Author Topic: How many of your views in world politics reflect your parents' views?  (Read 235 times)

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
There is this sutdy I've once read in my Psychology class about "Cognitive Dissonance" (- Lack of conscious balance, a psychological state of conflict over a number of possible choices) where the researcher claimed that when 2 people who consider themselves in a close/friendly relationship encounter a difference of opinion on an issue both consider to be significant there are 3 possible outcomes:
1. Person A would find a rationalization to match the opinion of person B
2. Person B would find a rationalization to match the opinion of person A
3. The relationship would cease to exist.

This leads to my question since the primary close relationship most people experience is the child\parent relationship, so tell me are your views on such a significant issue as world politics resemble your parents' views?
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: How many of your views in world politics reflect your parents' views?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 03:19:11 PM »
Nope, and I have a great relationship with my parents

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 03:25:33 PM »
Nope, and I have a great relationship with my parents

I wonder whether both you and your parents consider Politics to be a significant issue?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 03:27:56 PM »
Yeah it is. 

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 03:32:20 PM »
Interesting! I guess that it's not universal then...

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 03:48:01 PM »
We don't care too much about world politics from the sense of "who we would vote for" but my dad and I share some views on what the US parties and candidates will do, etc..

My mother doesn't care much about politics, nor does she care to learn about it much. My father and I both feel very similar about politics in our own country, and I believe my mother voted the same as us in the last election.

Also, my father and I both agree that Israel is evil and that they stole the Palestinians' land, lol. This isn't because you started this thread that I said it but it's something we have both stated in the past. I don't want to debate about that but it may be useful to what you're attempting to find out.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 03:49:11 PM »
im with mr pink i disagree with my dad over a number of political things which we both feel are significant and also with my sister but we remain close. for example i was the only person in my family to support invading iraq and i'm the only person who respects tony blair. now my sister is anti war for whatever the reason and she very has a strong view on this, which i believe is a flawed ideoligy but we are very close and wouldn't fall out over political views, however she did tell me she would disown me if i ever joined the army which i almost did do when i was 16 but that i don't know if that was her view then.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

J Bananas

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 03:49:35 PM »
psychology is a religion.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 03:54:34 PM »
We don't care too much about world politics from the sense of "who we would vote for" but my dad and I share some views on what the US parties and candidates will do, etc..

My mother doesn't care much about politics, nor does she care to learn about it much. My father and I both feel very similar about politics in our own country, and I believe my mother voted the same as us in the last election.

Also, my father and I both agree that Israel is evil and that they stole the Palestinians' land, lol. This isn't because you started this thread that I said it but it's something we have both stated in the past. I don't want to debate about that but it may be useful to what you're attempting to find out.

lol...Thanks for your post. Props on paying attention, though this isn't really where I'm heading towards.

Don Seer

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 04:55:40 PM »
Interesting! I guess that it's not universal then...

nothing is universal..you'll have many problems if you think in black&white.

the only universal truth is that nothing is universal ;)

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 06:03:07 PM »
There is this sutdy I've once read in my Psychology class about "Cognitive Dissonance" (- Lack of conscious balance, a psychological state of conflict over a number of possible choices) where the researcher claimed that when 2 people who consider themselves in a close/friendly relationship encounter a difference of opinion on an issue both consider to be significant there are 3 possible outcomes:

This leads to my question since the primary close relationship most people experience is the child\parent relationship, so tell me are your views on such a significant issue as world politics resemble your parents' views?

The researcher was full of shit.  When people are related as closely as family members, something as petty as politics isn't going to end healthy relationships between kids and parents.  Often they have similar views and they do rationalize, but many times they just disagree.  They don't have to stop talking to each other just because they disagree.

Personally, to answer the question, both my parents are democrats.  My father has passed away, and I wasn't really politically inclined before his passing.  I imagine we would have had similar ideas about a lot of things, even though I'm pretty conservative. 

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 02:46:27 AM »

The researcher was full of shit.  When people are related as closely as family members, something as petty as politics isn't going to end healthy relationships between kids and parents.  Often they have similar views and they do rationalize, but many times they just disagree.  They don't have to stop talking to each other just because they disagree.

Yes, the researcher was a fucktard. I hold the belief that if you really like someone, you MUST be able to get along with his or her little flaws or even not so little flaws. So a different view on some political issue shouldnt fuck the relationship up, that's ridiculous. NOONE of my 6 closest friends voted for the same party I voted for a couple weeks back in Germany's most important election, NOR did my parents, and everyone knows which party I supported and there is no way in hell somebody of them would even think about ending the relationship, LOL, wtf.
To answer the question, me and my father agree on certain points, and disagree on others, quite normal mix of differences and similiarities I think.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 03:01:32 AM »

Personally, to answer the question, both my parents are democrats.  My father has passed away, and I wasn't really politically inclined before his passing.  I imagine we would have had similar ideas about a lot of things, even though I'm pretty conservative. 

lol...so I kinda don't get it man, this conclusion does not apply if you consider politics a petty issue it would only apply if both parties were to think it's significant.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 03:03:44 AM by I TO DA GEEZY »