Author Topic: If you were trying to introduce someone to rap...........  (Read 460 times)

C-clamp

• Muthafuckin' OG
If you were trying to introduce someone to rap...........
« on: October 23, 2005, 09:14:37 AM »
what album would you give them?

For me it would either be The Chronic or Midnight Marauders depending on what other music the person likes, if there into aggressive stuff then obviously the Chronic, if they're mostly coming from a jazz/r&b background then Midnight Marauders

I know a lot of people would say Illmatic, but honestly I would never use it to get someone into rap.  Illmatic is an amazing album if your already a rap fan, but for someone who's never listened to rap before, it's not that appealing.

How about you guys?

ABN

Re: If you were trying to introduce someone to rap...........
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 09:26:39 AM »
i´d give them Paid In Full or Death Certificate 8)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 09:27:37 AM »
all depends on wat their background of music before, but probly some atcq or if they got a rock background, some early rick rubin produced shit.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 09:34:42 AM »
you got a point with Illmatic, but I don´t see The Chronic as incredibly aggressive...some of it is, but depends on the song. If someone wanted to listen to hiphop for really aggressive stuff I´d give them "Warriorz" or "Bacdafucup"...however, in general:

The Marshall Mathers LP, All Eyez On Me, Reasonable Doubt, The Score, Doggystyle, Life After Death, Wu-Tang Forever and a whole buncha others, tight albums that are easy to get into, have good production and a certain pop appeal

Mecca & The Soul Brother, The Low End Theory, De La Soul Is Dead, The Listening, J5 LP and other stuff that is smooth, well-done and not too aggressive if the person wasn´t into hearing about guns, whips n bitches

The Chronic, We Come Strapped, Safe & Sound, ATLiens, Aquemini, The Fix etc for somebody looking for the really melodic stuff

but it all depends on the person...maybe somebody tryina get into hiphop would immidiately fall in love with cLOUDDEAD or Urban Thermo Dynamics and not care about Dr. Dre for a second...

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 09:35:50 AM »
2001...That album got me into rap like big time, and I know alot of people who started to become rap fans after the album....

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 10:13:20 AM »
i actually did this before a long time ago i let one of my homies (who listens to rock exclusivly),  borrow "the chronic" he said it was cool but i couldent get him to listen to more rap... my other homie who didnt listen to music at all i burnt him wutang 36 chambers and hes been a fan of n.y rap ever since....

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 10:30:22 AM »
i actually did this before a long time ago i let one of my homies (who listens to rock exclusivly),  borrow "the chronic" he said it was cool but i couldent get him to listen to more rap... my other homie who didnt listen to music at all i burnt him wutang 36 chambers and hes been a fan of n.y rap ever since....
Fuckin traider you supposed to get them into westcoast rap homie.... ;)

Kassem

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 10:42:33 AM »
i listened to marshall mathers lp when i was 11.then heared by mistake 2pac changes that shit got me hooked.i started hearing his greatest hits.while reading pac bio i heared about dre so i heared nwa----fuck tha police.so i am 16 in egypt with no west coast influence but i heared everything from king t to mc eiht.shit nobody in this country knows wat the fuck am listening to
United Arab States

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 11:02:22 AM »
I'd use some Jurassic 5 material or maybe Dilated

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 02:52:37 PM »
Fuckin traider you supposed to get them into westcoast rap homie.... ;)

lol im sure that foo will come around... :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 02:54:37 PM by outlaw+immortal »

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 03:20:44 PM »
"Doggystyle" should do it for anyone
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Paul

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 03:49:07 PM »
id go 4 rythm al ism, simply cause there is a song that will appeal to everyone on it. great all round masterpiece 8)

others blueprint, doggystyle, all eyes on me, black sunday
funkyfreshintheflesh

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 04:21:58 PM »
DJ Quik

I've gotten friends who don't even lock rap music but love DJ Quik's music. I'd recommend Rhythmalism. The musical feel of the album is easy on the ears for non hip hop heads.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 04:38:14 PM »
I would introduce them to Run-DMC, The Beastie Boys, Eric B & Rakim, Public Enemy, Mos Def and DJ Quik. That's the only artists I listen to regularly anymore really.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 04:39:54 PM »
I was a rap fan before '2001'  ;D