Author Topic: 50's movie bombs at the box office. Box office numbers  (Read 659 times)

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
50's movie bombs at the box office. Box office numbers
« on: November 12, 2005, 04:01:20 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175392,00.html

I know my little homees on the board, another 50 cent topic. But this was not expected..

50 Cent Discounted at Box Office

He may have sold a lot of CDs but rapper 50 Cent can’t seem to get his fans into theaters.

It’s either because of the shooting in a Pittsburgh theater that killed one fan this week, or it’s simply a matter of little interest in the subject matter.

On Friday night, “Get Rich or Die Tryin’,” the violent biopic about Curtis Jackson (famous for being shot nine times and then becoming the owner of much jewelry) finished in fourth place behind “Chicken Little,” “Zathura” and “Derailed.” It only narrowly beat out fifth place Jarhead with a take of $4.5 million.

Since opening on Wednesday, "Get Rich" has brought in only $13.8 million. If you add in a possible $9 million more for tonight and tomorrow, it will have $24 million under its diamond-crusted bling-bling belt. That’s not the blockbuster Paramount could have been hoping for, but maybe DVD sales are where the action is on this title.

(Story continues below)

ADVERTISEMENTSAdvertise Here 

The number of people who will have seen "Get Rich" in five days is kind of interesting when you think about it. That $24 million, at ten bucks a pop, translates into 240,000 tickets sold. If some tickets went for a little less, we could be generous and say 300,000 fans of the rapper made it through turnstiles — and maybe in some cases metal detectors — to see their idol.

But 50 Cent’s albums, at least by Universal Music Group’s accounting, have each sold millions in an equivalent time period. And oddly enough, there is currently no 50 Cent album or soundtrack album on the Billboard Top 100. 50 Cent’s “The Massacre,” which was released nine months ago, is No. 30 on the Billboard Hip Hop/Rap chart. The movie has generated no heat for 50 Cent’s music at all.

So the question is, where are those fans and why didn’t they pour in to theaters this weekend to see their man? It’s certainly no fault of director Jim Sheridan or even Paramount marketing. They did their best. Maybe the answer is that there aren’t so many 50 Cent fans in the first place. That would raise some other questions, certainly.

Weekend Box office only not total                           Website is    boxofficemojo.com
Chicken Little 11 million
Zathura 5 Million
Derailed 4. 8
Jarhead 4.4
Get Rich or Die Tryin 4.3
Saw 2 3.3
Zorro 2  2.29

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: 50's movie bombs at the box office. Box office numbers
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 04:10:35 PM »
Sorry fellas, But I dIdn't see this coming. I thought he had so much controversy the little TRL crowd would go out and see it. But, I guess he found out real music fans like us on the board, thought about all the shit he's started with numberous mc's and said fuck- it. Hell, Roger Ebert gave the movie 2 thumbs up. Only the second time for the rap genre type movie. He deserves it..

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 04:21:31 PM »
Also, people are tired of hearing his story lol.  Everybody knows it. 

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 04:29:11 PM »

and no one wants to waste money on a movie, in which the main character mumbles through his liines without showing any emotion

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 04:41:43 PM »
This is the beginning of the end. I was expecting the movie to be huge, but 50 is losin' his steam.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 04:43:05 PM »
This is the beginning of the end. I was expecting the movie to be huge, but 50 is losin' his steam.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »
No one believed me 6 months ago when I said G-Unit is falling off. Then Tony Yayo's album came out and everyone hopped on the bandwagon.

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 04:48:15 PM »
No one believed me 6 months ago when I said G-Unit is falling off. Then Tony Yayo's album came out and everyone hopped on the bandwagon.

I've been saying the same shit way before Yayo flopped too. I don't think we will see anymore G-Unit albums in store for a while.

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 04:49:24 PM »
Olivia is gonna flop. Spider Loc? Who da fuck is that?  ;D
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 04:50:37 PM »
Olivia is gonna flop. Spider Loc? Who da fuck is that?  ;D

Olivia already has flopped basically, hasn't she had two singles out or something?

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 05:00:51 PM »
And oddly enough, there is currently no 50 Cent album or soundtrack album on the Billboard Top 100.

Check the facts buddy, hes #30, on the top 100 albums chart. And these are estimates, I bet it sold over 30 million. I wouldn't trust Fox news with anything.

blonde_opie

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 05:53:48 PM »
And oddly enough, there is currently no 50 Cent album or soundtrack album on the Billboard Top 100.

Check the facts buddy, hes #30, on the top 100 albums chart. And these are estimates, I bet it sold over 30 million. I wouldn't trust Fox news with anything.

yeah, those lines are confusing.  one line totally cancels the other line out!

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2005, 06:03:15 PM »
Wow. I'm surprised. I though this movie would draw a massive crowd with all the advetrisments and hype. G-Unit is truely on its way down.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 06:47:29 PM »

yeah we've heard the whole "i got shot 9 times" thing for 3 years now. besides that, you're not supposed to have a story-of-your-life movie this soon in your career

yeah im was expecting 13 mill the first day
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

J Bananas

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2005, 10:49:33 PM »
well if so many people didnt keep getting killed in the lobby maybe there'd be more patrons.