Author Topic: Paul McCartney - Chaos And Creation In The Backyard  (Read 603 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Paul McCartney - Chaos And Creation In The Backyard
« on: September 13, 2005, 09:49:44 AM »
01 - Fine Line.mp3   4.77 M   
02 - How Kind of You.mp3   6.91 M   
03 - Jenny Wren.mp3   4.98 M   
04 - At the Mercy.mp3   4.03 M   
05 - Friends to Go.mp3   4.23 M   
06 - English Tea.mp3   3.01 M   
07 - Too Much Rain.mp3   5.58 M   
08 - Certain Softness.mp3   3.89 M   
09 - Riding to Vanity Fair.mp3   7.89 M   
10 - Follow Me.mp3   3.57 M   
[ Results Truncated - Show All Files ]
11 - Promise to You Girl.mp3   4.56 M   
12 - This Never Happened Before.mp3   4.29 M   
13 - Anyway.mp3   10.82 M   

new album? im guessing, heres the rolling stone article

The premise of Paul Mccartney working with Nigel Godrich was clear from the start. McCartney wanted a producer who appreciated his storied past but at the same time believed that, at sixty-three, he has a vital future. For his part, Godrich -- who is best-known for his work with Radiohead and Beck -- had expressed interest in collaborating with an established artist whose reputation extended further back than the Nineties. A win-win, right?

Right. Chaos and Creation in the Backyard is the freshest-sounding McCartney album in years. It is as spare, in its way, as Driving Rain (2001), his most recent studio effort, but it's more daring, more assured and more surprising. For starters, Driving Rain was a band album, while this is a genuine solo album in that McCartney plays nearly all the instruments on it -- four of the album's thirteen tracks credit no other musicians. It's an approach that recalls McCartney, the homemade 1970 release that launched the singer's post-Beatles career. And as on that record, the tingling sense of a new beginning is palpable.

Though it's clearly the product of a true partnership between the artist and his producer, Chaos is instantly recognizable as a McCartney album. For one thing, that voice is front and center, as wistful and full of yearning as ever, effortlessly lending these songs a rich sense of emotional conviction. And that grounding frees Godrich to roughen up McCartney's innate melodic smoothness. "Jenny Wren" is an acoustic ballad in the manner of "Mother Nature's Son." But a solo on duduk -- a haunting, hollow-sounding Armenian woodwind -- transports the song into an unsettled, dreamlike realm and darkens its mood. Similarly, the string arrangements that permeate the album rigorously avoid the romantic lushness typical of McCartney in the past. Instead, they slither in and out of the mix, providing eerie atmospherics to songs like "Riding to Vanity Fair." Instruments such as melodica, harmonium, harpsichord and spinet introduce distinctly non-rock elements into McCartney's sound and contribute to an overall feel of delicate, stately surrealism.

All of the above means, alas, that, with a couple of exceptions, Chaos doesn't rock -- its most significant drawback. (When McCartney tears off a guitar solo on "Promise to You Girl," the effect is jolting.) But without feeling showy, Chaos seduces the listener into a playful world of musical ideas that shimmer and disappear. The sound bears a complex relationship to the album's theme, an autumnal assessment of the things that fade and the things that last. What fades are the enervating distractions of daily life, every ego-charged detail that seems critical at the moment but that causes us to lose "sight of life day by day."

And, for McCartney, of course, what lasts is love -- the engine of the creation mentioned in the title, the ultimate weapon against chaos. This is not the silly love of "Silly Love Songs." It's the challenge of one of his most famous lyrics: "And in the end, the love you take/Is equal to the love you make." It's a call to a better self, in other words, and a promise that, as he sings in "Anyway," this album's closing track, "If a love is strong enough, it may never end."

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
Re: Paul McCartney - Chaos And Creation In The Backyard
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 09:57:53 AM »
Word is it's top notch. Might pick it up tomorrow if I have time.

Only heard the single once, from what I remember it was good.
Well she moved in ways
That kept her there in our minds for days
Weeks and months it was
I was that amazed and there she stays
Surrounded by the what-ifs and the maybes

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 11:31:03 AM »
It's gonna be great. Paul has been consistent, and arguably his greatest album was from 1997, with 2 excellent ones in 99 and 01. He's still got it. I might pick it up today, for sure in the next week though.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 11:53:27 AM »
ye im downloading it, and i cant wait, to go to his concert on the 22nd

TNB

• 'G'
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 03:26:35 PM »
I've heard Fine Line, great song, sounds like a song McCartney recorded years ago.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 08:02:23 PM »

I saw him in concert in October 2002.  It still hasn't sunk in.  One of the most surreal nights of my life. 

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 08:58:17 PM »

I saw him in concert in October 2002.  It still hasn't sunk in.  One of the most surreal nights of my life. 

I could imagine. I don't think I could ever go to a Paul concert.

Anyone seen the Back In The US 2002 DVD, with all the people losing their emotions? That would be me. No question about it.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 03:34:03 AM »
I´d definitely go see him, but i think he ain´t coming to Europe....

I´ll listen to the album soon, Rolling Stone gave it a 4.5/5, and I haven´t seen them give a new album a straight 5 since I´ve been reading the magazine. And everybody´s saying it´s top notch

TNB

• 'G'
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 10:23:59 AM »
I went to a Paul McCartney concert in 2003 at the Liverpool Albert Docks. One of the best concerts I have ever been to! I also went to The Cavern club before the concert. It was amazing to be in the place where The Beatles started out from, I don't think the club has even changed a bit by the looks of it.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 10:38:45 AM »

I´ll listen to the album soon, Rolling Stone gave it a 4.5/5, and I haven´t seen them give a new album a straight 5 since I´ve been reading the magazine. And everybody´s saying it´s top notch

DIdnt they give SMiLE a 5 ?

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 10:56:54 AM »

DIdnt they give SMiLE a 5 ?

I have to mention, I´m referring to Rolling Stone Germany and I don´t have the issue in which they reviewed SMiLE....not denying anything, but a 5 in that mag is def something VERY rare and even a 4.5 means a lot

Rick

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Kweli
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 02:05:57 PM »
Rolling Stone gave Late Registration a 5.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 02:20:29 PM »
^ YEA they did.. fuck outta here

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 02:26:19 PM »
Rolling Stone gave Late Registration a 5.

US Rolling Stone maybe, German didn´t

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 08:32:35 PM »
teach me some basic Hellos and Goodbyes in german, to impress my family and friends during the upcoming world cup   :D