Author Topic: No Rapper Was Able To Produce Continuity Between Albums Like Eminem!  (Read 759 times)

The Watcher

Re: No Rapper Was Able To Produce Continuity Between Albums Like Eminem!
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2005, 01:32:21 AM »
he's given his reasons for encore bein like it was

- interscope wanted a 'poppy single', so he gave them a whole album so he can do the next album how he wants to
- he doesnt want the spotlight, hoping it might make people forget about him

First off, I dont really feed into these "reasons/excuses for releasin' a shitty ass album. Yea, even if Interscope did want Em to make a more "poppy" album thats still not an excuse for a shitty release like "Encore". How did he feel that releasin' a shitty ass album would prove a point!? Eminem could put his name on a pair of old sweaty gym socks and that shit would go platinum plus!!! And also, why would u want to fuck up ur carrer/reputation by releasin' a piece of shit album! Dont make sense to me!

Ok, he says he wanted out of the "spotlight". There is other ways of gettin' out of the spotlight then releasin' an album like "Encore"! Believe me, he could have came up with a better idea to get out the spotlight then just makin' hisself and every1 who participated in this album look like garbage!

Another thing, I seriously doubt that Dre would participate in an album that is a "ploy" to get out the spotlight. The perfectionist that Dre is I doubt he would seriously be involved in something that he knew was gonna be critized and called a joke! Thats just my 2 cents! 

if dre is a perfectionist, why did he let him release the album the way it is then? he hooked him up with some dope beats and im willing to bet he knows Em could spit ALOT better than that over them .. look at all the people sayin "Em has fallen off.." "Em aint shit, waste of talent" etc.. people are already startin to forget about him, he wont be out the spotlight soon, the damn light will be switched off "Em who?"
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

hempside

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2005, 07:16:33 AM »
Say what you want about Eminem, and we all know that by the time Encore was released Em's skills had seen their better days, but that was exactly the purpose for the album.

-On Encore, he sets off the first track "Evil Deeds" saying that he never meant to be as big as he was, and that the show is over, and he wants out of the spotlight, he knows he can't do what he was able to do before, he has said what he's got to say, but that he's not leaving without one last encore, and he's not leaving without "passing 50 the button".

-Em is a musical genius.  Take his four albums, and all four are related to one another.  He jumps off with "My Name Is" on the Slim Shady LP, but by the time Encore comes around he has been exhausted and "Rain Man" is an expression of this (with all the usual sarcasm and irony).

-The Slim Shady LP had a theme and a track about him explaining the death of his daughter's mom, then on the Marshall Mathers LP he has a song that's a prequel to that event.

-Track 2 on the The Marshall Mathers LP and track 2 on The Eminem Show both finish with the same sarcasm and irony.

-Every album had a song like "Cum On Everybody" and it was usually track 13.

-Every album had a skit from Paul.

-Every album took you deeper and deeper into his family history and background, and he left no stone unturned.  His life has been an open book and the price for this has taken it's toll.  By the time "Mockingbird" comes along on Encore, Em is reflecting on all the fame and family hardship, and he's asking to be out of the spotlight saying "One day this will all just be a dream." 

-One of Em's most underrated songs is "Say Goodbye To Hollywood" on the Eminem Show.  He's basically saying that he wants out of the spotlight, and wants a normal life, that he never expected to be as big as he was, and that he's preparing for the time when it is all over.  He finishes this thought on the next album in "Evil Deeds" when he says everyone thinks he has it so great, and their is the big show, but he can't go home, the "curtain never closes".

-He has a constant theme from Slim Shady LP and a fascination with suicide, he speaks explicitly about it in the Slim Shady LP about wanting to kill himself, and finally on Encore he does it, but "not without leaving the game without atleast saying goodbye" and he raps up his legacy on a final climatic track with Dre and 50 Cent where he says "if they hadn't seen our faces on rolling stone pages maybe they'd be raised to be racists".

........Really, Em is a genius for this, and nobody has given him the credit he deserves for dropping four albums that run together to form one of the greatest works of art of our time.

Nigga! get off that White( KLANS MAN)dick.....talk about some real shit.like how he just fucked over a legends(2-PAC) music.was that shit so "GENIUS"...close this shit....and stop supporting a racist. :grumpy:
WTF!!! does Em have to do anything wit pac? 2 different raps styles and 2 Very different rappers

and how in the fuckin world is EM a racist did i miss somethin?
Yeah by saying that shit!it seems you have missed out on alot 8)
heyheyhey smoke weed everyday.

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2005, 06:04:53 PM »
Then name one artist for me that was able to produce such a continuity between albums, leaving at the perfect moment and creating a legacy that will serve as a time capsule for our era?
Jimi Hendrix, although he didn´t wanna leave. He was a bit more of a "musical genius" than Eminem, but 1. his albums were better, 2. his legacy will always be bigger and 3. the "time capsule" is probably much more important and impressive

I agree Jimi was in a category of his own

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2005, 08:53:16 PM »
I've never really cared for eminem that much after The Marshall Mathers LP, and after Royce Da 5'9" made a bunch of fools out of D12.

Trauma-san

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2005, 11:27:32 PM »
Eminem is a great rapper, and he's very talented, but since when do we applaud people for writing things like "Oh, one day my career is going to be over".  Yeah, no shit.  Just because he's slightly, shallowly introspective, we're supposed to applaud him like he's a genius? 

To be honest, any musician can write shit like that.  I truly don't think you're intelligent enough Brian to see the best stuff he's written, the creative side of Eminem was often the side making a parody of the culture he's became part of. 

The deep meaningful stuff is all pretty blase to me.   True, for a emcee he does a better job than most of explaining feelings and situations in songs, "Like Toy Soldiers" is a good example.  Not many emcees would have pulled something off like that and made it so creative and expressive. 

Compare him to a songwriter from nearly any other genre though, and he comes out looking like a dwarf.  Even blues singers get the point across better than he does... Listen to B.B. King sing "I been down hearted baby... I been down hearted baby... EVVVVER since the day you left... EVVVVER since the day you left" you can hear what he feels in his voice, something Eminem's incapable of, and you can get tons of emotion out of simple lyrics.  B.B. also writes and plays the song on guitar, while Eminem can't play shit but a drum machine.  That's just a blues example, one of the simplest genres of music, take any other songwriter and it grows exponentially.

Not taking anything away from Eminem, though... I was listening to Encore today and he's really a master at what he does.  Nobody else in rap today is on his level, in my opinion, but fuck what do I know. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2005, 11:37:27 PM »
I'd like someone to explain what makes Eminem a music genius. What revolutionary new technique has he brought upon the music world? How has he changed music as a whole?

I will explain...

#1.  He was one of the greatest lyricists ever.  You can take almost any song off of the Slim Shady LP and listen to it over and over and here a different rhyme, most rappers only rhyme the last word of each bar, his bars are layered with rhymes.  I know he's not the first rapper to do this, but I will say he took it to another level.  Even back in 1996 he was doing this as well as any rapper in the game, listen to his track "Infinite"...

"I'm Infinite/
You heard of hell/
Well I was sent from it/
I went to it servin a sentence
For murderin instruments/
and now I'm trying to repent from it/
But when I hear a beat I'm tempted to make another attempt at it/
I'm Infinite"

He admits on track 3 or 4 of Encore that his entire style of doing that is lifted from Big Daddy Kane.  It does sound great when he does it though, but I'm just saying.  Not revolutionary. 
#2.  He was a great battle rapper.  He had a mix tape with "Nail In The Coffin" and he totally ripped the Source apart, he also had an unreleased track called "Bully" and a Canibus diss track on there, these are all classic diss tracks.  Eminen came in second at the rap olympics, and he can also spit straight off the dome freestylin.
Battle rapper... but yet the only people he disses in public are pop stars.  Dilated Peoples was the only credible diss and it's just one line... I guess you could count him dissing Everlast, but by most accounts Everlast served his ass with that line about how Em's going to jail for pistol whipping somebody with an unloaded gun, and he'd send him pictures of him chilling at his house with his wife and his little girl.  He totally destroyed Eminem with that.
#3.  He's a great performer, I don't go to hip-hop concerts anymore, but I did see two of his shows back in the day, and he killed it, alot of rappers can't perform, Em is tight in the studio, and he can move a crowd, back in hip-hop's early days if you couldn't move a crowd then you weren't even aloud in the game.
He is a great performer, but so are a lot of rappers.  He's not as good of a performer as Snoop Dogg, and everybody thinks Snoop's wack anymore.
#4.  He is one of the most prolific writers, everyone knows him for his metaphors but he is also one of the greatest storytellers hip-hop has ever seen.  Listen to "Stan" or "Just the Two of Us" or "Kim", even Slick Rick can't touch that skill level. 
Prolific means you write a lot.  He doesn't write a lot.  He's had 4 albums and a handful of appearances on other stuff.  Slick Rick wrote more than that, and he's your example.  Tupac was prolific, he'd write 3 songs a day.  Eminem writes 3 songs a season. 
#5.  He's the only white dude that has been able to establish a long carear in hip-hop and excell to the top of the game.  That's no small task.
Beastie Boys.
#6.  He can rap and produce, by the time the Eminem Show came out he was producing almost 80% of his material, this is a true artist.
True, maybe in rap, but in any other genre, it's pretty common.  Especially pop, I think Kelly Clarkson produced much of her last album.  Come on. 

I'm not hating, just saying you're out of your fucking mind like usual. 

hempside

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2005, 10:59:23 AM »
it pisses me off how eminem doesnt want spotlight, what the fuck are you rapping for?!
i agree 210%.
heyheyhey smoke weed everyday.

ac1386

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2005, 08:48:45 PM »
^^ I think that is stupid, why is it wrong to not want the spotlight. Why do you have to rap for fame. He's said many times that he raps because a) he loves music b) he dropped outta school and couldnt do anything else and c) he wanted to "give hailie a life he never had." I dont see why people cant rap because they like hip hop, granted money will always be involved but some people (nas,rakim,common) i guarentee they could give a shit about the fame.

Trauma-san

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2005, 09:58:20 PM »
They would have never signed record contracts if they didn't care about the fame.  They would have made the albums themselves or independently.  If they didn't care about the fame, they would have never filmed music videos.  They all did.  The only reason to make Rock and Roll is to get money, and get women.  Common, Nas, and Rakim are all rock stars. 

ac1386

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2005, 01:34:41 AM »
you sign a contract to get paid

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2005, 12:19:42 AM »
You can thank Dre for the continuity between the albums. Thats the type of thing that producers (are supposed to) do
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 12:21:32 AM by Turf Hitta »