Author Topic: Having nationallly owned media  (Read 146 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Having nationallly owned media
« on: October 16, 2005, 04:37:33 PM »
In Canada we have CBC, and I know Brits have BBC. I ws wondering if your country has one, and how everyone a whole feels about the idea.

Personally I am against it. I don't enjoy the programming on CBC and it bothers me that I have to pay for it. Even if I did, it would bother me that any person who doesn't watch it pays for it. I feel money put into a state controlled media centre could be better spent.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Suga Foot

Re: Having nationallly owned media
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 04:42:38 PM »
CBC Sucks.  We don't need it at all.  CBC Newsworld is okay tho.  And CBC Radio is fuckin pointless. 

Citizen-Y

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 06:05:48 PM »
It's called Fox News.

Jome

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 06:32:02 PM »
We got NRK, which is state owned, they have 2 TV channels and 10-15 radio channels. (They're stuck in the 70's when they had monopoly)
Those motherfuckers demand that everybody with a TV must pay $325 a year, but I'd be god damned if I pay that, you can just say it's your parents when you buy the TV.
And they have these "inspectors" going around, but their possibilities to come into my house equals 0.

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 12:28:05 AM »
^ we have a similar situation but its done on a per household basis.

obviously we have the world famous BBC here.. its state funded and we pay a "tv licence" fee. the best thing about the BBC is that it has NO advertising in programs.. the only adverts are in between shows and are for other upcoming programs.

for people using normal aerials we have BBC1 and BBC2 from them.
on top of that from other providers we have ITV (the main BBC1 rival) and Channel 4.. which is my chan of choice. then we have Channel 5 which is WACK. lol..

funnily me and jome had this convo with trauma in IRC last night..

on top of all this we have whats called "freeview" which is digital tv over the aerial network. this gives 30 digital tv channels without needed cable or satellite. from the BBC we get BBC3 and BBC4, and CBeebies and CBBC (both kids channels) and BBC News 24

from ITV we get ITV2 and from Channel 4' "More 4" launched on monday. plus we get men & motors and uk history.. and i think CNN and Sky News.

unlike America in this country Cable isn't big as satellite proved easier to roll out. so almost everyone who has more than the standard 5 chan's probably has satellite.  The only satellite player left in the market now is "sky". where you get all the channels mentioned above plus "sky one" and sports channels (inc extreme sports :D), i think NBC and CNN and loads of other shite

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 02:25:44 AM »
i like the bbc, its cool its not really influenced by the government they are pretty much independent. although i don't think they should be out so many of the digital channels, but they do cater for niche markets that maybe the commercial media wouldn't touch which is a good thing. their radio stations a pretty good something for everyone there, especially 1xtra because they promote uk hiphop and that

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 08:15:51 AM »
ARD and ZDF in Germany and it's fine for most people as it doesnt show advertisement and some nice live soccer n shit

LOL@Fox News :D
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 08:24:16 AM »
^ yeah ours is good for soccer... i believe they changed the law so that _any_ international competitive game (not friendlies) played by an english national team is available on "free" channels so everyone can support the national team/s.

e.g. rugby, cricket, football.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 03:01:54 PM »
Yeah no governement should fund any source of media, Thats how you get partisanship and biased opinions.

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 03:08:30 PM »
Yeah no governement should fund any source of media, Thats how you get partisanship and biased opinions.
it depends how its managed, the bbc is probably the most independent meda organisation in the world....

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Kal EL

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 02:59:45 PM »
It's called Fox News.

;D ;D ;D

Sad but true