Author Topic: Does the West Coast sound need to be revolutionized?  (Read 898 times)

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Does the West Coast sound need to be revolutionized?
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2005, 08:45:10 AM »

it's gonna take completely new blood to start doin somethin different to be accepted by the majority of west coast fans and regular mainstream fans. 

Its plenty of artists out here doin new shit that has the potential to blow up. I really cant think of a new artist that has the old sound. Even most of the old artists dont have that sound anymore. I think people just got the idea that cali artists is all still on the same old shit just cause the last time they heard from us was back when shit sounded like that.

I think the biggest thing keepin cali from the forefront is most of the new artists wanna be independent. Turf Talk, Ya Boy, Crooked I, etc all indie. The Federation was on a major but i dont think they had ANY of the typical major label support. Sly boogy was on j records but I dont know what the hell happened to his record (did he get dropped?). It seems like even when the majors give us a chance they really aint givin us a chance. How come the Federation didnt have no videos on 106 n park? How come they wasnt on the radio outside of the Bay? Seems like the only time cali can get any national exposure is on BET Uncut and how many people is actually watchin that?

FunkTechNician

• 'G'
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2005, 08:56:21 AM »
Alright i just ment like the westcoast should bring a new sound without trying to sound like everyone else. i dont care if its popular or not. i love the gfunk sound but i wouldnt mind hearing something new but that doesnt mean they have to do what mtv bet wants and have that sound everyone else has now adays. What i love about the west is the funk influence in the beats. i think by trying to sound like everyone else they arnt gonna blow up if thats what wants to happen. they need to bring something completly new. also unity not enough of it. i dont think westcoast rappers have to spit about gangsta shit but when they do over south beats it dont sound right with there flow. so id like to hear a new flow that matchs some hard new style beats. and lyrically sly boogy is on another level. his freestyle's are insane. there is a lot of underground talent here that isnt appealing to the masses thats still good. i understand to you ny and south dont sound the same to you but they do to me. kinda like the boom clap all sounds the same to you. i think the west or whoever should bring more soul to there music. music from back in the days you could feel them putting there heart into it. Now i dont feel shit. Another problem i see is our best lyricist dont have production to back them up but lyrics dont matter these days i dont really hear anything being talked about much. Are problem too is our most popular artists right now arnt that great and catchy. i think if anyone could bring something with the westcoast feel but something new would be quik. he just needs to get the right artists with the right catchy chorouses that appeal to the people. plus marketing and promotion is a problem we have. if we had enough videos and promotion on tv mtv bet etc people wouldnt be tired of the west. We are not the in fad right now. Its hard to convince the masses that something that was once blown up would blow up again which is problem with stickin to strictly gfunk sound. its like dances. in the early 80s popping and bboying were popular by the late 80s people started new jack swing dancing and if you were to pop or break in the club they would be like that shits old and played out. We cant bring the same old formulas. maybe some of the gfunk incluence mixed with something totally new.

FunkTechNician

• 'G'
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2005, 09:04:05 AM »
another problem i see is people dont know how to listen to music. they wouldnt know what sounds good if it bit them in the ass. its all about what mtv convinces them. and what mtv and magazines say is where the girls go. and where the girls go is where the guys start to follow. people are brainwashed with garbage.

also to the artists that were just mentioned only one good there is crooked i. ya boy? not only is that name stupid as hell so are his lyrics and so are his beats. i cant see him blowin up. if people wanna blow up they either need credit already or something totally new or promote the hell out of themselfs.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2005, 09:14:20 AM »
Alright i just ment like the westcoast should bring a new sound without trying to sound like everyone else. i dont care if its popular or not. i love the gfunk sound but i wouldnt mind hearing something new but that doesnt mean they have to do what mtv bet wants and have that sound everyone else has now adays. What i love about the west is the funk influence in the beats. i think by trying to sound like everyone else they arnt gonna blow up if thats what wants to happen. they need to bring something completly new. also unity not enough of it. i dont think westcoast rappers have to spit about gangsta shit but when they do over south beats it dont sound right with there flow. so id like to hear a new flow that matchs some hard new style beats <snip>

I think the difference with the rap of today as opposed to the rap of yesterday, is that today, these pople grew up on rap which is not the most musical art form. The rap artists of yesterday grew up on funk, soul, jazz, etc (real music), so they had a completely different influence back then. Today a lot of rap dont even sound like music, just noise over drum patterns and I think that has a lot to do with a lack of real musical influence. If there is gonna be a new sound in rap, its gonna take for real musicians to create it, not some all in one "producer" with a synth and a software loop program.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2005, 09:25:07 AM »
also to the artists that were just mentioned only one good there is crooked i. ya boy? not only is that name stupid as hell so are his lyrics and so are his beats. i cant see him blowin up. if people wanna blow up they either need credit already or something totally new or promote the hell out of themselfs.

Im not a fan of Ya Boy and I agree he got a dumb ass name, but I was just speakin in terms of who could have a chance to do it big. He got the kids out here lovin his shit for whatever reason. And I dont see how you can say Turf Talk aint tight. He's easily my favorite new rapper. And I can see not liking the Federation, but they are the kings of hyphy. Nobody make that get stupid music better than them. And Crooked I as far as Im concerned is the best rapper out (next to E40), but I guess he is just happy to watch his shot pass him by, knowin that he could have been somebody.

As far as Quik changin the sound of rap, i dont see it. He makes great music but he has never been very revolutionary, like i said in another post. He makes the best funk beats since Ant Banks retired, but nothin really new. A lot of the time I think rap has just run its course, and will disappear like funk and disco did.

Realbiggsteele

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2005, 11:15:51 AM »
I fell ya turf, but this the number 1 music in the WORLD so it aint going no where, it may evolve, but it aint going no-where

FunkTechNician

• 'G'
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2005, 12:11:17 PM »
Alright i just ment like the westcoast should bring a new sound without trying to sound like everyone else. i dont care if its popular or not. i love the gfunk sound but i wouldnt mind hearing something new but that doesnt mean they have to do what mtv bet wants and have that sound everyone else has now adays. What i love about the west is the funk influence in the beats. i think by trying to sound like everyone else they arnt gonna blow up if thats what wants to happen. they need to bring something completly new. also unity not enough of it. i dont think westcoast rappers have to spit about gangsta shit but when they do over south beats it dont sound right with there flow. so id like to hear a new flow that matchs some hard new style beats <snip>

I think the difference with the rap of today as opposed to the rap of yesterday, is that today, these pople grew up on rap which is not the most musical art form. The rap artists of yesterday grew up on funk, soul, jazz, etc (real music), so they had a completely different influence back then. Today a lot of rap dont even sound like music, just noise over drum patterns and I think that has a lot to do with a lack of real musical influence. If there is gonna be a new sound in rap, its gonna take for real musicians to create it, not some all in one "producer" with a synth and a software loop program.

Exactly what you just said. i couldnt have said it better myself.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2005, 12:33:15 PM »
I fell ya turf, but this the number 1 music in the WORLD so it aint going no where, it may evolve, but it aint going no-where

Thats true, it is on top for now, but once upon a time disco and funk were on top too, and we all know how that story ends.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2005, 03:41:27 PM »

Thats true, it is on top for now, but once upon a time disco and funk were on top too, and we all know how that story ends.

But those were only around for 5-8 years strong...rap's been here since 79 and is continuously at a high point....so it's DEFINITELY here to stay. Nothing near a fad....it's a music form to the point that there will be many fads inside of Rap, but Rap itself is nothing near a a fad. It wiill just evolve, whether in a good direction or not.

FunkTechNician

• 'G'
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2005, 07:18:08 PM »
5-6 years strong for funk? you must be crazy. there is so many styles of funk just like there is rap/hiphop.. from 50s - 89/90 funk was around and strong. from james brown to chuck brown to parliament to prince to gap band to zapp & Roger and so many others. also in 87 funk was still strong cause they had a label called budweiser same as the beer but was owned by don king he had contests held in every major city and each winner had a 12 inch put out. theres 1000s of these rare 12inchs around. even still people still have funk george clinton parliment just droped an album this month. also to me funk evolved into rnb. for instance gap bands charlie wilson went from funk to singin rnb. he evolved from funk into the rnb. but rap isnt going anywhere either but im ready for the next style already. i hope that whatever it is they have listened to lots of music from the past. i think artists need to understand more about music history and producers too and not just makin stupid beats.  i wouldnt mind hearing more instruments in there too.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2005, 08:25:50 PM »
5-6 years strong for funk? you must be crazy. there is so many styles of funk just like there is rap/hiphop.. from 50s - 89/90 funk was around and strong. from james brown to chuck brown to parliament to prince to gap band to zapp & Roger and so many others. also in 87 funk was still strong cause they had a label called budweiser same as the beer but was owned by don king he had contests held in every major city and each winner had a 12 inch put out. theres 1000s of these rare 12inchs around. even still people still have funk george clinton parliment just droped an album this month. also to me funk evolved into rnb. for instance gap bands charlie wilson went from funk to singin rnb. he evolved from funk into the rnb. but rap isnt going anywhere either but im ready for the next style already. i hope that whatever it is they have listened to lots of music from the past. i think artists need to understand more about music history and producers too and not just makin stupid beats.  i wouldnt mind hearing more instruments in there too.

I mean 5-6 to where Funk was what EVERYBODY in the nation was ridin to...yeah I know funk itself has been around forever and is still around. But it was only mainstream and at a high level for a few years.

Mr. RuthlessG

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2005, 08:57:25 PM »
I from the south but I will say this the west coast sound does not and did not need to change it was fine the way it was.  Just because a certain coast didn't and doesn't like the west coast sound doesn't mean it's bad.

FunkTechNician

• 'G'
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2005, 09:39:24 PM »
ya i feel the same way i dont like the south but they shouldnt change what they are doing.

LatinoThugPassion

• 'G'
  • Theze Nuttz
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2005, 07:08:03 PM »
i personally feel the west needs to change its sound to an extent
see like on dj quiks cd and some of the songs i heard from bishop lamount and warren g
and crooked I theres some beats ive heard these guys on that was pretty dope
but to appeal to the club and to the mainstream you need to take that extra mile
the artist needs a off the chain beat that says westcoast but makes a girl wanna get down
and make a G crip walk or do whatever it is he wanna do somthing that will appeal to all audiences
and the'd need about 3 or 4 of these tracks per album then with your additional
laid back kickin it songs like warren gs single and your pimp tracks like black mercadez
i mean black mercadez is ILL but its not really club its more of a nod your head
smoke and drink song or cruise in the ride. but the west needs to reinvent its sound as a whole
and the thing is funk aint gonna do it' i know out in cali and in detroit and shit they still bump funk records like zapp and roger but right now soul is more bumped everywere else
youll hear al green and marvin being bumped more right now' westcoast producers need to sample or create beats that were influenced outside of the whole zapp and roger claps

Today in my college my homie told me he dont like 75% of cali music today cause it all sounds the same the clap and bouncy beats and talkin bout blood and cuzz and dippin and trippin

and the pimp jive suga fee and e 40 do dont appeal to alot of people everywere else

see if you kick it outside of cali youll see the traditional cali sound doesnt blend in in alot of places
you cant vibe with g funk in no tower project made of bricks or when its snowing out
you cant vibe wit it in alot of diffrent places but the south has so many sounds you can vibe with it in almost any state or country the west needs to cater to the rest of the country cause it already caters to itself too much cause truth be told cali alone cant make the west blow up
but the whole world buying cali product
Latin Thug Passion

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2005, 07:46:12 PM »
^^^when people say they dont like cali music cause all they talk about is bloods and crips all that says is that they aint heard enough Cali shit to know what they talkin about. When it comes to rap ALL I listen to is Cali shit and besides the og LA (cali is more then LA and ogs) rappers, nobody is talkin about that shit no more. I think people basin their opinions on todays Cali shit on the sound that was comin out 10-15 years ago cause the shit that comes out of Cali now is on a whole different hype. Plus the new artists aint gettin airplay nowhere else but here. Nobody can tell me that Messy Marv - Hypnotic aint platinum material with mass appeal, same with The Team - Gettin Hot In Here and a gang of other shit. People eed to actually hear the shit comin outta here before they make these assumptions. it aint their fault though, its the janky ass clear channels and other media outlets thats blacklistin us if we aint fuckin wit dre. its a cold game for cali these days.