Author Topic: No Rapper Was Able To Produce Continuity Between Albums Like Eminem!  (Read 546 times)

Trauma-san

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
Re: No Rapper Was Able To Produce Continuity Between Albums Like Eminem!
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2005, 11:37:27 PM »
I'd like someone to explain what makes Eminem a music genius. What revolutionary new technique has he brought upon the music world? How has he changed music as a whole?

I will explain...

#1.  He was one of the greatest lyricists ever.  You can take almost any song off of the Slim Shady LP and listen to it over and over and here a different rhyme, most rappers only rhyme the last word of each bar, his bars are layered with rhymes.  I know he's not the first rapper to do this, but I will say he took it to another level.  Even back in 1996 he was doing this as well as any rapper in the game, listen to his track "Infinite"...

"I'm Infinite/
You heard of hell/
Well I was sent from it/
I went to it servin a sentence
For murderin instruments/
and now I'm trying to repent from it/
But when I hear a beat I'm tempted to make another attempt at it/
I'm Infinite"

He admits on track 3 or 4 of Encore that his entire style of doing that is lifted from Big Daddy Kane.  It does sound great when he does it though, but I'm just saying.  Not revolutionary. 
#2.  He was a great battle rapper.  He had a mix tape with "Nail In The Coffin" and he totally ripped the Source apart, he also had an unreleased track called "Bully" and a Canibus diss track on there, these are all classic diss tracks.  Eminen came in second at the rap olympics, and he can also spit straight off the dome freestylin.
Battle rapper... but yet the only people he disses in public are pop stars.  Dilated Peoples was the only credible diss and it's just one line... I guess you could count him dissing Everlast, but by most accounts Everlast served his ass with that line about how Em's going to jail for pistol whipping somebody with an unloaded gun, and he'd send him pictures of him chilling at his house with his wife and his little girl.  He totally destroyed Eminem with that.
#3.  He's a great performer, I don't go to hip-hop concerts anymore, but I did see two of his shows back in the day, and he killed it, alot of rappers can't perform, Em is tight in the studio, and he can move a crowd, back in hip-hop's early days if you couldn't move a crowd then you weren't even aloud in the game.
He is a great performer, but so are a lot of rappers.  He's not as good of a performer as Snoop Dogg, and everybody thinks Snoop's wack anymore.
#4.  He is one of the most prolific writers, everyone knows him for his metaphors but he is also one of the greatest storytellers hip-hop has ever seen.  Listen to "Stan" or "Just the Two of Us" or "Kim", even Slick Rick can't touch that skill level. 
Prolific means you write a lot.  He doesn't write a lot.  He's had 4 albums and a handful of appearances on other stuff.  Slick Rick wrote more than that, and he's your example.  Tupac was prolific, he'd write 3 songs a day.  Eminem writes 3 songs a season. 
#5.  He's the only white dude that has been able to establish a long carear in hip-hop and excell to the top of the game.  That's no small task.
Beastie Boys.
#6.  He can rap and produce, by the time the Eminem Show came out he was producing almost 80% of his material, this is a true artist.
True, maybe in rap, but in any other genre, it's pretty common.  Especially pop, I think Kelly Clarkson produced much of her last album.  Come on. 

I'm not hating, just saying you're out of your fucking mind like usual. 

hempside

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2005, 10:59:23 AM »
it pisses me off how eminem doesnt want spotlight, what the fuck are you rapping for?!
i agree 210%.
heyheyhey smoke weed everyday.

ac1386

• Lil Geezy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2005, 08:48:45 PM »
^^ I think that is stupid, why is it wrong to not want the spotlight. Why do you have to rap for fame. He's said many times that he raps because a) he loves music b) he dropped outta school and couldnt do anything else and c) he wanted to "give hailie a life he never had." I dont see why people cant rap because they like hip hop, granted money will always be involved but some people (nas,rakim,common) i guarentee they could give a shit about the fame.

Trauma-san

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2005, 09:58:20 PM »
They would have never signed record contracts if they didn't care about the fame.  They would have made the albums themselves or independently.  If they didn't care about the fame, they would have never filmed music videos.  They all did.  The only reason to make Rock and Roll is to get money, and get women.  Common, Nas, and Rakim are all rock stars. 

ac1386

• Lil Geezy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2005, 01:34:41 AM »
you sign a contract to get paid

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2005, 12:19:42 AM »
You can thank Dre for the continuity between the albums. Thats the type of thing that producers (are supposed to) do
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 12:21:32 AM by Turf Hitta »