Author Topic: Need some advice on quitting swearing/cursing  (Read 322 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Need some advice on quitting swearing/cursing
« on: October 27, 2005, 06:51:56 PM »
Anybody on here quit cursing, or know someone who has? Any ideas on what is effective?

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

J Bananas

Re: Need some advice on quitting swearing/cursing
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 06:54:24 PM »
think before you speak, just not too much...i have a swearing problem too.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 06:56:35 PM »
think before you speak, just not too much...i have a swearing problem too.

Yeah it's rough though. When everyone around is swearing, it's just second nature. For sure thinking about it is important.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:37:32 PM »
Sure, I've quit before.  I started up again, though, although it was basically on purpose, a mental choice.

Anyways, the way to quit is to do the following.  I'm not kidding, this will 100% work.  Whenever you cuss, stop, and resay exactly what you just said, without the cuss word.  Even if you're in a room full of people.... NOBODY can ridicule you or make fun of you for doing that, because it's something positive that you're trying to do.  In a week or so you'll be done with it.

"Man, that was the COOLEST fuckin' movie.... I Mean, Man, that was the ABSOLUTE COOLEST MOVIE I've ever seen"

"Fuck That!"

Wait, I should have said "No, Forget That!"

What an Asshole... no, wait, What a jerk.

How the hell am I supposed to ?... wait, how in the world am I supposed to know?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not kidding.  It's a 100% effective way to quit swearing, it will definately, most positively work. 

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 07:44:06 PM »
^^ Interesting idea, I'm gonna try that out. Thanks eh?

Paris

Suga Foot

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 07:46:31 PM »

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 07:48:37 PM »

Paris

Jome

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 07:51:37 PM »
Fuck it, cursing adds flava to your language, just don't do it in front of your boss(es) or grandparents, or in social situations where it seems inappropriate..
Just like you wouldn't be using slang and street talk when talking to older people, it's all about adjusting to who you're talking to.  8)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 07:52:43 PM »
Do you want to get rid of swearing altogether or do you just want keep swear words from popping up in the wrong places? Because I swear when I talk but I never swear when I'm in a public environment with people that you shouldn't swear around. I don't think about it, it just happens that way.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 07:57:55 PM »
Do you want to get rid of swearing altogether or do you just want keep swear words from popping up in the wrong places? Because I swear when I talk but I never swear when I'm in a public environment with people that you shouldn't swear around. I don't think about it, it just happens that way.

I want to get rid of swearing altogether, I sometimes feel like I've got a dual personality. My mother and I were talking about it last week, about how she's never heard me swear so she figures I just don't, unlike my brother who she hears cussing. It's like I'm hiding it from her because I have a really dirty mouth in social settings. Sometimes I even let words slip out in seminars for my classes.

Paris

Jome

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 08:02:47 PM »
Well, you're 19, so you should be able to control what you say, it's all about thinking through what you wanna say before you say it..

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 08:12:06 PM »

I want to get rid of swearing altogether, I sometimes feel like I've got a dual personality. My mother and I were talking about it last week, about how she's never heard me swear so she figures I just don't, unlike my brother who she hears cussing. It's like I'm hiding it from her because I have a really dirty mouth in social settings. Sometimes I even let words slip out in seminars for my classes.

I don't know then. I never have it slip out and I never really hide it either. Some places it's just not appropriate, but if even if I know the person well it all depends because I really don't control it. It's like my brain knows that you shouldn't swear hear or you should. I don't really swear much anyway, except at a few people I know, but most of the time it's done to be funny or to add effect. A well placed fuckin' can really help define what you mean based on the tone you say it in. Lets you know you're serious but no too serious. Like if I'm watching football and Peyton Manning throws a perfect pass that gets bobbled at a crucial time I say "this guy fuckin' sucks" with an annoyed tone. I could say this guy really sucks but it doesn't sound strong enough for me, and saying this guy is the absolute worst receiver in the NFL would be going too far. Sometimes I just say "This guy sucks" and put emphasis on the "sucks". To each his own.

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 09:46:08 PM »
Yeah, I think sometimes cussing is just a sign of passion.  Just like every other aspect of our lives though, it's really gone to the extreme, in the 50's kids used to trip out if their dad said "Damn" when he broke his hand on a wrench working on the car or something.  Now we use curse words so much you pretty much have to go absolutely crazy to make it sound more intense than your normal language.  They fined Clark Gable 5 grand, for instance, for saying "Frankly dear, I don't give a damn" at the end of Gone with the Wind.  He paid the 5 grand himself because he thought the word added the passion to the line and the scene that the movie needed.  Anymore there's no way one word would be worth paying a fine over, we throw curse words around so much they have absolutely no meaning anymore. 

On the other hand, too, you have to think that if you're saying things that offend people, they're really not worth saying since there's little emphasis or stress that it puts on the meaning of a sentence anymore... so why even say them if they don't add anything and only offend people? 

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 09:55:42 PM »
Took the words right from my mouth.
I'll swear in front of my friends, but when im with a family member, person deserving repect, or strangers, my entire dialect changes. :) (the former being the most natural to me.)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 11:23:08 PM »
Anybody on here quit cursing, or know someone who has? Any ideas on what is effective?

Fasting for the sake of Allah can cure this.  And this is the best month to do it since on the Islamic calender we are in the last 10 days of Rammadaan.  When you perfrom Saum (fasting from sunrise to sunset) you fast not only by not eating or drinking, but you fast with your eyes, your ears, mind, and your mouth.  This will cover the pathways to the heart, and change your heart. 

Eyes- refrain from lusting after women or observing things that call one away from the path of Allah.

Ears- refrain from listening to others who are swearing/cursing, gossiping, backbiting, or calling away from the path of Allah towards forbidden things.  This is key, if you around others who are cursing/swearing then you will probably do the same.  Muhammad (pbuh) said if you want to know where you are at in terms of your development, look at who you are and who you move around with.

Mouth-  During the fasting hours, sunrise to sunset, don't allow yourself to curse/swear, backbite, or gossip about other people.

Mind-  During the fasting hours, you are seeking to change your thoughts, so that what you see in the creation reminds you of the Creator, that nothing but the Creator could have created it, and unto the Creator (Allah) is our return, what you hear reminds you of Allah, and what you say reminds you of Allah. 

...Do this, and you will cover the pathways to the heart.  Your heart is like a sponge.  If you soak a sponge in cranberry jiuce and squeaze it then it's going to pump out cranberry jiuce.  Likewise, if you soak your heart in the consciousness of Allah, then it's going to pump this blood throughout your body. 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)