Author Topic: The 25 Greatest MCs of All Time... 1  (Read 308 times)

davida.b.

Re: The 25 Greatest MCs of All Time... 1
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 06:58:21 PM »
I wouldn't put Snoop or Eminem up there, but other than that, great list.

RZARECTA

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Witty Unpredictable-Talent And Natural Game
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 01:57:54 AM »
left out alot of nice emcees guru ghostface raekwon method man gza redman Big L

wcsoldier

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 02:13:17 AM »
92-93 Snoop yes but after he has fallen off as a mc (though some of his albums were still dope) but like you said when it comes to impact, he deserves it. Hill and Ren wouldn't make my list ( Ren is dope but not top 25). For sure the D.O.C deserves it, if he didn't lose his voice, he would be one of the greatest. The only HUGE mistake you did is not to include GZA, he's without a doubt top 25  whether you like him or not . Great list, propz

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 02:39:51 AM »
I wouldn't put Snoop or Eminem up there, but other than that, great list.

eminem's gotta be in there dude

prolly would've been higher if he had never created Encore :-\
NO MORE WAR

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2005, 03:09:20 AM »
Now wait a minute...if Pac makes no. 2 it´s obviously not a mere skills-on-the-mic competition, which is good, since a "great" MC is not just defined by multi-syllable raping-a-dictionnary rhymes. But then, why do so many want to drop Snoop? Of course he´s not all that technically, but he brought a unique flavor to hiphop and made one of the most popular albums ever. And as fucking hard as he fell off, he´s far from a one-hit wonder. "Drop It Like It´s Hot" was a huge success, more than 10 years after his first bunch of hits. So commercially, he´s pretty consistent. All this is coming from somebody who´s not a Snoop fan at all, btw

also, there´s no dropping Eminem. Not only does he have more skills than about 25 of the others on that list, he is the second most successful rapper ever to this day, two more albums and he´ll have sold more than Pac. He is White Americas hiphop Nemesis and gave the whole genre another popularity boost. And, I´ll say it again, from "Hellbound" to "Stan" to "Real Slim Shady" to "Sing For The Moment", he´s shown mad fucking talent, no matter how wack his last album was.

Lauryn, Ren & maybe DOC or Common would be droppable, even though they´re all dope

Redman, GZA or Q-Tip could be on it. Maybe even Kool Keith, from back n the days

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2005, 05:25:54 PM »
Now wait a minute...if Pac makes no. 2 it´s obviously not a mere skills-on-the-mic competition, which is good, since a "great" MC is not just defined by multi-syllable raping-a-dictionnary rhymes. But then, why do so many want to drop Snoop? Of course he´s not all that technically, but he brought a unique flavor to hiphop and made one of the most popular albums ever. And as fucking hard as he fell off, he´s far from a one-hit wonder. "Drop It Like It´s Hot" was a huge success, more than 10 years after his first bunch of hits. So commercially, he´s pretty consistent. All this is coming from somebody who´s not a Snoop fan at all, btw

also, there´s no dropping Eminem. Not only does he have more skills than about 25 of the others on that list, he is the second most successful rapper ever to this day, two more albums and he´ll have sold more than Pac. He is White Americas hiphop Nemesis and gave the whole genre another popularity boost. And, I´ll say it again, from "Hellbound" to "Stan" to "Real Slim Shady" to "Sing For The Moment", he´s shown mad fucking talent, no matter how wack his last album was.

Lauryn, Ren & maybe DOC or Common would be droppable, even though they´re all dope

Redman, GZA or Q-Tip could be on it. Maybe even Kool Keith, from back n the days

Yeah... if I expanded the list, people would be cool... lol.

The thing is I didn't just do skillz. I looked at what everyone argues for their reason for the GOAT. If Biggie is in with a short career and one classic, the DOC should be in. Plus DOC's work with NWA, and his ghostwriting on Straight Outta Compton, Eazy Does It, and the Chronic all considered classics iced his place IMO. If you judge everyone like BIG and Pun, then DOC gets in eazy.

Snoop, from 1992 to 2000 he was a great MC, THAT'S 8 YEARS!!! No one has that kind of longivity, so I can over look the resent stuff and look MAINLY, not all, at his classic stuff.

Lauryn Hill is respected by her peers, Nas even called her the great MC in 1996. Nas saying that shows there is respect from other greats, and if many of the MCs on here are respected, and that's a huge argument with backpack fans who think they know everything about Hip-Hop, then why shouldn't Lauryn get her props. Plus her skills are dope, she dropped a classic solo album and won 5 grammies, plus people are dying to see her now, especially Hip-Hop heads. Acclaim, respect, skillz, artist, got's Nas calling her the greatest in 1996 when he was in his prime, what more can you ask from someone to make the list. They have a dick?

I am second guessing not having Q-Tip, his classics with A Tribe Called Quest were outstanding, and if I could do it again he'd be over Andre. But at the time, I was thinking about it and I had him in the 20's, and eventually off the list after debating him, Ren, Run-DMC and Common. I felt Common's 2 solo classics solidify him in the list, Ren's skillz as a gangsta rapper who you can hear his style in rappers like Ras Kass and his ghostwriting for Eazy help him out, and no way an I taking out a member of Run DMC with all they've done for MCing and Hip-Hop. So at the time it was hard, but looking back now I just had him too low, I should have placed him there, and either Ren or Common come out, but it's hard coming up with these list and not wanting to take something back.

Kool Keith, I like, his skillz were tight, GZA I'm surprised so many people are putting him on the list because he only meets skillz and respect, everything that makes every other rapper great he kind of lacks in, and Redman, I one time had Method and Red on the list, Meth as hig as 12 and Red 16, but in the end didn't think that they were that great. I mean, they are good in skillz, but they are like GZA, skilled and respect, but they are lacking something. The thing that Snoop had for so many years, what 2Pac had, what Scarface had that people called them great even though they aren't pure lyrist like Chino XL and Big L, what made those guys great is the samething that's lacking with everyone listed except Q-Tip. If I could do it again, I'd have Q-Tip.

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 02:46:44 AM »
yea man good list... few artists id removed n replaced but overal was fair reflection... props