Author Topic: BLACKALICIOUS 'Blazing Arrow' is awesome  (Read 265 times)

Tito

BLACKALICIOUS 'Blazing Arrow' is awesome
« on: May 02, 2002, 06:35:38 AM »
This new Blackalicious album is something special.....awesome!
P-I-C-K- I-T -U-P- ! ! ! ! !

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=2002293337/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=Blackalicious/itemid=1542470

There are still some groups that know how to create a buzz the old fashioned way -- word of mouth. Case in point is California's subterranean pride and joy Blackalicious. Though Gift of Gab and Chief Excel spent ten-years crafting their trade in the independent ranks, they've finally found their way to the major leagues and a major label (MCA) with their fourth effort Blazing Arrow.
Though Gift and Excel continue to exhibit an overwhelming chemistry on the luscious "Make You Feel That Way," "Sky is Falling" and the lyrically obese "Paragraph Preside," Blazing Arrow is highlighted by a host of impressive collaborations. These include guest spots from west coast counterparts like Jurassic 5's Chali 2Na ("4000 Miles") and Cut Chemist ("Chemical Calisthenics"), and Dilated Peoples' Rakka & DJ Babu ("Passion").

While independent mainstays like Blackalicious are usually accused of selling when attempting to expand their fan base beyond the underground, Blackalicious remains an exception to the rule -- as the same attributes (honest vocals, luscious samples, and an uncanny chemistry) that made the duo such a revered name on the underground circuit are the same qualities that make the duo's transition to a major label virtually seamless.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

=[Euthanasia]=

Re: BLACKALICIOUS 'Blazing Arrow' is awesome
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2002, 09:40:51 AM »
Yeah, I read about this in last months Source. When I eventually see this around i'll most prolly pick it up. Those guest spots sound hot too.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2002, 09:54:58 AM »
yeah tight, im feelin these guys n gettin into their music lately, dope, pz

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Scribe

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2002, 10:01:06 AM »
This is a very tight album, best of the year in my opinion.
"Without The Elements It's All Irrelevent" Jurassic 5

"This world better acknowledge me I'm over ambitious
Do almost anything to rob a genie for his wishes." 57th Dynasty

"We didn't give a toss about money, fame or stardom
Just about the culture, the music, slang and jargon." Blak Twang

"Freedom Is A Road Seldom Travelled By The Multitude" Public Enemy

"If Ignorance Is Bliss Then Knock The Smile Of My Face" Zach De La Rocha

GEED-UP-HUSTLER

• Lil Geezy
  • Reppin' tha West!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2002, 02:07:20 PM »
pick it up at the Wherhouse, it's only $9.99 and it comes with a bonus disc with two extra tracks and their video.

js83

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2002, 08:14:31 PM »
pick it up at the Wherhouse, it's only $9.99 and it comes with a bonus disc with two extra tracks and their video.

At Best Buy, its only $7.99....i might have to cop it tomorrow..

DJ_Jay_Deee

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2002, 08:50:05 PM »
I got this CD for free today. I haven't listened to it i got it like 5 mins ago. My dad does deleveries(he owns a newsagency) and he delevers to a company who distributes cd's and they gave him a whole bunch of cd's 4 free. There were like 2 full albums and about 6 singles. But blackalicious was the only decent cd. Im gonna go listen 2 it now.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2002, 12:34:40 AM »
I got this CD for free today. I haven't listened to it i got it like 5 mins ago. My dad does deleveries(he owns a newsagency) and he delevers to a company who distributes cd's and they gave him a whole bunch of cd's 4 free. There were like 2 full albums and about 6 singles. But blackalicious was the only decent cd. Im gonna go listen 2 it now.

Lucky bastard! lol  ;D I havn't seen it here yet in the UK, but i'll be looking out for it on my next record shop.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.