5. Loyal To the Game

Jay Z:

1. Hardknock Life Vol.2
2. Life & Times of S. Carter Vol.3
3. The Blueprint
4. Blueprint 2
5. The Black Album
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 06:10:06 PM by ImmortalOne »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 06:10:04 PM »
Did DMX's last couple albums still debut that high?  I can't even remember thier names but I don't remember them selling that well.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 06:10:30 PM »
None of these guys would make my top 50.  Shit, Jadakiss hasn't really even made a good album.

LOL... don't worry. As I said, this is a sample. Honestly, this is a bias list, I'll admit. I want to introduce this list, and to do it, I used my personal favorite rappers. The top 25 is unbias, and you'll be surprised. I wanted to write on these and they didn't make the list because there was no room, so I made a sampler. As for Xzibit, I put Restless because that was his STRONGEST ALBUM. The album that changed his career, the album that made him Mr. Pimp My Ride, the album that proved his on top. Don't worry, you'll argue some albums, that's natural, and you can argue all you want this list. The top 25 will come correct.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 06:11:07 PM »
^^^the did go #1, though both albums only went platinum which is poor compared to how well his first 3 albums did.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 06:12:17 PM »
No other rapper has 5 albums debut at number one

False. Both Tupac and Jay Z have exactly five #1 albums each.

Tupac:

1. Me Against The World
2. All Eyez On Me
3. 7 Day Theory
4. Until The End of Time
5. Loyal To the Game

Jay Z:

1. Hardknock Life Vol.2
2. Life & Times of S. Carter Vol.3
3. The Blueprint
4. Blueprint 2
5. The Black Album

key word, DEBUT... his first 5... the first 5 albums DMX released. Not since his second, third or forth album. His 5 debut albums are number 1 releases.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 06:16:29 PM »
I don't get it.  You said it:

"As a sampler, I am going to list rappers that I thought were close, but in the end I just couldn't give it to them. Not in any order, just a sample of how 25-1 are going to be."

So these aren't top 25 greatest MCs ever?  but MCs that came close?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 06:24:57 PM by Knuckles »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 06:22:33 PM »
I don't get it.  You said it:

"As a sampler, I am going to list rappers that I thought were close, but in the end I just couldn't give it to them. Not in any order, just a sample of how 25-1 are going to be."

So are these aren't top 25 greatest MCs ever?  but MCs that came close?

Yeah... but as I said in my seond post, I will admit a bias. To me, when doing this list, I thought of many things and since we all have bias, they came close, but then looking at it objectively, I had to change the list and take people out, or just cross them out completely. In the process, they were there, then I went unbias and they left. Objectively, 2Pac is not the greatest, in my orginal list he was, that's how it switched, that's how they got close, they I switched up, but since they are personal favorites, I thought it would be fun to start off with them. I thought the argument with B-Real would have some people at least think about how much he has meant to hip-hop, opening doors for people like Big Pun, well at the same time hanging with the man who did No Vaselin, one of the greatest diss songs of all times. The list changed, obviously they got removed from all conversation I was thinking, but I still wanted to put some people up there that I could write on.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 06:40:17 PM »
no one wants to comment on the format, should I include more or less?

The Watcher

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 06:53:57 PM »

word
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 07:15:50 PM »
I like how you put that together. Whenever there is a  list created there will be a debate. For example I think Raekwon is doo doo but I like the fact that you give a brief summary as to why you think he's a top M.C. Also who wants to go through another list when you know the top 10 or so (Pac,Big,Nas,Jay,Rakim,Cube etc.). As long as they are rappers who truly made an impact I can respect your opinion. Props

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 09:17:32 PM »
2Pac isn't number one

:-\  that's a bad start right there
NO MORE WAR

Like A N!gga Say Do

• 'G'
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 09:35:45 PM »
 ::) 2pac is great but overated. Truth.