Author Topic: Rock and Roll VS Hip Hop who measures up?  (Read 792 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Rock and Roll VS Hip Hop who measures up?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 06:00:29 PM »
hiphop is rock and roll

Trauma-san

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 06:10:06 PM »
^^Elvis is a pop star.....He didnt write his own songs.....if you call being a rockstar someone who has stage presence that is him, but as for the musical creativity part in it, he really didnt have any ....

Please.  Dr. Dre doesn't write his own songs, either.  He's still a fucking genius.  Elvis Presley was one of the greatest things to ever hit music, I don't give a shit that he didn't write his own songs.  You telling me Frank Sinatra wasn't creative, Frank Sinatra wasn't a rockstar?  He didn't write shit either... and I'm not talking about just Stage Presence. 

Back to Elvis... if you think Elvis wasn't creative, you don't know SHIT about music.  You talk to anybody who knows anything at all about music, and they will worship the ground Elvis Presley walked on.  Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Carl Perkins, Robert Johnson, you can give whoever you want credit for starting Rock & Roll, but Elvis Presley KILLED it, it hasn't been done any better since, and it never will.  There will never be a bigger Rock Star than Elvis Presley, the man had god given talent to perform, entertain, and had a voice that is basically unrivaled.  He helped create an entire catalogue of classic recordings, many of which he mastered in 1 take.  Elvis would read lyrics 1 time, then go in the studio and cut a perfect take of the song.  His voice had no limit, he could sing honestly any song presented to him, from Rock & Roll, to Country, to near operatic quality tracks like An American Trilogy or rockabily tracks that are basically unimatable, like "Heartbreak Hotel".  Look how he goes from rock & roll to almost inhuman on the hook of the song. 

Also, Elvis was a fantastic guitar player, of course he didn't play much in his later years because he was constantly dancing, but that didn't mean the man couldn't play.  Watch his '68 comeback special for that.  Also, he was a talented pianist, and finally, he has the largest fan following of any musician, EVER, including the Beatles, and they're 4 guys.  He's 1. 

Oh, P.S., another thing.  Of all the interviews, stories about Elvis, recollections from friends and family, tapes, studio sessions...  Find 1 negative, or bad comment Elvis ever said about anybody, anything, anywhere, any time.  The man was truly one of the nicest celebrities that's ever walked the face of the planet. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 06:20:29 PM by I Want My Donation Back »

ecrazy

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 11:55:11 PM »
^^you make good points but how is he being creative by not writing his own material?? im not arguing the fact that he does not have a great voice, he's a great Musician, but how could you be all that and not write any of your hits? How the hell is being a performer, or taking songs and reading them and singing them in one take being creative??? What does him being a nice guy have to do with his creativity?? Obviously you dont know SHIT about music, trying to prove a point that doesnt exist. Sure he's loved by all, i mean come on he has performed classic tunes that people will never forget, but he did not write them at all.....How does that make him creative?

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 08:29:10 AM »
trauama wats the dif between good charleotte and staind....

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 12:30:40 PM »
^^you make good points but how is he being creative by not writing his own material?? im not arguing the fact that he does not have a great voice, he's a great Musician, but how could you be all that and not write any of your hits? How the hell is being a performer, or taking songs and reading them and singing them in one take being creative??? What does him being a nice guy have to do with his creativity?? Obviously you dont know SHIT about music, trying to prove a point that doesnt exist. Sure he's loved by all, i mean come on he has performed classic tunes that people will never forget, but he did not write them at all.....How does that make him creative?

The way he sang them made him creative. Listen to the original recordings of some of his early Sun records and compare them to his versions. Many of them were dramatically different. Jimi Hendrix didn't write All Along the Watch Tower but his version of Dylan's song was very creative. Elvis gets songwriting credit on some songs because of what he did with the arrangements and the melody.

Trauma-san

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 01:55:48 PM »

I don't know shit? Please.  You don't even understand the simple BASICS of recording music, this is BASIC, 101 shit.  You don't even understand the difference or importance of a performance, a production, and a lyric.  The point Shallow just made about Hendrix's All Along the Watch Tower is a perfect example.  So Hendrix's version wouldn't be creative, then, right? 

When you grow up a couple years, come back and tell me how wrong you were and how much you love Elvis Presley now that you've listened to his music with half a fucking mind. 

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 06:33:01 PM »

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 07:27:35 AM »
that first ever gangsta song by ice t (cop killa) wasnt that like a rock song lol so its like hip hop came fom rock & roll

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 07:32:58 AM »
you cant hiphop and rock and roll its 2 total different kinds of music.

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 07:34:51 AM »
hiphop is rock and roll

explain yourself plz.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2005, 07:45:13 AM »
hiphop is rock and roll

explain yourself plz.

Elvis is considered Rock and Roll, the Rolling Stones are considered Rock and Roll, Led Zeppelin is considered Rock and Roll,  Pink Floyd is considered Rock and Roll, The Ramones are considered Rock and Roll, Metallica is considered Rock and Roll, Nirvana is considered Rock and Roll. Each of these bands and artists are called rockabilly, rock and blues, hard rock, art/progressive rock, punk rock, heavy metal, and grunge, respectively. They all sound very different and all had different lifestyles attached to them, yet they are all considered part of rock and roll. Therefore, Run DMC is Rock and Roll, Snoop is Rock and Roll, Jay Z is Rock and Roll, and Hip Hip os Rock and Roll.

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2005, 09:08:11 AM »
^^ I get what your saying, but basically the offcuts of rock are still comparable

The arguement that either genres is dead is extremely tiresome, boring and a bandwagon stance. In years to come our kids (hypothetical situation) will be praising our generation's music and repeating the same arguement.

As for rock vs hip hop.. I was always into rock, but enjoyed the expression hip hop gave. However when it came down to it rock creates more energy for me personally than what hip hop does. Plus too rock gigs cut it for me more than hip hop shows do.
"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2005, 09:38:34 AM »
hiphop is rock and roll

explain yourself plz.

Elvis is considered Rock and Roll, the Rolling Stones are considered Rock and Roll, Led Zeppelin is considered Rock and Roll,  Pink Floyd is considered Rock and Roll, The Ramones are considered Rock and Roll, Metallica is considered Rock and Roll, Nirvana is considered Rock and Roll. Each of these bands and artists are called rockabilly, rock and blues, hard rock, art/progressive rock, punk rock, heavy metal, and grunge, respectively. They all sound very different and all had different lifestyles attached to them, yet they are all considered part of rock and roll. Therefore, Run DMC is Rock and Roll, Snoop is Rock and Roll, Jay Z is Rock and Roll, and Hip Hip os Rock and Roll.

I think it depends on how you judge it. Do you look at the sounds? Then you can conclude that they are not the same because the sound is a world of differince. Or do you look at the origins of hiphop? Then you can also conclude that they are not the same, because it originaly  comes from Jamaicans, who introduced it in New York City. But if you look at the lifestyles then you see more similarities, but not a lot. I Think hiphop is a lot more extreme and realistic, but i dont know enough about rock to judge it.

So i would go as far as saying rock and roll is hiphop. They do have some similarities but they are not one and the same.

coola

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2005, 05:06:11 PM »
LMAO @ people sayin hip-hop is rock & roll.... hip hop is hip hop... lets call a spade a spade...

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2005, 05:52:55 PM »
hiphop is rock and roll

explain yourself plz.

I think it depends on how you judge it. Do you look at the sounds? Then you can conclude that they are not the same because the sound is a world of differince. Or do you look at the origins of hiphop? Then you can also conclude that they are not the same, because it originaly  comes from Jamaicans, who introduced it in New York City. But if you look at the lifestyles then you see more similarities, but not a lot. I Think hiphop is a lot more extreme and realistic, but i dont know enough about rock to judge it.

So i would go as far as saying rock and roll is hiphop. They do have some similarities but they are not one and the same.

It's the attitude. The new young style rebelling against the old. That's what Rock and Roll is. It's not a sound. I never was. The sound are rhythm and blues is a sound. Rockabilly is a sound. Acid Rock is a sound. Heavy Metal is a sound. Punk is a sound. Hip Hop is a sound. Rock and Roll is an attitude.

The basis of all of this is in the American Blues, one way or another. Hard Rock was more a british thing than anything else but it was greatly influenced the the blues. Aspects of hip hop may have come  from Jamaica, but many other aspects came from the same place all other parts a of rock do. That's not important though because with the popularity of Elvis, Rock and Roll went worldwide. The only thing that matters is the attitude and the rebellion. Whether you are rebelling against racism, government, society, or fashion it doesn't matter. Hip Hop has the attitude. It's rock and roll.

Put in Metallica's Enter Sandman and then put in Elvis's Don't Be Cruel. If both those count as Rock and Roll then Hip Hop sure as hell does. Just ask Chuck D.