Author Topic: "Mischief Night"  (Read 178 times)

J Bananas

"Mischief Night"
« on: October 30, 2005, 06:22:46 PM »

The night before Halloween, known in some areas as "Mischief Night", "Mizzie Night", "Gate Night", "Cabbage Night", "Mat Night", "Goosie Night (Goosy,Goosey)" or "Devil's Night," is often associated with pranks or destructive activities performed by adolescents. Some of the acts range from minor vandalism to theft, or even arson. Many youths involved in mischief night would be considered too old for traditional trick-or-treating. The most common wrong-doing is toilet papering or "T.P.ing", in which people's houses, lawns, and trees are covered in toilet paper streamers.

One alternative to this is that, in North Western England, Mischief Night occurs on the 4th of November, the night before Bonfire Night. Celebrated in the same way, although minor vandalism tends to include fireworks, which appear in shops in Britain around this time for legitimate reasons - to set off alongside bonfires on the following night.

Perhaps the most elaborate example of a Mischief Night prank was Orson Welles' radio dramatization of The War of the Worlds, originally aired on October 30, 1938. Welles' broadcast, which purported to be a live newscast detailing the invasion of the United States by Martians, was accepted as real by many listeners and created a public panic in some areas of the country.

A dialect survey begun in 1999 by Harvard University indicates that there are a number of terms for this particular day of the year, but that the vast majority (70.38%) have no special word for it.

coola

Re: "Mischief Night"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 02:51:29 AM »
bonfire night... LOL

Sikotic™

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 02:53:28 AM »
Motherfuckers did a drive by egging outside of this Tommy's I was trying to get food from the other day. It was me and like 7 other peeps and the idiot didnt hit any of us. If I was in my car, I would of chased them down and pistol whipped them with my dick.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

bez

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 04:58:33 AM »
Motherfuckers did a drive by egging outside of this Tommy's I was trying to get food from the other day. It was me and like 7 other peeps and the idiot didnt hit any of us. If I was in my car, I would of chased them down and pistol whipped them with my dick.

YOU WUDDA FUCKING KILLED THEM!!!!

coola

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 05:41:47 AM »

LOL what a bunch of fools.

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 04:10:30 PM »

LMAO