Author Topic: Rock and Roll VS Hip Hop who measures up?  (Read 790 times)

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
Rock and Roll VS Hip Hop who measures up?
« on: October 21, 2005, 02:10:27 PM »
Rock and Roll started from a legendary blues artist Robert (Sold himself to Satan) Johnson at the crossroads. Many evolutionary bands beatles, rolling stones, led zeppelin, to eric clapton claim Johnson as the pioneer of rock music. Rock and Roll's postives are:  Must know how to play an instrument, sing to a certain extent, or have good showmanship. Rock and Roll started the sixties rebellion against the government, also gave rock bands a way to protest the war in viet nam and governmental authority. However, negatives against rock and roll are, Most blacks don't like rock and roll. It's been said by many blacks, "rock is for white people". There's hardly any blacks or hispanics that play rock music. Also, critics say  "Rock and Roll is dead". There's been no innovative bands since the late seventies/early eighties. I give Rock and Roll 8 out of 10 because of all the classic albums.

Hip Hop/Rap started perhaps, as early as street corner doo wop by black americans. A fairly new genre of music, it has connected well with almost all races and cultures. It has brought Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, closer. In fact, almost a slap in the face to are racist 60's dads and mom's. Most critics however, declare Hip hop as no skills. Except, for rhyming. Most in hip hop have no experience in playing an instrument. Has in the last few years been been stagnant with not many classics since Dr Dre's Chronic 2000. Although, we could argue about underground artist and a few good albums, No'one garners as much respect for the artistry until there dead... I.e Tupac and Biggie. I give hip hop 4 out of 10. Hiphop loses because, lack of musicianship and lack of classic albums. Furthermore, When I listen to a classic rock station I'm moved by the music, Hiphop stations don't play Dear Mama even though its a classic. How many times do you here I'm bad by LL Cool J? Rock stomps Hip Hop.

Rock Classics                                                         Hip Hop
The Beatles White                                            Run Dmc Raising Hell                                                   
Led zeppleling Iv                                               Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill
Rolling Stones Sympathy for the Devil                  EPMD Strictly Business
Beatles Sergaent Peppers.                                 LL COOL j I'm bad
Cream, Strange Brew                                        public enemy millions to hold us back
Fleetwood mac Rumours                                   nwa straight outta compton
Pink Floyd the Wall                                           Gangstarr Daily operation
Jimi Hendrix Experience                                     Biggie Ready to Die
The Doors Waiting for the sun                           Tupac Me against the World
Rush 5150                                                      Mobb Deep Hell on Earth
Van Halen Self Titled                                        Death Row Murder was the Case
The Eagles Hotel California   
Journey Evolution                                             DJ QUIK Safe and Sound
BOSTON SELF TITLED                                       Dr Dre Chronic.
PRINCE purple rain (could defintely be argued as rock)
Michael Jackson Thriller (could be argue as rock)
Queen Bohemian Rhapsody
The Who Who are u
Yes Fragile
Elton John Yellow Brick Road
Metallica The black album

J Bananas

Re: Rock and Roll VS Hip Hop who measures up?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 02:31:23 PM »
what are you asking us here? which genre is better?

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 03:47:10 PM »
hip hop kills rock & rolll

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 04:29:31 PM »
rock and roll is shit now period

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 04:54:47 PM »
rock and roll is shit now period

so is hip hop

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

J Bananas

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 06:21:52 PM »
yeah rock is pretty gay right now, but hip hop is so cliched theres nothing original being put out, no matter what u say. so uh, fuck music?

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 08:20:57 PM »
yeah rock is pretty gay right now, but hip hop is so cliched theres nothing original being put out, no matter what u say. so uh, fuck music?
haha lol and cosign. I think both genre is shit right now. no substance.

coola

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 08:21:13 PM »
it depends how you look at it... i prefer hip-hop over rock...

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 09:45:31 PM »
In my opinion, Hip Hop is just an extension of Rock & Roll.  I mean, Jay Z is about as Rock & Roll as it gets.  Jay Z is more of a Rock Star than fuckin' Ashlee Simpson is, when you get right down to it there's not much difference between Weezer, Jay Z, and the White Stripes.  Same type of music, different beat different words.  You can trace all this shit back to Little Richard, a true pioneer.  Robert Johnson helped lay the roots but I think with guys like Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Elvis Pressley, and Bill Haley you saw the real birth of Rock & Roll.  Jay Z and a guy like Jerry Lee Lewis stand and represent the same exact fucking thing.  I think that's pretty much true of all of your TRUE acts.  Somebody like Ashlee Simpson (although I don't have any problems with her) is not Rock & Roll because she's more of an act than anything legitimate.  You could say the same thing about bands like Creed or Staind or whatever the fuck.  NOT Rock & Roll.  Rock & Roll is bigger than life, shit that's seemingly regular people born extraordinary.  Snoop Doggy Dogg was going to be a rock star when he was fucking BORN, there's something in his personality that makes it impossible for him not to run shit.  Good examples of Rockstars walking amongst us today are folks like Jay Z, Rivers Cuomo, Bono, Dr. Dre, Kanye West, 50 Cent, Jack White, the Gallagher Brothers, Good Charlotte, fuckin Garth Brooks, etc.  Rock & Roll is HUGE people don't even get it.  It's almost a religion it's so big. 

ecrazy

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 10:02:56 PM »
^^Elvis is a pop star.....He didnt write his own songs.....if you call being a rockstar someone who has stage presence that is him, but as for the musical creativity part in it, he really didnt have any ....

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 11:38:24 PM »
The first thing y'all do when a rap album come out is call that "album of the year" & in the next thread y'all say hip hop is weak these days.2005 has been a great year for hip hop,stop bitching.

Elevz

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 02:09:09 AM »
The first thing y'all do when a rap album come out is call that "album of the year" & in the next thread y'all say hip hop is weak these days.2005 has been a great year for hip hop,stop bitching.

Just what I was going to say. Hiphop is alive, bitches! Just take a look outside of the top10 of the pop charts before bitching about the state of hiphop.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 03:14:17 PM »
I guess some of us forgot that The Minstrel Show, Be, Trill have come out this year   :(

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 03:37:45 PM »
rock in my ipod hip hop in the ride...

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 03:41:33 PM »
^^Elvis is a pop star.....He didnt write his own songs.....if you call being a rockstar someone who has stage presence that is him, but as for the musical creativity part in it, he really didnt have any ....

Sure he did. He may not have written his hits but veruy few artists did in those days. Elvis did produce just about every song. He chose how to sing and the pace the istruments were played. When he sang That's Alright Mama with the country flavour he added to it he made a huge contribution to rock and roll.

Like Trauma said; Hip hop is Rock, just like Metal is rock and punk is Rock and grunge is rock and new wave is rock. You can't have a vs. when they are part of the same thing. It's like saying; what's better the MLB or the Boston Red Sox?