Author Topic: Does this make any sense?  (Read 320 times)

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Does this make any sense?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 03:52:56 PM »
People knew of the storm at least 5 days ahead of time, but instead of walking and maybe getting somewhere higher, they stay in the city and get fucked.

Walking to where?  Out of the state of lousiana?  You wanna call these people stupid and at the same time say something as dumb as what you just wrote.  What were people without cars supposed to do, just pack up and go on a 100 mile hike out of town with their kids?    What about elderly people? 

Here is a better idea, people knew about it 5 days ahead of time, how bout someone from the govt... err i dunno, a member of the Bush Administration, Homeland Security, or FEMA get some buses together and send them down.

As much as I agree that the government screwed up, there is such thing as personal responsibility. People need to take care of themselves when things don't go their way. If they were on higher ground, whether they walked 5 miles or 100 miles, they would have been safe. There is incompentence on both sides of the fence here. Just because you hate the Bush administration, don't let that blind you.

the Storm wasnt what flooded New Orleans...the levee system failing is what did. How would all these people know that the levee system, that is there to prevent flooding...would collapse?

Cmon. There was a level 5 hurricane that swept through. Anything could have happened, and it did. Better safe than sorry.

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 07:51:30 PM »
People knew of the storm at least 5 days ahead of time, but instead of walking and maybe getting somewhere higher, they stay in the city and get fucked.

Walking to where?  Out of the state of lousiana?  You wanna call these people stupid and at the same time say something as dumb as what you just wrote.  What were people without cars supposed to do, just pack up and go on a 100 mile hike out of town with their kids?    What about elderly people? 

Here is a better idea, people knew about it 5 days ahead of time, how bout someone from the govt... err i dunno, a member of the Bush Administration, Homeland Security, or FEMA get some buses together and send them down.

As much as I agree that the government screwed up, there is such thing as personal responsibility. People need to take care of themselves when things don't go their way. If they were on higher ground, whether they walked 5 miles or 100 miles, they would have been safe. There is incompentence on both sides of the fence here. Just because you hate the Bush administration, don't let that blind you.

the Storm wasnt what flooded New Orleans...the levee system failing is what did. How would all these people know that the levee system, that is there to prevent flooding...would collapse?

Cmon. There was a level 5 hurricane that swept through. Anything could have happened, and it did. Better safe than sorry.

anything...youre right. Thing is, a lot of these residents have probably been through more hurricanes then you or I could even name. Its just crazy for people to come in and say "wow...it was really a dumb idea to stay". As if all these people stranded would LIKE to be there. Obviously, if leaving was as much of an option as some of these fuckin people think...then most of the city WOULD be gone before the storm.

BTW, for all the people like CWalker who want to make this out to seem as though all these residents were out there committing murders....rapes....etc. The Police Chief in charge of the sexual assault unit in New Orleans was on tv today. His unit was solely in charge of sexual crimes being committed. He said himself that he wanted to make it clear how much the media had blown things out of proportion. He said there were only 2 confirmed rape attempts (attempts) and both people were arrested. He said there wasnt this unbelievable violence like the media said. And that people were all, for the most part, calm and cooperative.

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 02:24:39 AM »

anything...youre right. Thing is, a lot of these residents have probably been through more hurricanes then you or I could even name. Its just crazy for people to come in and say "wow...it was really a dumb idea to stay". As if all these people stranded would LIKE to be there. Obviously, if leaving was as much of an option as some of these fuckin people think...then most of the city WOULD be gone before the storm.

In my view, somewhere along the lines, the governor and/or mayor screwed up. The people should have known better too, but the local government was the one that made the mistake. 23 hurricanes hit the US in the past 14 years, and only 8 were level 3, 4 or 5. Most of which were on the eastern coast. Even Florida evacuates for a level 5.

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 12:32:54 AM »

In my view, somewhere along the lines, the governor and/or mayor screwed up. The people should have known better too, but the local government was the one that made the mistake. 23 hurricanes hit the US in the past 14 years, and only 8 were level 3, 4 or 5. Most of which were on the eastern coast. Even Florida evacuates for a level 5.

problem is, from what a lot of people say...the governor and mayor DID request help from the government before the hurricane hit...but didnt receive it. the bigger problem is, that AFTER the hurricane hit....the area STILL couldnt get proper help from the Federal Government. The Federal government was so uninterested in this that their officials didnt even know about the 1000's of people stranded outside the convention center until like 3 days after the hurricane. If you recall, we all knew at LEAST by day 2, because the news was already showing it. If you know that they could overlook something that the rest of the country already knew by now...how could you not believe that maybe they were the ones not responding to the local officials?