Author Topic: EU to build network of spy satellites  (Read 144 times)

Kal EL

EU to build network of spy satellites
« on: November 16, 2005, 01:48:24 PM »
EU to build network of spy satellites

London Telegraph/David Rennie | November 16 2005

The European Union is building its own network of spy satellites allowing Brussels to ensure nations and private individuals are obeying its policies, it was announced yesterday.

The multi-billion-pound system, known as "Global Monitoring for Environment and Security" (GMES), should be up and running by 2010, a commission spokesman said. Announcing the launch of a "pilot stage" for GMES, the commission stressed its "user-friendly" application in guiding relief work after disasters or providing real time images of forest fires or oil spills.

But a commission memo also acknowledged that GMES would play a key role in the "implementation, review and monitoring of EU policies", including watching for agriculture and fisheries fraud and boosting "internal security".

In addition, officials hope GMES will support the EU's first steps towards becoming a military power. It will "provide authorities with necessary elements for a European Security and Defence Policy", the commission memo said.

The commission in Brussels will identify and develop possible uses for GMES. The management of the satellites will fall to the European Space Agency (ESA), which pools the space resources of 15 EU member states, including Britain, plus Norway and Switzerland.

US politicians are already suspicious of the ESA's "Galileo" project, a 30-satellite global navigation system designed to improve on the Pentagon-controlled GPS system. The EU's invitation to China to become a major investor only increased US concern.

Gregor Kreuzhuber, the commission's spokesman for industry policy, yesterday described GMES as "a little brother for Galileo, a sort of satellite system where you can better monitor what is happening on our planet".

GMES is intended to exploit existing assets belonging to individual EU nations. National governments would retain control over their satellites, Mr Kreuzhuber pledged.

Harmonising the use of national assets in space should mean Europe does not need to launch a full set of new satellites though some EU spacecraft are expected to be needed.

With the ESA, the commission has already spent £154 million on preparatory work, and expects the whole project to cost £1.54 billion between 2006 and 2013. Funding is to come from the commission, national governments and private defence and space firms.

Get Alex Jones and Paul Joseph Watson's books, ALL Alex's documentary films, films by other authors, audio interviews and special reports. Sign up at Prison Planet.tv - CLICK HERE.E MAIL THIS PAGE

J Bananas

Re: EU to build network of spy satellites
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 01:57:57 PM »
How do we destroy it?

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 02:01:21 PM »
The've not really got off to a good start have they, if I'm going to spy on somebody I'm not going to tell them.

Kal EL

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 02:02:14 PM »
Maybe they feel as though the average person will just shrug their shoulders.

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
taking from google

"France has taken the lead in arguing that EU governments should invest in spy satellites because Europeans cannot rely entirely on Washington. Germany has edged toward that view since the Kosovo conflict, when the German Defense Ministry complained that its troops on the ground were exposed to needless risks because the allies had inadequate access to U.S satellite data."

51 cent

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 02:09:08 PM »
I'm all for national security, but why should these "first" world nations rely on us for that information?  I think they're smart!!!!  What that means for us kinda sucks, but I mean, about time they jumped on their own intelligence, etc!!
"Aight, new drink..."

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 02:10:20 PM »
I rather live like a man in a little danger than have faggots spy on my ass. I'm sincere.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin