Author Topic: Eminem To Be On The Next Biggie CD  (Read 672 times)

GATMAN

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Eminem To Be On The Next Biggie CD
« on: October 04, 2005, 07:19:09 PM »

The musician's career continues with a new duets album, featuring a cut with reggae legend Bob Marley. In life, the two never met.

"Hold Ya Head," a new song pairing Notorious B.I.G., who was shot to death in 1997, and reggae icon Bob Marley, who died in 1981, is the latest beyond-the-grave collaboration to push the limits of musical repurposing. The track electronically unites two performers who never so much as shook hands during their lifetimes, much less spent time together in a recording studio.

"It used to be that when an artist died, his career was over," said Nelson George, author of "Hip Hop America." "That's not true anymore."
Rap duet —An article in Monday's Calendar about rap duets said that the Tupac Shakur-Notorious B.I.G. duet "Runnin' (Dyin' to Live)" was on the album "Loyal to the Game." It was on the album "Tupac Resurrection."
Released last week on the AOL Music site and as a promo track for radio DJs, "Hold Ya Head" will be included on "The Notorious B.I.G. Duets: The Final Chapter," a new collection overseen by the rapper's friend, mentor and now tireless B.I.G. proselytizer, Sean "Diddy" Combs.

"To me, the record is eerie and ironic and really moving," Combs said by phone from New York, where he was laying down some rap vocals for "Duets." The album features several unreleased Biggie recordings and pairs him with Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige, Nas and Ludacris, among others.

In "Hold Ya Head," as in several of his most famous songs, B.I.G. contemplates suicide as well as his own demise by unnatural causes. The single's chorus — the "duet" aspect — is a repurposed sample from Marley's 1976 protest song, "Johnny Was": "Woman hold her head and cry/ 'Cause her son had been shot down in the street and died."

For most rap fans, it will be impossible to ignore the real-life parallel: Biggie (real name: Christopher Wallace) was in a car parked outside of Los Angeles' Petersen Automotive Museum in 1997 when he was slain.

Combs isn't expecting rap fans to be shocked at this beyond-the-grave collaboration.

"It's not like it's Bob Marley and Britney Spears, you know what I'm saying?" Combs said. "It's Bob Marley and Biggie! You could picture them in the studio smoking together."

But not everyone is so sure.

Roger Steffens, a reggae authority and coauthor of "Bob Marley and the Wailers: The Definitive Discography," doubts that the collaboration would have sat well with the Jamaican singer.

"Bob reflected the Rastafarian beliefs that you don't harm anyone," he said. "I don't know that Biggie, who really had a reputation as a thug, would be the kind of person Bob would have wanted to be associated with."

(For his part, Combs said he cleared the licensing agreement for the "Johnny Was" sample with the singer's brothers, Stephen and Damian Marley, and received the family's explicit approval.)

"Unforgettable," Natalie Cole's 1991 duet with her late father, Nat King Cole, is recognized as the first posthumous pop collaboration to grab mainstream attention; it earned a Grammy nomination and sold more than 10 million copies. But "Hold Ya Head's" more direct antecedent is the 2004 Tupac Shakur-Notorious B.I.G. duet single, "Runnin' (Dyin' to Live)" — the first major hip-hop remix sonically juxtaposing two deceased artists into a single song. The album it appears on, Shakur's "Loyal to the Game," debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's Top 200 Albums chart last year.

"They put Biggie and Tupac together because they're great artists — they didn't do it because they're deceased artists," Combs observed. "When it's two people who aren't here, you can't force the vocals to have chemistry. It has to mesh together."

"Hip Hop" author George says Combs' efforts need to be considered within the larger context of hip-hop, which has a rich history of appropriating sounds, manipulating voices and using technology in unexpected ways.

"Hip-hop has always been a postmodern art form, a collage music," George said. "With hip-hop — as with modern technology — the past is not the past anymore. So nobody who's ever made a record is immune to being sampled in a hip-hop record."

Shakur, who was killed in Las Vegas in 1996, has sold more records from the grave than in life. His posthumous albums, made up of tracks from a seemingly bottomless trove of unreleased material, have sold more than 8 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Combs admits to modeling the "B.I.G. Duets" album on Frank Sinatra's "Duets 2," which electronically paired the deceased crooner with various artists. But the recent commercial successes of two posthumous B.I.G. tracks motivated him to get the project off the ground.

"When 50 Cent first came out, he took Biggie's vocals [on 'The Realest N---as'] and then Ashanti took Biggie's vocals [on 'Unfoolish'] and to see the success they had?" Combs said. "Those were both [from] No. 1 records."

According to Combs, "Duets" will expend the last of Wallace's previously unheard material. "That," he said, "is why it's called 'The Final Chapter.' "

As George sees it, these hip-hop duets from beyond the grave should be recognized for what they really are: a sincere form of admiration.

"Hip-hop culture is very adventurous and unsentimental," he said. "We revere our artists. We treat the tracks as sacrosanct. And that spills over to where we want to keep creating so we can keep the artists in the mix."

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl...op-blurb-right

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Eminem To Be On The Next Biggie CD
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 08:01:56 PM »
of course he is...

WestCoasta

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 08:04:54 PM »
of course he is...
this guy is such a fag, acting like he fuckin knew these dead guys or somethin

why are they even making another CD?  this is pathetic, and I'm not even a Biggie fan, let his ass rest in peace

Mr. Humonculous

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 08:08:38 PM »
wont be as good as the dead wrong remix

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 08:11:25 PM »
^ def not, that was a sickening verse.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 12:06:30 AM »
of course he is...
this guy is such a fag, acting like he fuckin knew these dead guys or somethin

why are they even making another CD?  this is pathetic, and I'm not even a Biggie fan, let his ass rest in peace

WestCoasta

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 12:41:05 AM »
someone needs to ask that dick Eminem (since he's such an asshole anyways)

if you died, would you want some stranger who you didn't know to go in your vault, take out songs and revise, mix, and fuck with your vocals and add his own voice to your track and have tons of people make money off something you made yet your dead and there's nothing to be done about it?

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 12:53:21 AM »
Great another CD he's gonna ruin ::)

WestCoasta

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 01:00:39 AM »
Great another CD he's gonna ruin ::)
fuck that, another rappers good name he's gonna ruin

DJ_PK

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 01:11:53 AM »
For what it's worth, I thought Eminems work on Tupac's Resurrection was pretty dope.

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 02:00:25 AM »
dayum this news sucks.. i used to be a big fan of bigg's. and you know em'z not goin to do nething good with this project, his just cashing in on his name and trying to get the non-teeney boopers back in his music...  >:(

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 02:18:09 AM »
again i dont know if this is good or bad news. em has fallen off real crucial like as of late, but his production has gotten better. hopefully this track will be like "Drama Setter", where he laces a nice beat and comes with a coo hook.

so was that line-up we read about a year ago false? i remember it said that DJ Quik would be producing "Going Back to Cali" featuring Snoop
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 02:33:40 AM »
i think peope should shut up and wait to hear the finished product before mouthing off about ruining projects...im just looking forward to hearing some unreleased Biggie...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 06:18:56 AM »
i think peope should shut up and wait to hear the finished product before mouthing off about ruining projects...im just looking forward to hearing some unreleased Biggie...

hempside

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 06:28:17 AM »

The musician's career continues with a new duets album, featuring a cut with reggae legend Bob Marley. In life, the two never met.

"Hold Ya Head," a new song pairing Notorious B.I.G., who was shot to death in 1997, and reggae icon Bob Marley, who died in 1981, is the latest beyond-the-grave collaboration to push the limits of musical repurposing. The track electronically unites two performers who never so much as shook hands during their lifetimes, much less spent time together in a recording studio.

"It used to be that when an artist died, his career was over," said Nelson George, author of "Hip Hop America." "That's not true anymore."
Rap duet —An article in Monday's Calendar about rap duets said that the Tupac Shakur-Notorious B.I.G. duet "Runnin' (Dyin' to Live)" was on the album "Loyal to the Game." It was on the album "Tupac Resurrection."
Released last week on the AOL Music site and as a promo track for radio DJs, "Hold Ya Head" will be included on "The Notorious B.I.G. Duets: The Final Chapter," a new collection overseen by the rapper's friend, mentor and now tireless B.I.G. proselytizer, Sean "Diddy" Combs.

"To me, the record is eerie and ironic and really moving," Combs said by phone from New York, where he was laying down some rap vocals for "Duets." The album features several unreleased Biggie recordings and pairs him with Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige, Nas and Ludacris, among others.

In "Hold Ya Head," as in several of his most famous songs, B.I.G. contemplates suicide as well as his own demise by unnatural causes. The single's chorus — the "duet" aspect — is a repurposed sample from Marley's 1976 protest song, "Johnny Was": "Woman hold her head and cry/ 'Cause her son had been shot down in the street and died."

For most rap fans, it will be impossible to ignore the real-life parallel: Biggie (real name: Christopher Wallace) was in a car parked outside of Los Angeles' Petersen Automotive Museum in 1997 when he was slain.

Combs isn't expecting rap fans to be shocked at this beyond-the-grave collaboration.

"It's not like it's Bob Marley and Britney Spears, you know what I'm saying?" Combs said. "It's Bob Marley and Biggie! You could picture them in the studio smoking together."

But not everyone is so sure.

Roger Steffens, a reggae authority and coauthor of "Bob Marley and the Wailers: The Definitive Discography," doubts that the collaboration would have sat well with the Jamaican singer.

"Bob reflected the Rastafarian beliefs that you don't harm anyone," he said. "I don't know that Biggie, who really had a reputation as a thug, would be the kind of person Bob would have wanted to be associated with."

(For his part, Combs said he cleared the licensing agreement for the "Johnny Was" sample with the singer's brothers, Stephen and Damian Marley, and received the family's explicit approval.)

"Unforgettable," Natalie Cole's 1991 duet with her late father, Nat King Cole, is recognized as the first posthumous pop collaboration to grab mainstream attention; it earned a Grammy nomination and sold more than 10 million copies. But "Hold Ya Head's" more direct antecedent is the 2004 Tupac Shakur-Notorious B.I.G. duet single, "Runnin' (Dyin' to Live)" — the first major hip-hop remix sonically juxtaposing two deceased artists into a single song. The album it appears on, Shakur's "Loyal to the Game," debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's Top 200 Albums chart last year.

"They put Biggie and Tupac together because they're great artists — they didn't do it because they're deceased artists," Combs observed. "When it's two people who aren't here, you can't force the vocals to have chemistry. It has to mesh together."

"Hip Hop" author George says Combs' efforts need to be considered within the larger context of hip-hop, which has a rich history of appropriating sounds, manipulating voices and using technology in unexpected ways.

"Hip-hop has always been a postmodern art form, a collage music," George said. "With hip-hop — as with modern technology — the past is not the past anymore. So nobody who's ever made a record is immune to being sampled in a hip-hop record."

Shakur, who was killed in Las Vegas in 1996, has sold more records from the grave than in life. His posthumous albums, made up of tracks from a seemingly bottomless trove of unreleased material, have sold more than 8 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Combs admits to modeling the "B.I.G. Duets" album on Frank Sinatra's "Duets 2," which electronically paired the deceased crooner with various artists. But the recent commercial successes of two posthumous B.I.G. tracks motivated him to get the project off the ground.

"When 50 Cent first came out, he took Biggie's vocals [on 'The Realest N---as'] and then Ashanti took Biggie's vocals [on 'Unfoolish'] and to see the success they had?" Combs said. "Those were both [from] No. 1 records."

According to Combs, "Duets" will expend the last of Wallace's previously unheard material. "That," he said, "is why it's called 'The Final Chapter.' "

As George sees it, these hip-hop duets from beyond the grave should be recognized for what they really are: a sincere form of admiration.

"Hip-hop culture is very adventurous and unsentimental," he said. "We revere our artists. We treat the tracks as sacrosanct. And that spills over to where we want to keep creating so we can keep the artists in the mix."

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl...op-blurb-right

Em loves pissing over legends music, :monkey_piss: dont he.
heyheyhey smoke weed everyday.