Author Topic: Why Do Hip-Hop Artists Like To Limit Themselves?  (Read 790 times)

SGV

Re: Why Do Hip-Hop Artists Like To Limit Themselves?
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2005, 08:37:51 PM »

I'm talking about the secene in general, not a couple rappers. Hip Hop in general had very little to do with Gangsta Rap until NWA and later Dre alone hit it big commercially. There were a lot more Run DMCs than Ice Ts in 1987 and before.

Harlem was notorious for it's black gangs in the 20s and 30s. They had a lot to do with lottery gambling, prostitution and drugs. But the music was Jazz and it was never about thug life or the life of crimne on a stupid way. Artists were artists and thugs were thugs. Real gangsters turn to art to get away from the reality of the street while the fake wanabe thugs make thug art to seem more credible. Lately it had shifted slightly, but it will shift back once there is no money to be made with it.

Commercially, yes. The Ice-T's, Just Ice's, N.W.A.'s etc. were lesser known at the time. But, they made a HUGE impact on Hip Hop because the streets related to what they had to say. Which is why Gangsta rap isn't gonna die out Commercially.

Now, sure, Harlem had it's gangs, but it never spread like Bloods, Crips, Folks, GD's and Vice Lords. Those are the reasons Hip Hop is why it is the way it is. I don't know why you don't get it.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2005, 10:03:16 PM »

I'm talking about the secene in general, not a couple rappers. Hip Hop in general had very little to do with Gangsta Rap until NWA and later Dre alone hit it big commercially. There were a lot more Run DMCs than Ice Ts in 1987 and before.

Harlem was notorious for it's black gangs in the 20s and 30s. They had a lot to do with lottery gambling, prostitution and drugs. But the music was Jazz and it was never about thug life or the life of crimne on a stupid way. Artists were artists and thugs were thugs. Real gangsters turn to art to get away from the reality of the street while the fake wanabe thugs make thug art to seem more credible. Lately it had shifted slightly, but it will shift back once there is no money to be made with it.

Commercially, yes. The Ice-T's, Just Ice's, N.W.A.'s etc. were lesser known at the time. But, they made a HUGE impact on Hip Hop because the streets related to what they had to say. Which is why Gangsta rap isn't gonna die out Commercially.

Now, sure, Harlem had it's gangs, but it never spread like Bloods, Crips, Folks, GD's and Vice Lords. Those are the reasons Hip Hop is why it is the way it is. I don't know why you don't get it.

Everything dies out commercially. Why can't you get that? You think rap is going to be a big seller forever? It's like saying shock TV and reality TV are going to drive the TV industry forever. Shock TV hada huge spike with Jerry Springer and the WWF, but both of those are way down in popularity and Reality TV is starting to show it's fading. Rap will be replaced by a new pop music. That's just what happens. Will rap cease to exist? No, but it won't be the commercial driving force it is now.

As for the thugs, you make it sound like the majority of blacks in America are gang members. The majority of gangsta rappers probably aren't even gangsters, and more gang related. There are plenty of kids in the ghetto areas that don't gang bang and if you think the children of the current black teens and young adults are going to be into the same music that their parents are in to then your crazy. nNot only will Gangsta Rap fall from it's high horse as this sales monster but it will vanish faster than you can say Grunge, Hair Metal, Frat Rock, or Motown RnB. If you expect to be hearing gangsta rap as a major force in music 10 to 25 years from now then you better brace yourself for a surprise.

SGV

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2005, 02:05:20 AM »

Everything dies out commercially. Why can't you get that? You think rap is going to be a big seller forever? It's like saying shock TV and reality TV are going to drive the TV industry forever. Shock TV hada huge spike with Jerry Springer and the WWF, but both of those are way down in popularity and Reality TV is starting to show it's fading. Rap will be replaced by a new pop music. That's just what happens. Will rap cease to exist? No, but it won't be the commercial driving force it is now.

As for the thugs, you make it sound like the majority of blacks in America are gang members. The majority of gangsta rappers probably aren't even gangsters, and more gang related. There are plenty of kids in the ghetto areas that don't gang bang and if you think the children of the current black teens and young adults are going to be into the same music that their parents are in to then your crazy. nNot only will Gangsta Rap fall from it's high horse as this sales monster but it will vanish faster than you can say Grunge, Hair Metal, Frat Rock, or Motown RnB. If you expect to be hearing gangsta rap as a major force in music 10 to 25 years from now then you better brace yourself for a surprise.

Commerically, like I said, Rap's about Gangsta shit will always top Hip Hop. Period.

Gang's are not going anywhere. While banging is not at it's peak right now, it's still deep. You don't understand that because you're in a different country. Understand: Bloods and Crips are NEW to NY. Bloods and Crips are still active in L.A. (along with Latin Gangs). Gangs are beginning to spread heavily to different countries (Read up on El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala). I can go on. You just don't seem to understand, as long as there is Rap and Gangs there WILL be Gangsta rap.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2005, 12:19:49 PM »

Commerically, like I said, Rap's about Gangsta shit will always top Hip Hop. Period.

Gang's are not going anywhere. While banging is not at it's peak right now, it's still deep. You don't understand that because you're in a different country. Understand: Bloods and Crips are NEW to NY. Bloods and Crips are still active in L.A. (along with Latin Gangs). Gangs are beginning to spread heavily to different countries (Read up on El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala). I can go on. You just don't seem to understand, as long as there is Rap and Gangs there WILL be Gangsta rap.

We have gangs in Toronto too. It's actually a little different here because in Toronto the ghettos are made small but there are many of them. Just in a 20 minute walking distance I can go to 5 or 6 different ghettos. In the city altogether there are a lot more and a lot of these gangsters come from the Carribean where there was worse gang wars going on. Rap is the main focus as far as music goes and gangsta rap is that main focus.

Maybe you're right to say as long as rap is commercial it'll be at the top, but rap won't be commercial for too long and when the thugs realize there isn't money to be made in music then it'll go back to the artists. It's already shifted a bit in the sense that it's alot more about bragging about riches than bragging about thugging. Don't tell me you think rap is going to stay on top forever, or even 5 to 10 years from now.

SGV

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2005, 12:50:18 PM »

We have gangs in Toronto too. It's actually a little different here because in Toronto the ghettos are made small but there are many of them. Just in a 20 minute walking distance I can go to 5 or 6 different ghettos. In the city altogether there are a lot more and a lot of these gangsters come from the Carribean where there was worse gang wars going on. Rap is the main focus as far as music goes and gangsta rap is that main focus.

Maybe you're right to say as long as rap is commercial it'll be at the top, but rap won't be commercial for too long and when the thugs realize there isn't money to be made in music then it'll go back to the artists. It's already shifted a bit in the sense that it's alot more about bragging about riches than bragging about thugging. Don't tell me you think rap is going to stay on top forever, or even 5 to 10 years from now.

I'm very sure there's people already rappin' that gangsta shit in Toronto, too. Cuz that's their environment. I guess you don't understand that yet. These gangs have become apart of people's family history. Families have generations of bangers from the same set. How could it not influence their music?

I never once said Rap was gonna be on top forever? Where did you get that from? Stick on the subject man.

herpes

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2005, 01:11:36 PM »
shallow why do you post here.  Ive never seen you say one positive thing about rap, so why waste your time.  are you a rock fan that enjoys busting the balls of rap fans.  Look if you hate rap so much an think its inferior to every other genre of music and nas aint worthy of suckin bruce springstein off, why keep pounding it into our heads for.  We really dont care, we enjoy and thats all that matters. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2005, 01:56:55 PM »

I'm very sure there's people already rappin' that gangsta shit in Toronto, too. Cuz that's their environment. I guess you don't understand that yet. These gangs have become apart of people's family history. Families have generations of bangers from the same set. How could it not influence their music?

I never once said Rap was gonna be on top forever? Where did you get that from? Stick on the subject man.

You said I couldn't understand because I was in another country, that's why I brought it up. You also implied that Gansta Rap isn't going anywhere, but I'm saying when rap falls it will change it's focus. The thug shit will get boring even to the thugs. In fact most of the higher level thugs who have served a few bids for everything from armed robbery to murder don't even listen to gangsta rap or rap all that much. They listen to anything from Marvin to Peter Macintosh. It's the fake thugs that do most of the gansta rapping around here and from what I've read from interviews by gang members most of the rapping below the border too.

With every generation tastes change. 80s music was nothing like 90s music as a whole and and the 2010s will be nothing like the 2000s most likely. Not just in the main stream but at home. All it'll take is for one rapper from the hood to make a huge album about something other than glorifying gang life amd objectifying women and it'll change the whole game because people will star flocking to that style. It doesn't have to be religious. It could be anything. It could be about race car driving for all I know. Or here's a thought, it could be about real life situations in a realistic objective light, and it's out there already. Al it needs is the right people to start buying it (suburban white kids) and the major record labels will start dropping gangsta rappers.

And Corey. I came here about 4 years ago as a West Coast Hip Hop fan. Since that time I have been listenining to other kindds of music and watched rap destroy itself creatively. I'm not complaing, I'm just calling it hoow it is. To quote Jeru the Damaja; "99.9 Pa Cent of these niggas ain't shit". Replace "niggas" with rappers and you'll see my opinion.