Author Topic: how to distinguish between original prints, and later releases for vinyl.  (Read 82 times)

We Fly High

is there anyway to distinguish between original prints and later releases for vinyls? is there anyway to tell just by looking at the numbers on the sleeve, or record..

im starting to build my collection up, and i just want to make sure i have all originals..

like i just bought a nas illmatic vinyl.. im pretty sure its the original one, since its only dated 1994.. but is there a way to distinguish between multiple printings in the same year?
 like would it be possible that this belonged to the 2nd or third print from the same 1994 year..

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Yeah, there are serial numbers on the record and if you could get a hold of the manufacturer, you could ask. It probably would be a pain in the ass though. As long as it says the original year, it's pretty safe to believe it's the first printing.

We Fly High

yeah i actually found this site, its pretty fucking tight. its all user submitted though, so i dont know exactly how reliable it is, but it give a good idea of every artists catalog, like pretty damn complete too. got the serial numbers and all that.
looks like mine was a reissue the same 1994 year, but it looks like its an import serial number too. so maybe its just a first print import.

its kinda wack, cos it seems that a lot of the vinyl will print the same labels with no changes in date,  even though it was reissued many years later. kinda tricks people like me who arent really good with spotting them.

anyways check it out.
http://hiphop.discogs.com/

187Proof

• Muthafuckin' Don!
You take the UPC # on the vinyl sleeve, go to ebay like you're going to put it up for sale, then instead of listing all the info for the record, you can just type in the UPC and the info will pop up. This will tell you if it's a re-print or not.

We Fly High

You take the UPC # on the vinyl sleeve, go to ebay like you're going to put it up for sale, then instead of listing all the info for the record, you can just type in the UPC and the info will pop up. This will tell you if it's a re-print or not.

damn crazy. aiite.