Author Topic: Fidel Castro: U.S. hasn't responded to Katrina offer of 1500 Doctors/26 tons med  (Read 204 times)

UAK

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/09/05/katrina.cuba/index.html

HAVANA, Cuba (CNN) -- Cuban President Fidel Castro told more than 1,500 doctors Sunday night that American officials had made "absolutely no response" to his offer to send them to the U.S. Gulf Coast to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Castro, a longtime adversary of the United States, initially offered to send 1,100 doctors and at least 26 tons of supplies and equipment, but the Communist leader announced Sunday during a televised speech that he had increased the number of physicians to 1,586. Each doctor would carry about 27 pounds of medicine.

"You could all be there right now lending your services, but 48 hours have passed since we made this offer, and we have received absolutely no response," Castro said at Havana's Palace of the Revolution.

"We continue to wait patiently for a response. In the meantime, all of you will be taking intensive courses in immunology and also something that I should be doing -- an intensive brush-up course in English."

Besides Cuba, several other countries and international agencies have offered money and supplies to the hurricane victims. (Full story)

In the past, Cuba has refused U.S. offers of aid, the most recent following Hurricane Dennis. That storm killed more than 10 people in the Caribbean island nation in July.

At that time, Castro said he would not accept help from Washington because of the U.S. trade embargo against his country. The United States has no diplomatic relations with Cuba.

Castro has named the Cuban rescue team the Henry Reeve Brigade in honor of an American who fought with Cuba's rebel forces during the Cuban War of Independence against Spain that began in 1895.

The doctors who have been mobilized went to South Asia after the December tsunami and have worked in other disasters.

Castro 8)

hotdamn

Castro is such a great guy.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yeah they too arrogant to accept foreign help, they rather let their ppl starve and get shot at.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
Sad that a cuban president is helping more than our own country's president..

Sikotic™

LOL, this is like one big joke. Politics come before lives I guess.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

ecrazy

this shit is making me sad, seriously

Sikotic™

Seriously man. I can send money all fuckin day, but it probably won't even get to the victims. I have dontated regardless, but I'm sure it hasn't helped much.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

UAK

Seriously man. I can send money all fuckin day, but it probably won't even get to the victims. I have dontated regardless, but I'm sure it hasn't helped much.

Yeah I donated money to some people in San Diego that just came from New Orleans...I heard on the radio that alot of people are coming to L.A. from New Orleans.

hotdamn

Yeah I donated money to some people in San Diego that just came from New Orleans...I heard on the radio that alot of people are coming to L.A. from New Orleans.

Yeah... a lot of them are going to Cleveland, Ohio as well... CWalker must be very happy...

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I remember watching the news and they mentioned that the people of Kuwait wnat to send half a billion dollars to the U.S but that its in the process or something

'EclipZe

why wont they just realize , life of humans > politics...

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
why wont they just realize , life of humans > politics...

I'm thinking that Bush and most Americans are just too proud. Like we won't be "SuperNation" anymore. I say fuck it and just send all the help possible.

Fathom

• 'G'
Re: Fidel Castro: U.S. hasn't responded to Katrina offer of 1500 Doctors/26 tons
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 09:12:34 PM »
LOL, this is like one big joke. Politics come before lives I guess.

Castro's aid could turn into an IOU.

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
its too late castro..ur still goin to hell

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8