Author Topic: Avian Flu  (Read 182 times)

UAK

Avian Flu
« on: October 09, 2005, 11:24:05 PM »
Not long before it reachs West Europe, UK and North America...

Oct 8 (Reuters) - Romania reported three cases of avian flu in a village in the Danube delta on Saturday and started to cull hundreds of birds to prevent the disease from spreading, chief veterinarian Ion Agafitei said. Tests were being carried out to determine which strain of the virus was involved.

A total of 65 people have died from the disease in Asia since late 2003, 44 in Vietnam, 12 in Thailand, five in Indonesia, four in Cambodia.

Here is a brief chronology of the spread of Asian bird flu:

Dec 15, 2003 - South Korea confirms a highly contagious type of bird flu at a chicken farm near Seoul and begins a mass cull of poultry when the virus rapidly spreads across the country.

Dec 31 - Taiwan reports its first case and later destroys thousands of chickens with a milder form of avian flu.

Jan 8, 2004 - Vietnam says bird flu has been found on many of its poultry farms.

Jan 13 - The World Health Organisation confirms the deaths of three people in Vietnam are linked to bird flu.

Jan 25 - Indonesia discovers an outbreak among chickens.

Jan 26 - Thailand confirms the death of a six-year-old boy, its first human death from bird flu.

Feb 12 - The World Health Organisation confirms tests show no evidence bird flu is passing from person to person.

March 16 - China declares it has stamped out the disease in all 49 hotbeds and has had no reports among poultry for 29 days.

May 26 - Thailand reports a fresh case of bird flu is found in several dead chickens on a university research farm in the northern city of Chiang Mai.

Aug 19 - Malaysia says a strain of bird flu has been found in two chickens that died in a northern village near the Thai border in the country's first bird flu outbreak.

Sept 27 - Thailand says it has found its first known probable case of a human being infecting another with bird flu. It said this was an isolated incident that posed little risk to the greater population.

Dec 15 - Taiwan says it has discovered two strains of avian flu in migratory birds in the northern part of the island, the milder H5N2 strain and also the H5N6 strain.

April 5, 2005 - The UN says that the H7 strain of bird flu previously undetected in Asia has been found in North Korea.

July 8 - The Philippines says it has suffered its first case of bird flu, in ducks. It later says it is free from any highly pathogenic strain of bird flu.

July 20 - Indonesia confirms its first deaths from bird flu.

July 26 - Japan says a fresh outbreak of bird flu has been discovered on a chicken farm in eastern Japan. All outbreaks in the Ibaraki prefecture since late June have been confirmed as the weak H5N2 strain.

Aug 9 - Vietnam reports one new human death from bird flu, taking its death toll to 43. The H5N1 virus has also killed 12 people in Thailand, four in Cambodia and three in Indonesia.

Aug 10 - The bird flu virus has been found in Tibet, the world animal health body OIE says.

Aug 15 - Russia reports an outbreak of bird flu in the Urals region of Chelyabinsk, the sixth region to be affected.

Aug 23 - In Kazakhstan a bird flu outbreak of the H5N1 strain in seven northern villages is confirmed as dangerous to humans.

Aug 26 - Finland says it has found a possible case of bird flu in a seagull in the northern town of Oulu.

Sept 1 - Vietnam reports one new human death from bird flu, taking its total to 44.

Sept 15 - United States says it has promised Vietnam $2.5 million over 5 years to improve its collection of information on bird flu. Vietnam says it is vaccinating poultry to prevent new outbreaks.

Sept 16 - Indonesia confirms fourth human death from bird flu.

Sept 26 - Indonesia confirms fifth human death from H5N1 strain of bird flu, says disease has spread to 22 of its 33 provinces.

Oct 8 - Romania reports avian flu cases in a Danube delta village, culls hundreds of domestic birds to prevent the disease from spreading, unclear which strain is involved.

Turkey
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=161&id=2064242005

Romania
http://www.canada.com/health/story.html?id=81fa01ae-fff4-4721-a070-42ca0f879b43

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avian_influenza
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 11:30:04 PM by VietCong »

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re: Avian Flu
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 11:59:36 PM »
Yeah man this is some crazy shit. Toronto got motherfuckers dying from legionnaires.

dont worry. eventually a particular ethnic group or country will be fingered primarily for this whole mess, and we'll take our mind of our worries by bashing them
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 12:11:46 PM »
Yeah man this is some crazy shit. Toronto got motherfuckers dying from legionnaires.

dont worry. eventually a particular ethnic group or country will be fingered primarily for this whole mess, and we'll take our mind of our worries by bashing them
lol, its not big yet but it could be if the bird flu develops more

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

J Bananas

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 12:26:21 PM »
yeah I'm wondering how they're gonna pin this on Bush when it hits the US, Bill Maher better start smoking crack and writing monologues early this time

Suga Foot

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 09:44:44 PM »
In late February of 2004, Avian Influenza, or avian flu, developed in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia. Since that time, various stakeholders and government agencies have been trying to make sense of the outbreak. They have also been trying to lower the risks of it happening again while developing strategies on how to deal with an inevitable, subsequent outbreak.

The Vancouver Humane Society (VHS) has grave concerns that animal welfare has not been part of the discussion process. 16 million birds were depopulated often without a veterinarian on-site. The method of depopulation was not consistent with international research on humane euthanasia. Back-yard flocks were depopulated when research shows that back-yard flocks do not pose a significant risk. Additionally, the link between intensive farming and disease transmission and mutation has not been discussed.

We've already been there and done that.  And guess what, nothing happened to anyone.  It's just the media hyping it up.

UAK

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 01:09:05 AM »
We've already been there and done that.  And guess what, nothing happened to anyone.  It's just the media hyping it up.

Didn't you say the same thing about SARS  ;D ;)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 11:10:22 AM »

That was them Chinese motherfuckers doin all sorts of crazy shit like goin back home, eating dogs and shit then coming here and breathin up the air nah mean
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 01:33:38 PM »
chineese will eat anything, dog, horse, unborn babies.......

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Suga Foot

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 05:56:59 PM »

We only had maybe 10 cases of sars in Vancouver, it was worse in Toronto.

Suga Foot

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 05:58:09 PM »

That was them Chinese motherfuckers doin all sorts of crazy shit like goin back home, eating dogs and shit then coming here and breathin up the air nah mean

That's what they said gave us Avian Flu too.  We have a huge asain population in Vancouver.

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 11:52:53 PM »
yeah true a huge damn asian population
we have a like chinatown and then a china city called=richmond
but whats wit all the chinese hatin, chinese cats r tight and i know all of yall love bruce lee and dem chinese gurls i know yall wanna hit some of that

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 02:05:34 AM »
no hating here i have chinese friends they're cool people, i'm probably gonna be going out for the chinese new year in 2006 i can't wait i've never been to china before