Author Topic: Who on this board speaks more than one language?  (Read 673 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Who on this board speaks more than one language?
« on: November 01, 2005, 05:17:40 PM »
I speak English (obviously) and I used to speak French pretty well. I can still understand it to a degree, and can read it somewhat. I actually stopped taking French in school because I can't write it at all and I was in classes which required lots of writing. I've lost my skills in a lot of ways, but I'm thinking of spending time in a French area this summer or next in order to immerse myself, supposedly the best way to learn a language.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Who on this board speaks more than one language?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 05:21:02 PM »
Hebrew

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 05:23:02 PM »
Hebrew

Were you brought up with both languages out of curiosity?

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

mauzip

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 05:24:04 PM »
I speak Dutch, English, French and German.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 05:25:24 PM »

Damn. Are any of those languages similar enough? From what I understand some languages make others easier to understand, like French and Spanish.

Paris

mauzip

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 05:30:21 PM »

Damn. Are any of those languages similar enough? From what I understand some languages make others easier to understand, like French and Spanish.

I grew up with Dutch of course. English I hear on tv every day, plus I lived in Arizona for a year... so I speak that language fluently as well.

French I learned at school and I can save myself pretty well in France :) Some words are similar to Dutch, but English is a lot closer to French than Dutch is.

The Dutch language comes mostly from German, but I don't speak German very well. I had it at school for 2 years, but I dropped it. Actually, I suck at it. When I was in Berlin in March I had a lot of trouble remembering the language LOL

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 05:31:26 PM »
i'm ignorant i only speak english but i've got by so far fine without any other languages and i have travelled quite well....

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

mauzip

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 05:34:22 PM »
There's no need to learn another language if you speak English, I think.

It does make you understand your own language better though.

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »
English and Farsi

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 05:51:06 PM »

I grew up with Dutch of course. English I hear on tv every day, plus I lived in Arizona for a year... so I speak that language fluently as well.

French I learned at school and I can save myself pretty well in France :) Some words are similar to Dutch, but English is a lot closer to French than Dutch is.

The Dutch language comes mostly from German, but I don't speak German very well. I had it at school for 2 years, but I dropped it. Actually, I suck at it. When I was in Berlin in March I had a lot of trouble remembering the language LOL

Yeah English and French have a lot of similar words, especially in my country. The biligualism of Canada has made the languages in the country even closer. I've heard that speaking France French in Quebec is akin to blasphemy, lol.

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 05:52:08 PM »
There's no need to learn another language if you speak English, I think.

Depends where you live. In Canada, speaking English and French pretty much guarantees you a spot in the job market, especially things like business and teaching.

Paris

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 06:04:29 PM »
i speak russian and english fluently, russian was first, but moved to usa wen i was 7, so its not amazing, but im taking it in college, so im getting better and reading and writing, and i consider sarcasm my 3rd language

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 06:07:05 PM »
Spanish

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 06:29:26 PM »
im dumb i only speak english fluently
i do understand a lil bit of afrikaans,spanish and a very lil chinese

ecrazy

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 06:30:45 PM »
Spanish