Author Topic: Killīs 50 greatest albums ever - #40  (Read 261 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Killīs 50 greatest albums ever - #40
« on: November 05, 2005, 09:12:42 AM »
B r u c e    S p r i n g s t e e n

DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN
(1978)

While Bruce Springsteen was working on "Darkness on the Edge of Town", there was a serious legal battle going on behind the scenes. The Boss was in an angry and morose mood, feeling pushed around by his ex-manager Mike Appel and ready to pour all of his wrath into a dark beauty of an album. "Darkness on the Edge of Town" is a pessimistic post-"Born to Run" scenario, where love ends in "Candyīs Room" and "Racing in the Street" is what the men do after work to distract themselves from their lives.

Itīs a gloomy world, and only on a few occasions, traces of optimism shine light into the the albumīs dark. "Badlands" shows an unbent Springsteen which reminds one of "Born to Run", "Prove it all Night" is an energetic and raw song that became a 10-minute epic on live shows. Still, on "Darkness on the Edge of Town", the rock legend paints his by far most dismal picture. "The highwayīs jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive", heīd sung only three years earlier. Seems this is were they ended up.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 09:46:22 AM by Hail to Kill »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Killīs 50 greatest albums ever - #40
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 09:18:01 AM »
wait, wats 41? or were can i look at the list, and thats a really gangsta album cover

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 09:26:55 AM »
wait, wats 41? or were can i look at the list, and thats a really gangsta album cover

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=90702.0

Elevz

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 11:59:36 AM »
The cover reminds me of tony montana in that apartment where they fuck up his buddy with a chainsaw... Gangsta! Yeah, props for the hookup, I'll give this a listen and see if it's something for me.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 01:03:13 PM »
LOVE this album, one of my favourites from the Boss.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Elevz

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 09:33:39 AM »
Allright, I checked it out and it just doesn't really seem to fit me well. Sounds like something my parents would like. Tracks like "The promised land" and the album's title track would definately do good on a classic movie soundtrack though.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 11:27:46 AM »
This album isn't getting nearly enough responses, it's a brilliant one.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 12:12:08 PM »
i listened to a couple songs, its really hard to understand exactly what he says, but musically i def enjoyed some of the tracks, ill give it a more in depth listen later

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 12:14:11 PM »
Anybody has a a WMA to mp3 converter that they recommend for me to DL?

-Euthanasia-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 12:31:55 PM »
i have one

u want it

it converts wma to mp3 like any wma/mp3 converter should. but what you might not expect is the uncanny ability to convert mp3 to wma. where does it stop, people?

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 09:46:48 AM »
bump