Author Topic: Bush Administration Fuck Ups Regarding New Orleans  (Read 186 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Bush Administration Fuck Ups Regarding New Orleans
« on: August 31, 2005, 08:55:56 PM »
FYI, in 2001 the Federal Emergency Management Agency ranked the New Orleans disaster as being one of the top three likely catasrophic disasters facing the country... [/i][/size]

KEEPING ITS HEAD ABOVE WATER
New Orleans faces doomsday scenario
By ERIC BERGER
Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle Science Writer

New Orleans is sinking.

And its main buffer from a hurricane, the protective Mississippi River delta, is quickly eroding away, leaving the historic city perilously close to disaster.
So vulnerable, in fact, that earlier this year the Federal Emergency Management Agency ranked the potential damage to New Orleans as among the three likeliest, most castastrophic disasters facing this country. The other two? A massive earthquake in San Francisco, and, almost prophetically, a terrorist attack on New York City. The New Orleans hurricane scenario may be the deadliest of all.
http://www.hurricane.lsu.edu/_in_the_news/houston.htm

So what did Bush do?  Well for starters the Whitehouse denied Lousiana requested funds...[/b]

The Louisiana congressional delegation urged Congress earlier this year to dedicate a stream of federal money to Louisiana's coast, only to be opposed by the White House. Ultimately a deal was struck to steer $540 million to the state over four years. The total coast of repair work is estimated to be $14 billion.

In its budget, the Bush administration had also proposed a significant reduction in funding for southeast Louisiana's chief hurricane protection project. Bush proposed $10.4 million, a sixth of what local officials say they need.

http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/alpert083105.html

and they were planning to cut more...[/b]

In fiscal year 2006, the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is bracing for a record $71.2 million reduction in federal funding.
It would be the largest single-year funding loss ever for the New Orleans district, Corps officials said.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4200/is_20050606/ai_n14657367

And even worse, the fuck-up in Iraq is hindering our ability to respond to the disaster... [/b]

This comes at a time when National Guard troops make up 40 percent of the combat troops in Iraq. About 40 percent of National Guard soldiers from Mississippi and 35 percent of Louisiana's are in Iraq.
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/nation/12527598.htm

So how many excuses can you make for these guys? A federal agency warned way way back that this is one of the TOP 3 disasters for us to be on the look out for, and what does the white house do?  Cut funds that would help us react to such a disaster.  In the end the temporary cuts saved us nothing, aside from the obvious fact that many people lost their lives, this whole thing is gonna cost us way more because of the poor preparation.  Assholes like Cwalker wanna complain that "the blacks" are looting, well if 40% of the national guard wasn't dicking around in some bullshit war in Iraq we might be a bit closer to having the proper staffing to handle the situation. Make of this what you will, but a majority of the country is tired of the excuses. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 08:58:38 PM by Ant »

hotdamn

Re: Bush Administration Fuck Ups Regarding New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 09:05:40 PM »
Already been posted.

J Bananas

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 01:14:33 PM »
You know what I heard the Bush Administration flooded New Orleans on purpose so they could charge more for oil. those greedy republican bastards

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 05:00:58 PM »
Motherfuckers made a hurricane machine and tried to kill all the black people. 

HILLARY '08!

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 06:45:34 PM »
ignoring reality and making jokes on a message boarrd may be convenient at times, but look where you're ignorance really got you.  your almost 30 in a total loser.  your life's lack of accomplishments are a testament to your stupidity, so why you ever open your mouth is beyond me.   

hotdamn

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 06:47:49 PM »
ignoring reality and making jokes on a message boarrd may be convenient at times, but look where you're ignorance really got you.  your almost 30 in a total loser.  your life's lack of accomplishments are a testament to your stupidity, so why you ever open your mouth is beyond me.   

Don't waste your breath. The guy grew up without a father (a bastard child who grew up without a father figure... explains why he's such a fucking bitch).... and his career = taking coins out of arcades... I mean really.... what else do you expect from such a fucking failure?

Woodrow

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 02:47:29 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-050901corps,1,7189346.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

"WASHINGTON — The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said Thursday that a lack of funding for hurricane-protection projects around New Orleans did not contribute to the disastrous flooding that followed Hurricane Katrina.

In a telephone interview with reporters, corps officials said that although portions of the flood-protection levees remain incomplete, the levees near Lake Pontchartrain that gave way—inundating much of the city—were completed and in good condition before the hurricane.

However, they noted that the levees were designed for a Category 3 hurricane and couldn’t handle the ferocious winds and raging waters from Hurricane Katrina, which was a Category 4 storm when it hit the coastline. The decision to build levees for a Category 3 hurricane was made decades ago based on a cost-benefit analysis.

“I don’t see that the level of funding was really a contributing factor in this case,” said Lt. Gen. Carl Strock, chief of engineers for the corps. “Had this project been fully complete, it is my opinion that based on the intensity of this storm that the flooding of the business district and the French Quarter would have still taken place.”

Strock also denied that escalating costs from the war in Iraq contributed to reductions in funding for hurricane projects in Louisiana, as some critics have suggested. Records show that corps funding for the Louisiana projects has generally decreased in recent years."

And you're the one always complaing about "talking points"? HAHAHHAAHHAHA

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 08:27:29 AM »
whats with u just HAHAHAHAing your way though life.....finally gave up tryin to convince us u got something decent to say?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll