Author Topic: Is gangsta rap to blame for the riots in France?  (Read 468 times)

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
Re: Is gangsta rap to blame for the riots in France?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 09:18:03 PM »
I honestly think this article describes Tech.

A young, confused Muslim boy who is frustrated with his place in a white man's world. He is mad at society, so he he turns to the latest Snoop Doggy Dogg CD to release his pent up anger.

Too bad you're glorifying that gangster shit in your own username.
 So you are

A young, confused polish boy who is frustrated with his place in an American Man's country. He is mad at other societies, so he turns to racism to release his pent up anger. Hop off our American dick, you foriegn bitch.

blonde_opie

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 09:31:15 PM »
But the left wing media is looking for ways to blame the riots on everyone except the people actually doing the rioting. First they blamed the cops chasing the 2 boys who were electrocuted, then they blame the French politician who called the boys scum, then the blamed racism against French Arabs, and now it is gangsta rap music.

Why is the media so quick to blame everyone except the people rioting?
because the media is so full of shit.

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 10:09:56 PM »
But the left wing media is looking for ways to blame the riots on everyone except the people actually doing the rioting. First they blamed the cops chasing the 2 boys who were electrocuted, then they blame the French politician who called the boys scum, then the blamed racism against French Arabs, and now it is gangsta rap music.

why are the republicans such miserable failures?

Democrats aren't exactly the poster boys for success either.

ThatSICCNESS

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 10:46:31 PM »
Typical, blame everything else except the real reason

Trauma-san

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 10:57:54 PM »

why are the republicans such miserable failures?

They're not.  You're just holed up in your own world so tightly, you can't see the forest for all the fucking trees.

The republicans are miserable failures, but yet they won the last two presidential elections, with a candidate who is currently wildly unpopular, and they own the Senate, they own the House, and they own an ever increasing number of governorships.

But they're failures, right?  LOL I thought liberals knew more about failure than that, guess not. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 11:01:46 PM »
ill say it loud and clear man : when u have no money to pay ur studies,no parents at home when ure a child bcuz they strugglin to get that small amout of do' to feed u,when u are diplomated with a master degree at that u find no job(even jobs that dont fit with ur qualifications!) or more precisely that nobody wants u, when u see by urself that the doors are closin one by one day by day ,u dont have too many choices: u deal drugs or u a rapper & eventually if ure talented ...u do sport(bball,football...)

thats whats up here since almost 20 years  same for usa & this is not near to end bcuz it is well known we're living in a white/christian/jewish world thats that kind of people who runs every occidental state & they have no intentions to let u take their job..they not fools u know.

Maybe if you started talking or typing in complete sentences, you'd be a little more marketable to a potential employer.  Just trying to help.... but I'm one of the white guys you're talking about running shit, and just in the way you just presented yourself, you'd be the absolute last person I'd hire.  You also might want to think about why you view your three choices in life to be either a drug dealer, a rapper, or a sports star.  Talent doesn't necessarily mean you can play football.  Your parents should have educated you, but I guess they didn't.  Your teachers should have educated you, but I guess they didn't.  Now it's up to you to quit bitching about the white man, educate YOURSELF, and pull yourself out of whatever bullshit situation you imagine you're in. 

Or, you could just blame me.  Whatever. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 11:04:11 PM by I Want My Donation Back »

Don Seer

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 12:00:35 AM »
^ LOL

Maybe because people want to figure out why people are doing it?  Everybody fucking knows who's doing it.  The question is why?  Nobody is blaming the riots on anybody but the the ones who are rioting, all the reports on TV, articles I read in the paper and on the internet are just trying to see find out the reason WHY.  I guess this is how you would like the media to tell you the info...

Sons of Arab Immigrants causing riots because they are Muslims. 

That's all you need to know folks!  Good night! 

exactly... *props*

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 12:17:32 AM »
HEADLINE: Gangsta, in French 

BYLINE: By DAVID BROOKS

BODY:

After 9/11, everyone knew there was going to be a debate about the future of Islam. We just didn't know the debate would be between Osama bin Laden and Tupac Shakur.

Yet those seem to be the lifestyle alternatives that are really on offer for poor young Muslim men in places like France, Britain and maybe even the world beyond. A few highly alienated and fanatical young men commit themselves to the radical Islam of bin Laden. But most find their self-respect by embracing the poses and worldview of American hip-hop and gangsta rap.

One of the striking things about the scenes from France is how thoroughly the rioters have assimilated hip-hop and rap culture. It's not only that they use the same hand gestures as American rappers, wear the same clothes and necklaces, play the same video games, and sit with the same sorts of car stereos at full blast. It's that they seem to have adopted the same poses of exaggerated manhood, the same attitudes about women, money and the police. They seem to have replicated the same sort of gang culture, the same romantic visions of gunslinging drug dealers.

In a globalized age it's perhaps inevitable that the culture of resistance gets globalized, too. What we are seeing is what Mark Lilla of the University of Chicago calls a universal culture of the wretched of the earth. The images, modes and attitudes of hip-hop and gangsta rap are so powerful they are having a hegemonic effect across the globe.

American ghetto life, at least as portrayed in rap videos, now defines for the young, poor and disaffected what it means to be oppressed. Gangsta resistance is the most compelling model for how to rebel against that oppression. If you want to stand up and fight The Man, the Notorious B.I.G. shows the way.

This is a reminder that for all the talk about American cultural hegemony, American countercultural hegemony has always been more powerful. America's rebellious countercultural heroes exert more influence around the world than the clean establishment images from Disney and McDonald's. This is our final insult to the anti-Americans; we define how to be anti-American, and the foreigners who attack us are reduced to borrowing our own cliches.

When rap first came to France, American rappers dominated the scene, but now the suburban immigrant neighborhoods have produced their own stars in their own language. French rap lyrics today are like the American gangsta lyrics of about five or 10 years ago, when it was more common to fantasize about cop killings and gang rape.

Most of the lyrics can't be reprinted in this newspaper, but you can get a sense of them from, say, a snippet from a song from Bitter Ministry: ''Another woman takes her beating./This time she's called Brigitte./She's the wife of a cop. '' Or this from Mr. R's celebrated album ''PolitiKment IncorreKt'': ''France is a *****. Don't forget to [deleted] her to exhaustion. You have to treat her like a whore, man! My ******s and my Arabs, our playground is the street with the most guns!''

The French gangsta pose is familiar. It is built around the image of the strong, violent hypermacho male, who loudly asserts his dominance and demands respect. The gangsta is a brave, countercultural criminal. He has nothing but rage for the institutions of society: the state and the schools. He shows his own cruel strength by dominating women. It is perhaps no accident that until the riots, the biggest story coming out of these neighborhoods was the rise of astonishing and horrific gang rapes.

In other words, what we are seeing in France will be familiar to anyone who watched gangsta culture rise in this country. You take a population of young men who are oppressed by racism and who face limited opportunities, and you present them with a culture that encourages them to become exactly the sort of people the bigots think they are -- and you call this proud self-assertion and empowerment. You take men who are already suspected by the police because of their color, and you romanticize and encourage criminality so they will be really despised and mistreated. You tell them to defy oppression by embracing self-destruction.

In America, at least, gangsta rap is sort of a game. The gangsta fan ends up in college or law school. But in France, the barriers to ascent are higher. The prejudice is more impermeable, and the labor markets are more rigid. There really is no escape.

URL: http://www.nytimes.com

Interesting!...mainly because I've been detecting the same tendency among other cultures as well. Moreover, when a group of people(mostly such that are lead or have leaders but not necessarily) strives to be reckoned as "resistance of the oppressed" by certain target audiences they will coopt this cultural pattern to their agenda and for the average American adolescent, for example(one that listens to HipHop and that is influenced by it), this group of people would seem much more relative and easy to identify with.

P.S Sometimes the use of this adaptation of HipHop culture is a very sophisticated propaganda tool.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

J Bananas

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 12:21:33 AM »
I think blaming the people who committed the crimes would be a wild idea.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2005, 05:09:42 AM »
Music doesnt kill people, people kill people.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2005, 06:19:03 AM »
ill say it loud and clear man : when u have no money to pay ur studies,no parents at home when ure a child bcuz they strugglin to get that small amout of do' to feed u,when u are diplomated with a master degree at that u find no job(even jobs that dont fit with ur qualifications!) or more precisely that nobody wants u, when u see by urself that the doors are closin one by one day by day ,u dont have too many choices: u deal drugs or u a rapper & eventually if ure talented ...u do sport(bball,football...)

thats whats up here since almost 20 years  same for usa & this is not near to end bcuz it is well known we're living in a white/christian/jewish world thats that kind of people who runs every occidental state & they have no intentions to let u take their job..they not fools u know.

Maybe if you started talking or typing in complete sentences, you'd be a little more marketable to a potential employer.  Just trying to help.... but I'm one of the white guys you're talking about running shit, and just in the way you just presented yourself, you'd be the absolute last person I'd hire.  You also might want to think about why you view your three choices in life to be either a drug dealer, a rapper, or a sports star.  Talent doesn't necessarily mean you can play football.  Your parents should have educated you, but I guess they didn't.  Your teachers should have educated you, but I guess they didn't.  Now it's up to you to quit bitching about the white man, educate YOURSELF, and pull yourself out of whatever bullshit situation you imagine you're in. 

Or, you could just blame me. Whatever.

im white man so im relating what im dealin with>> misery is expanding<<
& I do believe im well educated just like my oldest bro'& my lil bro'

the truth is what i said nothing less nothing mo' & if u wont face it in the right way ,well that concerns u...only

the richs gets richer & the poors gets poorer, i believe that at a certain point every class from the top to the bottom of this society will express itself sooner or later... not with words but with bad moves,like riots
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 06:43:57 AM by ForKnoX »
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

blonde_opie

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 07:16:24 AM »
I think blaming the people who committed the crimes would be a wild idea.

are you fucking kidding?  what kind of moron would do that?  LOL!  How the fuck do you NOT blame the people rioting?

What I have to ask, though, is, if these kids that hid in the power box did nothing wrong to begin with, then why were they running from the police?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 07:17:47 AM »
How some people just DON'T get obvious sarcasm is beyond me.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

blonde_opie

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2005, 07:22:38 AM »
How some people just DON'T get obvious sarcasm is beyond me.

If that was directed at me, my whole post was sarcastic,  or most of it anyway.  If it wasn't, and I just didn't read enough of the thread yet, then forget this post.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2005, 08:26:46 AM »
Ha ha that little white boy caught feelings and wanna diss Tech now.

Son respect ya elders, I aint even gonna say ya name, your diss flopped like Jas last album
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll