Author Topic: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #7...  (Read 582 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #7...
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 05:59:23 AM »
i keep saying the same in these topics, but then that goes for many of these w/c fans too, so:

1. Def no Quik, not "probably"

2. Quik is not very popular at all out of the w/c scene, outside the US 9/10 hiphop fans don´t know his name

3. C2K doesn´t appear to have a east coast bias. You people have to understand that the west coast had a few glorious years, but that hiphop is after all a NY thing. Therefore, the vast majority of hiphop albums that had a considerable impact on the whole scene were made there. "Enta Da Stage" or "By All Means Necessary" might not ring a bell for you, but trust me, each of them is more important to hiphop as a whole than Dogg Food or all of Quik´s albums combined. And it´s not like he left out the really influential ones, Cube´s, NWA´s, Dre´s, Snoop´s...

4. Sales do matter, but that´s one criteria. "GRODT" sold more than any album in this list, and "Willenium" did quite well too..."Dogg Food" did sell well, but it´s no Chronic. As for impact, it is just a good example of how to handle a style that had been popular since 1992, but there is nothing new about it at all, neither musically nor lyrically. And it did have flaws anyways

All Eyez On Me is the highest selling album on C2K's list, and it w/o doubt sold more then 50's album. AND it had more impact then every Shady/G-Unit/Aftermath release put together. The Score sold more than 50's album I believe also.

I do agree with you about sales and impact being two different things though. They go hand in hand, yet an album can sell a small amount yet make a huge impact. Illmatic is a great example. Yet an album like All Eyez On Me can sell millions, have a major impact and still retain respect among hip hop fans. This is why they should be separated IMO. Also, making an impact is certainly an important factor when judging how great an album is, but it shouldnt be the only factor.

Overall I think C2K is doing a fairly good job with his list even though I would probably have the order of the list VERY different. I cant be bothered to take the time to do it though, so more power to him.

I agree impact is not the only factor, but all albums listed are top-notch. AEOM right, that one sold more than 50, I dunno if that´s still true once GRODT is 10 years old, same for The Score. And while what you said about AEOM is true, I know that I´m not among a tiny ass minority thinking that the album hade its flaws. It was great for a double album, but there was filler material on it, so it´s not ranked too low IMO

Diabolical

Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #7...
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 06:01:19 AM »