Author Topic: Does the West Coast sound need to be revolutionized?  (Read 904 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Re: Does the West Coast sound need to be revolutionized?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 05:56:01 AM »
it was revolutionized back in 2000-2001...Battlecat brought sumthin different during that time (Pleezbaleevit!)

LOL that was 4-5 years ago, that's a long time in music. Hip Hop overall sounds a whole lot different from how it did back then.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 06:00:53 AM »
iv been talkin 2 friends too.. and i was playin some music (cant remember if it was Crooked I or Sly Boogy) and my friend said that all the west coast people sound the same to him and thats why he doesnt really listen 2 it like other things

Yeah, that's how a LOT of people outside the West feel. Even though I don't always agree, and even though they do like some of the shit I play em, I can see why they think some of it sounds the same and why they don't really want to hear it like we do. To me, a lot of East Coast shit does sound the same too, but they have a few diff styles of production on the East, and the only reason they are still big in the scene is because they will always be in because they started it and they can get away with that. There's a certain portion of East Coast music that only appeals to East Coast fans, and in most cases, it doesn't sell that good. Aside from 50 and Jay, there aren't many East Coast rappers that really sell a lot.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 06:34:43 AM »
I would say that DJ Quiks new album brought a new sound again, it's not as groundbreaking as Dre's 2001 cause that had a better chance to develop to a bigger audience. But it sounds nothing like the old G-Funk that we know. That dude switched it up again with his cold ass music, but he still kept the Quik signature.

yeah...All of DJ Quiks album are innovative. Quik always come up with some new fresh sound but still keeps it Westcoast.

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 07:01:23 AM »
Well i feel ya man westcoast cats are very similar when u listen to em but hmm to be frank i dont know which way they could go.Maybe re-introduce scratchs because for sum reason it disappeared to the benefit of more''melodious '& chorus'' stuffs  which is good in a way but gangsta funk/rap lost a lil bit of its taste.

I seen on tv dat dj Qbert have invented a new scratch table which is a table mixer&scratch gathered ...that is interesting i believe

beside these technical details,We need sumeone that invente a new kind like Dre,Gdub or Alt did a mixture of sounds ...Easy to say :-\
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

CanadActive

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Only one GOAT... MJ
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 07:32:39 AM »
I agree that the West Coast sound got to be a little bit revolutionized.  But there's something I would like to say, South or East Coast sounds (or wherever you are, at long that it's not on the West Coast) create new stuff (I agree) but do someone just notice how long it takes for a song to be forgotten.  The point is most of the East Coast classiks are mid 90's to early 2000's (same for the West Coast).  So, they are maybe creating something, but that something if far from classik materials.  They sound new, but they quickly forgotten and then there replaced by another "new sound" who will live shortly.  Of course there's exeptions (Mos Def, Talib, Kanye, Outkast, etc (IMO)), but the West Coast have exeptions to (Dre, Snoop (yes, he create new sound), Quik, Kokane, etc (IMO)) so I think it's pretty much te same.

There will always be artists who like their own style so much, so they ain't never gonna change (Mc Eiht with that west coast gangsta shit, Ja Rule with all those RnB collabo, Daz with that dontgiveafuckaboutnothing attitude, battlecat with that clap, Eminem who seems to drop the same beat every time he produce a song, etc (IMO)).  But those artists are as much in the West then in the East.

I prefer a great track that I could listen in 10 years and still love, rather then a track that I love now and hate in 2 weeks.  Even if the West Coast sounds alike sometimes, I think it's because people just don't listen carefully.  Cause those song are well produced most of the time.

(sorry for the bad english)
Now c'mon haters, hates on my post.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 07:42:19 AM by Sim Corleon »
The Canadian Polish

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 07:52:23 AM »
iv been talkin 2 friends too.. and i was playin some music (cant remember if it was Crooked I or Sly Boogy) and my friend said that all the west coast people sound the same to him and thats why he doesnt really listen 2 it like other things

I could say the same for east coast rap too.

I would say WC rap has changed more than any other style, i dont think "G thang" sounds anything like "California" by Sly Boogie(for example)
I agree. We could get a new sound, but I don't think that is really the reason why wc rap hasn't been in the spotlight. I believe it has alot more to do with marketing and promotion. If the mtv and bet groupies could bump all the garbage coming from the east coast and the south, then with the right label I think wc rap could most definitely comeback in the spotlight. Also I believe quik's trauma brought a new sound once again like he always does, except this time he kept the west coast flavor which is mad tight.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

BMoore

• Lil Geezy
  • B-MOORE.NET: Get At Me
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 08:11:15 AM »
maybe not revolutionized, but definetly updated a bit. It seems like some more west coast artists are reaching out to more east coast producers so thats not going to help either.

Recent Interviews:
Crooked I
Boot Camp Click

Review Update:
Chapter 13 - Nevermore's Asylum
AZ - A.W.O.L
Tony Yayo - Thoughts of a Predicate Felon
Kanye West - Late Registration
Jim Jones - Harlem: Diary of a Summer

Elevz

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 10:41:05 AM »
People need to start seeing the difference between revolution and evolution. The westcoast sound has always had some sort of evolution going on, but it's been obvious for years that this shit is mad played out. A revolution is well needed... Hit the world with an entire new sound, have people amazed and bring the west REALLY back to what it once was.

Like Aaliyah once said, we need a revolution. ;)

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 10:46:51 AM »
It seems a lot of people judge good music by how much it sells, the west aint selling so there cant be no good artists. i think the west has some of the most original and innovative artists and beats there is. I dont think there is any need for drastic change.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 11:03:23 AM by KURUPTION-81 »

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 10:50:11 AM »
^ yea exactly.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2005, 11:07:07 AM »
I think the bay is revolutionizing the sound with Rick Rock producing "Hyphy" tracks, westcoast version of crunk, everybody can get down to that, especially in the clubs

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2005, 12:02:55 PM »
shit won't change till Detox drops
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005, 04:32:52 PM »
It seems a lot of people judge good music by how much it sells, the west aint selling so there cant be no good artists. i think the west has some of the most original and innovative artists and beats there is. I dont think there is any need for drastic change.

I agree.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

dubee

• 'G'
  • "it dont matta, as long as my pocket gets fatta"
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 05:21:43 PM »
I think the bay is revolutionizing the sound with Rick Rock producing "Hyphy" tracks, westcoast version of crunk, everybody can get down to that, especially in the clubs

Elevz

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 05:38:06 AM »

How can something that's not totally refreshing be a revolution to music?