Author Topic: R.I.P Willie Hutch  (Read 538 times)

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
R.I.P Willie Hutch
« on: October 01, 2005, 08:39:32 AM »
In case you weren't aware or haven't been checking out the site, Big Hutch's uncle, the famed Motown songwriter and producer Willie Hutch, returned to the Creator on September 19th, 2005. In case you are unfamiliar with Willie Hutch's work, we've included some information, you may find helpful (Thanks to Ms. Raquel Sanchez).
In respect to the Hutchison family, we here at ABVDLAW.COM will be paying homage all month to Willie Hutch. You will hear tracks that made Willie Hutch a household name and be sure to join the Parliament (messageboard) and check out what fans/supporters have to say about all things ABOVE THE LAW.

Again, we here at ABVDLAW.COM celebrate the life and accomplishments of Willie Hutchison.

West Up,
ABVDLAW.COM

MEMPHIS- Millions of R&B and Motown fans are mourning the loss of Willie Hutch. The soul singer and songwriter died last night at his home in Dallas, Texas. The cause of death has not yet been released. Hutch was 60-years old.

He was born Willie McKinley Hutchinson in 1946 in Los Angeles, but was reared in Dallas, where he released his first debut solo single, "Love Has Put Me Down." Hutch put out his first album in 1964 and went on to produce and write a number of albums.

In 1970, record producer Hal Davis asked Hutch to help finish off a song he desperately needed completed for the Jackson 5. That song was "I'll Be There." The Jackson 5 recorded Hutch's version the next day, and it eventually became one of the group's early hits. It also led to Motown head Berry Gordy hiring Hutch as a songwriter-producer for other Motown artists on a regular basis.

News Channel 3 spoke to Hutch's band leader shortly after the news of his death broke overnight. Luke Weathers remembers Hutch as a musical genius and exceptional songwriter.

Hutch also wrote the entire album for the 70's movie "Foxy Brown", and produced albums for Michael Jackson and Smokey Robinson. He even wrote a song for the soundtrack to the movie "Hustle and Flow".

Hutch's back-up band for the last two years, "7 Down" lives in Memphis.

News Channel 3 also spoke to Willie Hutch's manager, Anthony Voyce, early this morning by phone. "I've never met a more generous and caring person to have been around. To have a man to have been around like that, is amazing. We're going to miss him".

Family and friends are not saying exactly how Willie Hutch died late last night.

Willie Hutch Biography

born Willie McKinley Hutchinson, 1946, Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

Hutch grew up in Dallas where he sang with The Ambassadors.

A keen and ambitious singer / songwriter as a teenager, Willie first came to the attention of the music business in 1964 when his debut single 'Love Has Put Me Down' was released by the Soul City Records label.

His songs attracted the attention of The Fifth Dimension who recorded a number of them.

Willie himself recorded with Venture prior to two albums in the early 70's with RCA (including 'Let's Try It Over').

In 1970, he received a phone call from producer Hal Davis who urgently needed a song written to a backing track he had entitled 'I'll Be There'.

By 8 am the next morning, The Jackson 5 were in the studio recording it.

Willie later co-arranged vocals on 'Got To Be There' and 'Never Can Say Goodbye' for the group, impressing Berry Gordy who employed him at Motown on a more permanent basis.

Willie produced the first Smokey Robinson album without The Miracles, and when Sisters Love had a cameo role in 'The Mack', the group's manager suggested Willie record the soundtrack.

The result was 'The Mack', including 'Brother's Gonna Work It Out' and 'Slick', Willie's first album for Motown in 1973. (Willie also worked with Sisters Love on 'Mr Fix-it Man'.)

His other albums at the label included 'The Mark Of The Beast' (1975); 'Concert In Blues' (1976), including 'Party Down'; 'Color Her Sunshine' (1976), including 'I Like Everything About You', 'Havin' A House Party' and 'Fully Exposed' before he joined the Whitfield label for two albums, 'In Tune (1978), including 'Easy Does It', and 'Midnight Dancer'.

In 1982, he wrote 'Keep The Fire Burning' for Gwen McCrae and returned to Motown for three collaborations with Berry Gordy.

The first was a duet for The Four Tops and Aretha Franklin 'What Have We Got To Lose' (1983), the second a song / production for Sammy Davis Jnr, 'Hello Detroit' (1984), and the third a soundtrack album for Berry's film 'The Last Dragon' (1985).

This soundtrack included a Willie Hutch single 'The Glow'.

During this period at Motown he wrote/produced 'Sexy Ways' for The Four Tops and released two albums, 'In And Out' (1985) and 'Making A Game Of Love' (1985), including 'Keep On Jammin'.

Willie has also written and / or produced for The Miracles, The Main Ingredient ('California My Way'), Junior Walker, Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye, among others.

Willie released two albums in the Nineties. 'From The Heart' and 'The Mack Is Back'. Both sets were well received.

Albums:
Soul Portrait (RCA 1969)
Seasons For Love (RCA 1970)
The Mack (Motown 1973)
Fully Exposed (Motown 1973)
Foxy Brown (Motown 1975)
Mark of the Beast (Motown 1975)
Ode to My Lady (Motown 1975)
Concert in Blues [live] (Motown 1976)
Color Her Sunshine (Motown 1976)
Havin' a House Party (Motown 1977)
In Tune (Whitfield 1979)
Midnight Dancer (Whitfield 1980)
In & Out (Motown 1983)
Making A Game Of Love (Motown 1985)
From the Heart (GGIT 1994)
The Mack is Back (Midwest 1996)
Sexalicious (Midwest 2002)

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: R.I.P Willie Hutch
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 08:47:30 AM »
R.I.P.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 09:10:23 AM »
Yeah I read about this a week or so back, too bad.

RIP.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 09:46:13 AM »
R.i.P

One day everything is gonna be fine
But until that day my only reply "westside till I die"  -TQ

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

The Sorrow aka Maurice

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 10:06:14 AM »
R.I.P.

Wicked977

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 818 VALLE Bitches!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 10:41:58 AM »

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 11:01:01 AM »
brothas gonna work it out

RIP

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 01:54:24 PM »
*Bumps "Brothas Gonna Work It Out" in his honor*

RIP
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Tha G In Deee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • If it don't make dollaz, it don't make sense.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 03:37:25 PM »
what song did he write for hustle & flow  ??? 

R.I.P
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 09:50:26 PM »
That song "The Glow" was sick, I bump that even now

R.I.P.