Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 279147 times)

WestCoasta

Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #1440 on: April 12, 2006, 08:22:22 PM »
nice game last night  8)

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1441 on: April 12, 2006, 09:51:41 PM »
nice game last night  8)
yup,espicially the 3rd quarter 8)

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #1442 on: April 12, 2006, 10:01:08 PM »
There are 2 reasons, actually 3 reasons that coach Phil should get the MVP award. They're named, Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown.

Last year, Kobe had a poor year by his standards. He was pretty much written off as an elite guard by the critics. The team finished with an abysmal 34-48 record. This year Kobe comes out gunning, playing at a historical level, approaching Wilt's records, and demolishing all of Elgin Baylor's season records that have stood for 40 years. Why is Kobe playing at a high level? We all know that he's a proud competitor that will do what it takes to win, but much of the credit lies in the hands of Phil Jackson, who has entrusted Kobe with the opportunity to truly be a leader and putting him in a position to succeed. Kobe needed the structure of a Phil Jackson led coaching staff, even if he didn't know it before.

Kobe's is just the tip of the ice

berg in my mind. He's already proven that he's one of the greats. However there are a couple of other key players that have been enigmas in their careers. One is named Lamar Odom. Lamar Odom, a player with so much talent and potential, yet is seen as having underachieved in his career. Coach entrusted him with the responsibility of running the offense and getting his teammates involved, playing a similar role that Kobe himself played for earlier championship teams. Lamar did struggle at first but his play was invaluable to the success of the team and Phil trusted him with key decisions late in games and put him in a position to succeed or fail, with is something that a young team, and a young player needs to grow. He made a bad decision against Sac but that was a mistake that needed to be made so that he can progress as a player and become a team leader. Phil knew that and put him in a position to grow. As a result, since the all-star break, Lamar Odom has been playing the best basketball of his career.

I think the biggest achievement has been getting through to Kwame Brown. Kwame Brown started the season lacking confidence after being subject to Michael Jordan and Doug Collins in Washington and the playoff debacle last season. One of the things I liked that Phil did was designing a play for Kwame in one of the earlier overtime games, giving him the needed experience and confidence to handle important game deciding situations. Kwame Brown struggled offensively at first but he bought into what coach Phil wanted out of him, to be a defensive stopper and a rebounder. His ensuing confidence in his defensive ability translated to his offensive game and he has easily played the best basketball of his career since he returned to the starting lineup.

Just the job Phil has done with those 3 merit the reward but let's look further. We have a player named Smush who was not in the NBA last season but has exceeded expectations. Luke Walton, who I've previously called "garbage" has played well the last couple of weeks. The team is gaining confidence and momentum, just like Phil's more talented teams in the past. This team is thriving under a system with a structure. They have accepted accountability for their play, whether good or bad. That is the sign of a well coached team.

Give Phil the coach of the year award, he deserves it.

agree. when they traded chucky atkins and caron butler for kwame brown i was like WTF. phil got the magic eye. and he definatly brought out the beast in kobe.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1443 on: April 12, 2006, 10:58:04 PM »
There are 2 reasons, actually 3 reasons that coach Phil should get the MVP award. They're named, Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown.

Last year, Kobe had a poor year by his standards. He was pretty much written off as an elite guard by the critics. The team finished with an abysmal 34-48 record. This year Kobe comes out gunning, playing at a historical level, approaching Wilt's records, and demolishing all of Elgin Baylor's season records that have stood for 40 years. Why is Kobe playing at a high level? We all know that he's a proud competitor that will do what it takes to win, but much of the credit lies in the hands of Phil Jackson, who has entrusted Kobe with the opportunity to truly be a leader and putting him in a position to succeed. Kobe needed the structure of a Phil Jackson led coaching staff, even if he didn't know it before.

Kobe's is just the tip of the iceberg in my mind. He's already proven that he's one of the greats. However there are a couple of other key players that have been enigmas in their careers. One is named Lamar Odom. Lamar Odom, a player with so much talent and potential, yet is seen as having underachieved in his career. Coach entrusted him with the responsibility of running the offense and getting his teammates involved, playing a similar role that Kobe himself played for earlier championship teams. Lamar did struggle at first but his play was invaluable to the success of the team and Phil trusted him with key decisions late in games and put him in a position to succeed or fail, with is something that a young team, and a young player needs to grow. He made a bad decision against Sac but that was a mistake that needed to be made so that he can progress as a player and become a team leader. Phil knew that and put him in a position to grow. As a result, since the all-star break, Lamar Odom has been playing the best basketball of his career.

I think the biggest achievement has been getting through to Kwame Brown. Kwame Brown started the season lacking confidence after being subject to Michael Jordan and Doug Collins in Washington and the playoff debacle last season. One of the things I liked that Phil did was designing a play for Kwame in one of the earlier overtime games, giving him the needed experience and confidence to handle important game deciding situations. Kwame Brown struggled offensively at first but he bought into what coach Phil wanted out of him, to be a defensive stopper and a rebounder. His ensuing confidence in his defensive ability translated to his offensive game and he has easily played the best basketball of his career since he returned to the starting lineup.

Just the job Phil has done with those 3 merit the reward but let's look further. We have a player named Smush who was not in the NBA last season but has exceeded expectations. Luke Walton, who I've previously called "garbage" has played well the last couple of weeks. The team is gaining confidence and momentum, just like Phil's more talented teams in the past. This team is thriving under a system with a structure. They have accepted accountability for their play, whether good or bad. That is the sign of a well coached team.

Give Phil the coach of the year award, he deserves it.

He does deserve it...But just like Kobe and the MVP award, he won't get it...Luke was never garbage though, he was simply in a confidence slump. He was missing wide-open shots left and right which we all knew he could make any time (well, at least I did). Now, I see him using his body more to his advantage. That's where his game has really picked up...He's a smart player, and if he keeps growing, he can be a really good player one day. Now, I like him as a role player and I like how his confidence is growing...It's pretty obvious that Phil has something to do with his recent improvement, along with Kwame's, Lamar's, Smush's etc...He deserves the award, he won't get it though...PeACe

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #1444 on: April 12, 2006, 11:58:52 PM »
IM GOING TO THE L8KERS GAME FRIDAYZ IM GOING HAVE MY GOLD RAG IN MY POCKET HANGIN OUT SIDE MY POCKET 8)

THIZ GAME IS GOING 2 BE A BLOW OUT 8)

MAKE MY 100 PLUS POINT POST K8BE IS GOING TO DO THE SAME THING IN THE GAME 8)

***GO LAKERS***
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 12:02:05 AM by LAKERS_FAN89 »

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1445 on: April 13, 2006, 12:20:43 AM »
IM GOING TO THE L8KERS GAME FRIDAYZ IM GOING HAVE MY GOLD RAG IN MY POCKET HANGIN OUT SIDE MY POCKET 8)

***GO LAKERS***

props on the 100 point post Lakerfan 8)

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #1446 on: April 13, 2006, 12:22:53 AM »

***GO LAKERS***

THXXXX...LAKERS WILL SCORE MORE THEN A 100 POINT PLEASE BELIVE IT HOMIE..GO LAKERS MOTHERFUCKER 1 LOVE 8)

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1447 on: April 13, 2006, 12:23:54 AM »

***GO LAKERS***

THXXXX...LAKERS WILL SCORE MORE THEN A 100 POINT PLEASE BELIVE IT HOMIE..GO LAKERS MOTHERFUCKER 1 LOVE 8)

lol yea hopefully the kick tha shit outta portland

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #1448 on: April 13, 2006, 12:29:35 AM »

***GO LAKERS***

yeah im sure they will!!

once again fuck vince carter here have some of my LAKERS GOLD PEE BITCH :monkey_piss:

LOL

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1449 on: April 13, 2006, 12:31:35 AM »

***GO LAKERS***

yeah im sure they will!!

once again fuck vince carter here have some of my LAKERS GOLD PEE BITCH :monkey_piss:

LOL

ahahahahahahahaha that was sum funny shit  :D

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #1450 on: April 13, 2006, 12:34:37 AM »

***GO LAKERS***

yeah im sure they will!!

LOL

ahahahahahahahaha that was sum funny shit  :D
JAJAJAJA YEA FUCK THEM HATERZ HOMIE 8)

lbc213

« Reply #1451 on: April 13, 2006, 04:58:18 AM »
Playoffs begin in exactly 10 days... 8) 8) 8)

Can't believe that the regular season is already (almost) over :s, seems like yesterday when it started.

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1452 on: April 13, 2006, 11:01:51 AM »
LakerFan, got ur sig and avatar pics workin,nice ,representin 8)

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1453 on: April 13, 2006, 11:58:56 AM »
2000th

POST!!!

I'd figure I'd celebrate it in the Laker thread.

I'll bring the booze, who's got the strippers?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 12:04:18 PM by Juronimo is Public Enemy #1 »
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #1454 on: April 13, 2006, 12:00:35 PM »
2000th POST

I'd figure I'd celebrate it in the Laker thread.

I'll bring the booze, who's got the strippers?
Props. I can't get any strippers, but I'll provide some of the stickiest of the icky.