Author Topic: Does the West Coast sound need to be revolutionized?  (Read 896 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Does the West Coast sound need to be revolutionized?
« on: September 14, 2005, 08:59:59 PM »
As most of you all know, I go to school in Florida, and I think I have realized somethin.....it may be time for the west coast to completely revamp and change their style to where it doesn't even sound like it's that much influenced by the G-Funk era. I have talked to many people outside the west, and one of the reasons (along with 200) that many of them don't like west coast music that much is because they feel our overall sound is burnt out, and that aside from Dre, nobody has really attempted to re-define the sound of what is considered to be west coast music. So as much as we love G-Funk, modernized G-Funk like what Quik and Battlecat do, I feel that it may be necessary for us to grow into a new style to set us apart from the rest. This is definitely not an overnight process, and will not come easy, but I feel that it is necessary.

Think about it like this....since the early 90s, The south and east coast have changed their overall sound of music many various times, but the west hasn't really done that aside from Dre. With the south, Early Outkast sounds a lot diff from what No Limit and Cash Money started doin, which sounds a lot diff from what Lil Jon does, and there are many styles that have come and gone for them. But with The West, our sound has remained the same, and even though we still love it, we can't expect the world to love it as much, especially since they don't get to hear it as much as we do. I feel that this next generation of producers need to push the envelope and re-define what people consider to be west coast music. I feel that other than Dre, the only one that's really done that is Rick Rock.

GangstaBoogy

Re: Does the West Coast sound need to be revolutionized?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 09:06:12 PM »
yep. and the west coast fans need to step it up. the west coast is gonna be stuck in a timewarp until our sound changes & we start having more commercial artist
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 10:05:25 PM »
it was revolutionized back in 2000-2001...Battlecat brought sumthin different during that time (Pleezbaleevit!)

soopadoopaflykid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Iguess
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 10:09:15 PM »
i dont think we need to change that much we just need our shit to sound like it wasnt made at some dude's house. We need our shit to sound more professional. Anways i feel hypy type of music is the next thing to blow and it could be the new sound to define the west.

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 10:13:11 PM »
Yeah it does. The shit is getting stale. That's why all the successful west coast acts reach out to other producers.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 10:19:37 PM »
I think its also because of the Fans because everytime someone brings sumthin different they r the first to hate

Tha G In Deee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • If it don't make dollaz, it don't make sense.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 10:35:45 PM »
I think it should be revolutionized soon too...eventually tha sound will have to change because I'm sure no one wants to hear 'G-Funk' or Battlecat-style beats forever...

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 10:39:35 PM »
^^^damn whos that in your sig homie

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 10:43:51 PM »
iv been talkin 2 friends too.. and i was playin some music (cant remember if it was Crooked I or Sly Boogy) and my friend said that all the west coast people sound the same to him and thats why he doesnt really listen 2 it like other things

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 10:56:32 PM »
I think its also because of the Fans because everytime someone brings sumthin different they r the first to hate

hell yeah!
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

EastsideLBC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 11:00:08 PM »
I dont really think we need to change our whole style but I think what really hurts west-coast artists is that they think they gotta stay "too" gangsta and wont come together as a west-coast community and put aside all the gang bangin' and just make music. There is only 1 thing I agree wit Suge on. He said the reason why Death Row was so sucessful is it was the only west-coast label that u seen bloods and crips workin' together as a team to drop some heat. Thats the truth. And until cats from the west can give up they stripes long enough to come together and make music then the west will still be the underdog.

Diabolical

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 12:01:35 AM »
iv been talkin 2 friends too.. and i was playin some music (cant remember if it was Crooked I or Sly Boogy) and my friend said that all the west coast people sound the same to him and thats why he doesnt really listen 2 it like other things

I could say the same for east coast rap too.

I would say WC rap has changed more than any other style, i dont think "G thang" sounds anything like "California" by Sly Boogie(for example)

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 02:41:23 AM »
Yeah, I definitely think we need some kind of new sound. Actually, the beat from MLK (213) sounded pretty tight! It wasn't G-Funk but it's still West Coast.
And that song from The Relativez latest album with Young Hootie & Mitchy Slick "Soo Woop Gangsta" had a nice sound too...it's West Coast but on a different vibe.

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 04:12:34 AM »
I would say that DJ Quiks new album brought a new sound again, it's not as groundbreaking as Dre's 2001 cause that had a better chance to develop to a bigger audience. But it sounds nothing like the old G-Funk that we know. That dude switched it up again with his cold ass music, but he still kept the Quik signature.
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Addicted To Cake

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Whos Next?
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 04:33:28 AM »
thos Roger Troutman Hand Claps are so fuckin played out. enough of them already.