Author Topic: Mos Def's Katrina Klap Blasts the Administration - New Music Video Online  (Read 174 times)

walrustooth

• Lil Geezy
Taking back his position as Brooklyn's own controversial and conscious emcee, Mos Def addresses the hurricane disaster, racism and the president on "Katrina Clap." On the song, which uses the original beat from Juvenile's "Nolia Clap," Mos cries out to God to "save the streets" and each person to donate at least "$1" for relief efforts.

http://www.presstheissue.org/

Walrus

walrustooth

• Lil Geezy
Mos Def Toronto Interview is now in the presstheissue.org forum.

Last thursday, Mos Def hosted and performed at a hastily organized benefit at the Crystal Room on Queen St. Over $4000 was raised for the Red Cross. No sooner had we sat down on the patio to talk with the new Toronto resident than a fan walking by on the street recognized the rapper and hugged him.

Q: As you can see, we're glad to have you here.
A: I love for y'all to have me. And thank God for y'all city. Harriet Tubman knew what she was doing.

Q: So why did you want to make "Dollar Day"?
A: Why not, really? I'm just a human being and I see human beings suffering, and a lot of them human beings happened to look a lot like me. Pain in life is inevitable, but that kind of suffering is extra.

Q: Tell me about the song. Why'd you use the Nolia Clap (a beat originally used by Crescent City rapper Juvenile)?
A: Because it's New Orleans. It's something that people from the communities could recognize. My real aim with "Dollar Day" is, God willing, to raise $250 million independently, to help adjust the means of the poorest and the weakest, in not just New Orleans but all throughout the Delta region.

Q: I'm sure you saw Kanye West. What did you think about his comments?
A: I agree. The funniest thing about the response to what Kanye said is this: Black people have been saying that about, not just (President George W.) Bush, but many of the administrations in America. Their lack of concern for black people, poor people, is true. You know, action kills argument.

Q: Where should people send their money?
A: There are a lot of charities out there using this incident as an opportunity to fatten their pockets. People have to really think about how they can help. And I'm challenging myself on what it is I can do. I'm not necessarily a revolutionary. I'm a rebel. I have no ambitions beyond just trying to be useful.
To be perfectly honest with you, the entire notion of celebrity, the attendants, is slightly uncomfortable... as an artist, I need to be in a space where I can observe life as opposed to having everyone observe me.

Trauma-san

Mos Def doesn't care about White People.