Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 283108 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #8385 on: February 11, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2013-05-23/dwight-howard-free-agent-sign-and-trade-lakers-rockets-mavericks

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/5/4495454/dwight-howard-rumors-trade-rockets-warriors-lake

http://www.ibtimes.com/lakers-trade-rumors-jeremy-lin-la-sign-trade-package-deal-houston-rockets-free-agent-dwight-howard

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/06/17/lakers-wont-deal-dwight-howard-in-a-sign-and-trade/

http://www.lakersnation.com/sources-lakers-wont-agree-to-dwight-howard-sign-and-trade/2013/06/14/

all them links say nothing of dwight wanting or agreeing to a sign and trade...he has no incentive.

Nor did anything say he DIDN'T want a sign and trade, but those links point to the Lakers NOT wanting to do a sign and trade. And they did mention the incentive, one extra year and $30 million extra in the overall deal. But even if he wanted a sign and trade to get the extra money, the Lakers were saying no. Now in one of the deepest drafts, it looks like that was a mistake as the Lakers could use a few picks.

Sccit

« Reply #8386 on: February 11, 2014, 11:42:15 PM »
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2013-05-23/dwight-howard-free-agent-sign-and-trade-lakers-rockets-mavericks

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/5/4495454/dwight-howard-rumors-trade-rockets-warriors-lake

http://www.ibtimes.com/lakers-trade-rumors-jeremy-lin-la-sign-trade-package-deal-houston-rockets-free-agent-dwight-howard

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/06/17/lakers-wont-deal-dwight-howard-in-a-sign-and-trade/

http://www.lakersnation.com/sources-lakers-wont-agree-to-dwight-howard-sign-and-trade/2013/06/14/

all them links say nothing of dwight wanting or agreeing to a sign and trade...he has no incentive.

Nor did anything say he DIDN'T want a sign and trade, but those links point to the Lakers NOT wanting to do a sign and trade. And they did mention the incentive, one extra year and $30 million extra in the overall deal. But even if he wanted a sign and trade to get the extra money, the Lakers were saying no. Now in one of the deepest drafts, it looks like that was a mistake as the Lakers could use a few picks.

the priority was to sign him, we knew there wasn't gunna be a sign and trade.

Better for the Lakers to get something for Howard instead of letting him leave for nothing, right? Not really.

Let’s be real. If Howard leaves while Kobe Bryant is in the early stages of his comeback from a torn Achilles tendon, the Lakers have no chance to win a championship next season.

That wouldn’t change if they accepted a sign-and-trade deal that sent every player on the Mavs’ roster not named Nowitzki to Los Angeles. All that would do is prevent the Lakers from avoiding a massive luxury tax bill.

If the Lakers added Shawn Marion, Vince Carter and Mavs filler to a roster that features rehabbing Kobe, ancient Steve Nash and Pau Gasol, they’d be fighting just for a shot to sneak into the playoffs again while paying a luxury-tax bill in the neighborhood of $28 million, assuming they’d use the amnesty clause on Metta World Peace.

What about that would possibly appeal to L.A.?

If Howard leaves, the Lakers might as well unofficially tank the season. They could avoid the luxury tax altogether by using the amnesty clause on Gasol. Kobe could take his sweet time with his comeback.

In this scenario, the Lakers could be looking at a high lottery pick in a loaded 2014 draft, when they’ll also have a ton of cap space. Why would they want to end up with a middle-of-the-road pick after putting together a mediocre team with a nine-figure price tag?

and lets be real, no one was trading away lottery picks in this years draft...we're gunna get a high pick now because we DIDNT sign-and-trade. but it wasnt happenin on either side.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:45:36 PM by NIKCC »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8387 on: February 12, 2014, 06:04:18 AM »
But what was shown is that whoevernhas Howard isn't making the lotto. You get a couple of washed up players, J. Lin and first round draft picks from now until 3 years down then road and you can rebuild. Or have other teams draft picks in there. Fact is, every high superstar pick the Lakers have made have been other people's draft pick. Mitch botched this situation.

Sccit

« Reply #8388 on: February 12, 2014, 10:39:27 AM »
But what was shown is that whoevernhas Howard isn't making the lotto. You get a couple of washed up players, J. Lin and first round draft picks from now until 3 years down then road and you can rebuild. Or have other teams draft picks in there. Fact is, every high superstar pick the Lakers have made have been other people's draft pick. Mitch botched this situation.

did u not read what i said? a.dwight wasn't going to do a sign-and-trade b.nobody was trading draft picks c.acquiring talent for howard would only lessen our chances at a good pick this year

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8389 on: February 12, 2014, 10:52:47 AM »

did u not read what i said? a.dwight wasn't going to do a sign-and-trade b.nobody was trading draft picks c.acquiring talent for howard would only lessen our chances at a good pick this year

Hum... in June he asked for a sign and trade so he could get more money.

Dude, your talking out both sides of your mouth. You're like, Lakers should sign and trade Howard, well Howard didn't want a sign and trade. Fact is Howard wanted a sign and trade at first, then Lakers refused, then when they realized Howard was leaving Howard refused because he just wanted to be done with LA. It was dumb on the Lakers part and the biggest mistake in the Mitch era. Though I mainly blame Jimmy Buss because I am sure Mitch knew the right move to make, he was just taking orders. The Lakers have NEVER missed the playoffs 2 years in a row in franchise history. With Jimmy still running the team, I am very worried about that.

Sccit

« Reply #8390 on: February 12, 2014, 12:16:19 PM »
I don't remember anything about him wanting a sign-n-trade...and there was more money to be made by signing with Houston, because of the tax laws. either way, he was leading us on and making us think theres a chance he'd stay for some time..the sign-n-trade was always pipe dream.

things are quietly goin good for us right now....everyone comes off the books in the summer, we found a potential point guard for the future in kendall marshall, kobe fractured his knee, allowing more time for the Achilles to rest, enough money to sign two max-level players this coming offseason, a probable top 5 pick comin our way.......the odds are in our favor. if we play our cards right, we'll be killin the game again by next year.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8391 on: February 12, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »
Okay... I'm not so sure...

Lots of contracts come off the books, but Kobe is signed for too much, we need luck to get into the top 3 and the Lakers are about to lose 7 in a row at home, plus they don't look ready to compete next year... this is NOT good. Unless they can make a trade for Love.

And the sign and trade was not a pipe dream. There was lots of options, Dwight wanted it, Houston was ready to give it, and the Lakers tried to act tough at first. It was a misjudgment about how LA has never lost a big name free agent. It was a slap in the face, and I truly hope the organization realizes that it will take more than Gold and Forum Blue uniforms to regain their mojo. I want to see #17 and #18 in the next few years. I can't stand Boston being on top. And this could have been avoided had the Lakers sucked it up and talked to Houston in June instead of trying to push something last minute.

We are not good right now. Marshall, cool, Nick Young, cool, but these are not starters for a championship level team. At best these are role players. I wouldn't be convinced the Lakers are back unless I see some real talent on the roster under the age of 27.

Sccit

« Reply #8392 on: February 12, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
quit bein such a negative nancy, it almost sounds like u want us to fail

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8393 on: February 12, 2014, 08:22:56 PM »
quit bein such a negative nancy, it almost sounds like u want us to fail

I want Jimmy to stop running the team, let Jeanie and Phil handle that, get some young talent under 27 ready for prime time and an exciting brand of basketball that I don't feel bored watching. Hell I'd take a team like the early 90's with Van Exel, Jones, Cedric, Campbell and Vlade. It takes time to build a championship team, even Shaq and Kobe needed 4 years. But make the product watchable, even if you are going to lose. At least when they lost after. Shaq left the team had a young Kobe. Right now, I take time to watch the game, and it sucks. I have never felt this way as a fan. And if they had more draft picks, at least I'd feel better about the future.

Sccit

« Reply #8394 on: February 12, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »
IM TELLING U, WE HAVE ALL THE LEVERAGE IN THE WORLD GOING INTO NEXT SEASON....HAVE SOME FAITH. WE STILL GOT ONE OF THE BEST GM'S IN THE BUSINESS.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8395 on: February 12, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »
GM don't worry me. It seems since Jimmy took over things have changed.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #8396 on: February 13, 2014, 10:36:01 PM »
Shawne Williams is fucking horrible

Remedy360

« Reply #8397 on: February 13, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »

Wow I was at the gym when they were still up double digits.I left happy thinking they were getting smashed by a depleted team  :-\

Sccit

« Reply #8398 on: February 14, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »

shawne williams is no star, but i thought he had a good game....not a bad role player by any means.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8399 on: February 21, 2014, 09:17:15 PM »
I am mad. This storm knocked out my satellite, and I am missing the Lakers/Celtics. I hate missing the Lakers/Celtics.