Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 282652 times)

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #8220 on: May 08, 2013, 10:22:20 AM »
I think the Clips going to Orange County would be an interesting move.  But I'm just wondering if they'd be the Anaheim Clippers or Los Angeles Clippers of Anaheim, haha... just like the Angels.  But that would make the Orange Crush (where the 5-57-22 freeways meet) even more of a shit show.

I like  Los Angeles Clippers of Anaheim

lol I never understood that. Angels: California Angels, Anahiem Angels, now Los Angeles Angels of Anahiem. Like wtf is the rational behind that?
At first, the name changes reflected where the team was moving.  When the team was sold to new owners a few years back, the owner wanted to change it to be the Los Angeles Angels to re-connect the team to its LA roots and just connect it with being part of the greater LA area (as people outside of California more or less consider anything north of SD to be LA anyway), but I think the leasing agreement that the team had with Anaheim was that they were legally bound to have the official team name contain "Anaheim" in it.  I remember when it happened, since I was finishing up at UC Irvine back then, and I guess a lot of people in OC were pissed and the Angels got sued but won because the official terms just said it had to contain the city name, not necessarily that they had to be the Anaheim Angels.  But yes, it's pretty silly.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #8221 on: May 08, 2013, 10:45:30 AM »
Yeah, the team was originally the Los Angeles Angels, in fact they are named the Angels because Los Angeles means the angels in Spanish. (The cities whole name is actually La Ciudad de Los Angeles or the City of Angels) So When Arte Moreno bought the team, he wanted to reconnect that history with the team, and at the same time cut into the Los Angeles market with signs like this...

So the name change was to reconnect history and at the same time cut into the Dodgers market. It worked, as even on here there are tons of Lakers fans, but in terms of baseball the loyalty is divided. Seems dumb, but it worked.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #8222 on: May 08, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
^ The full name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angles (The Town of Our Lady the Queen of Angels).  I remember I had to do a report on it in fourth grade back in the day, haha.  It was a long ass name.

Sccit

« Reply #8223 on: May 08, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »
Nothing is divided, there are way more Dodger fans in LA than Angel fans

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8224 on: May 08, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »
Nothing is divided, there are way more Dodger fans in LA than Angel fans

I'm talking all of all the "Southland". IE, OC and LA. LA is bigger than both, there will always be more Dodger fans, and the OC will always be Angel fans. But in IE it is divided. Older folks love the Dodgers, the younger kids love the Angels. And it shows here, it shows basically every time I go home. (I am an IE kid after all)

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #8225 on: May 09, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
one things damn sure, LA is a laker town, theoretically if CP3 bolts, so does their fans. i really hate the bandwagon clipper fans

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Sccit

« Reply #8226 on: May 12, 2013, 12:21:07 AM »
matt barnes interview:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=9256043

- Says the only reason he's not a Laker last season was because he was told that coach (Mike Brown) didn't want to bring him back with the Lakers.

- Says he's been playing for the veteran min every year and wants to start earning something around the MLE.

- Says he'd like to stay in LA, says Lakers/Clippers are basically his top choices for next season.

- Says he also talks to Chris Paul a lot and knows CP3 loves LA.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8227 on: May 13, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
I have been thinking about it for a while, and after much deliberation, I think it's time for the Lakers to let Dwight Howard walk. Chris Paul can resign with the Clippers, Dwight can go to the Clippers, the Clippers can win for the next 3-5 years and it's all good. I think that mortgaging the long term Laker legacy of Kobe Bryant and his loyalty and the fans loyalty to him might be too much to gamble, and I think we keep Pau and Kobe together with Artest. But Dwight and CP3 are both 27 and 28 years old. They only have 4-5 good years left and to try and sign them and keep Kobe would be too much and it's time to let the dream of that future go and start to look at a better, longer future.

What makes the Kobe draft pick in 1996 brilliant is that the Lakers set a cornerstone of their franchise for the next 17-18 years. Hell Kobe can play another 2-3 years as just a shooter on the outside like Ray Allen did. That's an amazing trade to get a very young talent that carried the franchise longer than anyone else. When looking at the future, I wanted Howard or Bynum to carry the Lakers to the future, but that's a very short term future plan. The Lakers need to look long term future, so one who is 19-23. I don't know who yet, but it might be time for the Lakers to try and figure out how to get draft picks. The Lakers are not a franchise that builds through the draft often, but it might be time for a long, 10 year plan to win titles for a long time.

Just a thought.

Sccit

« Reply #8228 on: May 13, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »
I have been thinking about it for a while, and after much deliberation, I think it's time for the Lakers to let Dwight Howard walk. Chris Paul can resign with the Clippers, Dwight can go to the Clippers, the Clippers can win for the next 3-5 years and it's all good. I think that mortgaging the long term Laker legacy of Kobe Bryant and his loyalty and the fans loyalty to him might be too much to gamble, and I think we keep Pau and Kobe together with Artest. But Dwight and CP3 are both 27 and 28 years old. They only have 4-5 good years left and to try and sign them and keep Kobe would be too much and it's time to let the dream of that future go and start to look at a better, longer future.

What makes the Kobe draft pick in 1996 brilliant is that the Lakers set a cornerstone of their franchise for the next 17-18 years. Hell Kobe can play another 2-3 years as just a shooter on the outside like Ray Allen did. That's an amazing trade to get a very young talent that carried the franchise longer than anyone else. When looking at the future, I wanted Howard or Bynum to carry the Lakers to the future, but that's a very short term future plan. The Lakers need to look long term future, so one who is 19-23. I don't know who yet, but it might be time for the Lakers to try and figure out how to get draft picks. The Lakers are not a franchise that builds through the draft often, but it might be time for a long, 10 year plan to win titles for a long time.

Just a thought.

bynum for dwight sign-n-trade for sign-n-trade...i'd sleep easier

Remedy360

« Reply #8229 on: May 13, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »

Just a thought.

When the hell is that guy ever gonna play again?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8230 on: May 13, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »

Just a thought.

Bynum is a free agent, why not just a Bynum sign, plus we wouldn't have to pay the max money for him. My main concern with him is the injures. Too injured prone.

Sccit

« Reply #8231 on: May 13, 2013, 03:16:46 PM »
He's good for at least every other year..  :laugh:

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #8232 on: May 13, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »
lol you think anyone really wants to live out in houston? or dallas?

dwight isnt going anywhere.
Houston is a nice city.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #8233 on: May 13, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
Just think-once upon a time, at beginning of the season they were predicting winning over 70 games, and challenging for an NBA championship. They went 0-8 for the preseason and every one panicked lol later the lakers would find that they would go out in the playoffs just like they went out in the preseason with a DONUT 0!!!!!
Nobody was saying the Lakers would win 70 games. Most people didn't even think they'd win more games than the Thunder.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8234 on: May 15, 2013, 09:39:22 PM »
I'm starting to buy the hype of Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins. Should the Lakers find a way to get in the lotto?