Author Topic: Toronto board considering school for black youth  (Read 661 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Toronto board considering school for black youth
« on: September 15, 2005, 04:59:14 AM »
Toronto board considering school for black youth
CTV.ca News Staff

A published report says the Toronto District School Board's new equity expert is looking at establishing a black-only school in the city, as a way of combating a high dropout rate and problems with suspensions.

Lloyd McKell, the new executive officer of student and community equity for the board, told the Toronto Star that city schools don't do enough to make students of all backgrounds feel valued.

McKell told the Star a black-focused pilot school would be helpful for at-risk pupils, offering more black teachers, an Afro-centric curriculum and a more nurturing environment.

The school board confirmed that it is looking at the idea.

"I think we're talking about the possibility of a school that would have black-focussed programs -- but they'd be available to any student who wanted to attend them," board chair Sheila Ward told CTV News Toronto.

Ward insists the board needs to do more to prevent at-risk students from dropping out. And since the Safe Schools Act was introduced five years ago, more than 1,000 kids under the age of seven have been suspended. The majority of those suspensions are African-Canadian youth.

Ward says that of the suspension hearings she has attended, 98 per cent involved students of colour. "That says to me -- there's some kind of a problem."

McKell told CTV News he didn't want to comment directly on the proposal.

"I'm not going to speculate on what kind of a model we develop," he said Wednesday. "We do know that we are looking at the particular needs of students who have come forth to us and tell us that they need some adjustments in the way we deliver education."

Ward says a model for the school has been developed over the past summer. "Black students have told us they have had particular needs to be engaged in our schools that makes them feel a true part of our system."

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1126753727013_118?hub=Canada

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Bill O Reilly

Re: Toronto board considering school for black youth
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 11:26:01 AM »
Whats next, mandatory armbands?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 12:11:12 PM »
I actually think this a great idea. As much as I feel pride is a sin I fully understand the part it plays in bringing up a community. To fill young blacks with self pride and identity, and give them the tools they need to adavance in Toronto would greatly benefit the black community. Faith or culture based schools are nothing new to Toronto. We've yet to have a school as prominant as the one proposed here, and these schools arre usually requested and paid for privately by the parents of the children, but in this case we have a small problem with black youths and it could become a big problem. I feel this is a great step in preventing that from happening.

It doesn't discriminate. You don't have to be black to go to the school, although I feel bad for all the as we say it in Toronto, "wiggers", who think it'll be cool to go to a black school. As long as they don't take out important Canadian history and replace it with black history I'll be fine. There is room to teach both. I also hope that they don't do what the greek schools up here do and teach the culture as superior. I hate talking to fellow greeks who won't shut up about ancient Greece and how great it was. I also feel it would be important to have a majorty black staff, with a back principal, but with white, asian(both Indian and oriental), arab and west indian teachers as well, as it would nbe smart to expose the children to proper examples of all prominant races here in Toronto.

Once again, great idea. It feels good to be Canadian (as it always does).

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 12:19:06 PM »
  ;D

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 02:50:06 PM »
They have all black schools with all black staff and curriculum here in America. They are called Afro-centric schools and they are 100% bullshit. They are supposed to"uplift self esteem and pride" among black students and ultimately improve their learning. Of course it doesn't work.

Basically they are always looking for new excuses to improve black people's poor academic performance. It is funny how other ethnic groups don't need these schools to achieve.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 02:55:57 PM »
They have all black schools with all black staff and curriculum here in America. They are called Afro-centric schools and they are 100% bullshit. They are supposed to"uplift self esteem and pride" among black students and ultimately improve their learning. Of course it doesn't work.

Basically they are always looking for new excuses to improve black people's poor academic performance. It is funny how other ethnic groups don't need these schools to achieve.

Socio-economic conditions due to an oppression that lasted centuries.

You know what else is funny? Blacks being forced into slavery.... or it only being about 40 years since Blacks achieved "equal rights".... or Blacks being considered three-fifths of a human being.... yeah these are things that just crack you up

I guess the Polish stereotype is true... you guys really are dumbfucks.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 02:58:19 PM »
Socio-economic conditions due to an oppression that lasted centuries.

You know what else is funny? Blacks being forced into slavery.... or it only being about 40 years since Blacks achieved "equal rights".... or Blacks being considered three-fifths of a human being.... yeah these are things that just crack you up

I guess the Polish stereotype is true... you guys really are dumbfucks.

Blacks in Canada have been oppressed for centuries??????? And that makes them misbehave in school and mess up on tests?

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 03:12:01 PM »

Damn... you really are a fucking retard...
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 03:14:56 PM »

What is the excuse for Canada then?

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 03:19:48 PM »

Don't refer to a reason as an excuse.

As for Canada, I don't know enough about the history and conditions of blacks there to comment on whether or not there are any external factors that may play a role.

However, my post was in response to your post, not the original one... and in your post you were talking about America, and I showed you that you're a dumb, ignorant motherfucking Polish Communist... and this isn't the first time I've proven that to you... so hopefully sooner or later you'll come to the realization that you're a retard and admit it to yourself first, and then others.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 03:31:25 PM »
CWalker, do you feel like a dumbass again? Is that why you feel the need to send me messages? Look, I'm sorry if I make you feel like the retard that you are... but I promise you it's for your own good, and the stuff I'm teaching you will benefit you in the future, but there really is no reason to send me messages like this

Quote from: CWalker187
Shouldn't you be out beheading infidels like your beloved prophet (peace be upon him)?

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 04:38:22 PM »

a good deal came from America through the underground railroad.

as for the skool, i think itz a good idea. a lotta the ppl that drop out actually are intelligent, they juss arent motivated. As long as the teacherz arent sum prickz and can actually relate to studentz problemz, it would help em a great deal and and hopefully help studentz put their intelligence to good use.

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 07:28:55 PM »

as for the skool, i think itz a good idea. a lotta the ppl that drop out actually are intelligent, they juss arent motivated. As long as the teacherz arent sum prickz and can actually relate to studentz problemz, it would help em a great deal and and hopefully help studentz put their intelligence to good use.

That's incorrect. Between 80 to 90 percent came from the carribean starting in the late 60s. The ones that came though the railroad went to Nova Scotia mostly and live in nice quiet towns for the most part. If you close your eyes when you're there you'd think you were in a white Canadian town. They talk and act just like the white towns in that area. It's weird. The carribeans had a great deal of shit to go through over the past 400 years.

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 07:53:19 PM »

That's incorrect. Between 80 to 90 percent came from the carribean starting in the late 60s. The ones that came though the railroad went to Nova Scotia mostly and live in nice quiet towns for the most part. If you close your eyes when you're there you'd think you were in a white Canadian town. They talk and act just like the white towns in that area. It's weird. The carribeans had a great deal of shit to go through over the past 400 years.

im juss usin wut i saw on those historic factz thingz that come on tv here lol.
thz for correction tho, alwayz good to find out more info  8)

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Sikotic™

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 08:09:21 PM »
They are called Afro-centric schools and they are 100% bullshit. They are supposed to"uplift self esteem and pride" among black students and ultimately improve their learning. Of course it doesn't work.

Yeah, and I'm sure you would know, right?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE