Author Topic: Saudi Teacher Sentenced to 750 Lashes  (Read 690 times)

Kal EL

Saudi Teacher Sentenced to 750 Lashes
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:28:16 AM »
Saudi Teacher Sentenced to 750 Lashes
By TAREK AL-ISSAWI, Associated Press Writer

Thursday, November 17, 2005

(11-17) 09:10 PST DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) --

A Saudi high-school chemistry teacher accused of discussing religion with his students has been sentenced to 750 lashes and 40 months in prison for blasphemy, officials said Thursday.

The court ruling was condemned by human rights activists, who said Mohammed Salamah al-Harbi was being imprisoned for having an "open discussion" with students.

Al-Harbi was convicted of questioning and ridiculing Islam, discussing the Bible and defending Jews, judicial officials said Thursday on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.

Prosecutors acted after a complaint by students and al-Harbi's fellow teachers, officials said. The court in the northern province of al-Qassim heard the case Saturday in a six-hour trial.

Al-Harbi was in prison Thursday, but the Saudi newspaper Al-Madinah reported him as saying he would appeal the verdict.

"There are charges that the judge read which are unknown to me, such as defending Jews and the Bible, ridiculing Islam and witchcraft. It's strange that the judge ruled so quickly and wanted to end the case so fast," al-Harbi was quoted as saying.

His lawyer, Abdul Rahman al-Lahem, refused to talk to The Associated Press because of the sensitivity of the case, but he was quoted as telling Al-Madinah the judge refused his request to postpone the trial to allow time for a proper defense.

"The judge's refusal to read a statement by witnesses is a violation of the defendant's rights," al-Lahem was quoted as saying in Sunday's edition.

New York-based Human Rights Watch said al-Harbi had been "talking to his pupils about his views on a number of current topics, such as Christianity, Judaism and the causes of terrorism."

"The Saudi government is imprisoning schoolteachers for having open discussions with their students," said Sarah Leah Whitson, the group's Middle East director said in a statement Thursday. "As long as schoolteachers face persecution for doing their job, Saudi children will lose out."

Al-Harbi's sentence likely will be seen as a setback to Saudi moves to reform its education system. Following the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States, the government altered the school curriculum to remove passages from textbooks that were offensive to Christians and Jews in an attempt to encourage moderation and tolerance.

Fifteen of the 19 hijackers in those attacks were Saudis. Local intellectuals and newspaper columnists said the strict Islamic tenets followed in schools and mosques could have played a role in fostering Islamic militancy.

this ain't right. that's all I will say.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Saudi Teacher Sentenced to 750 Lashes
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 12:31:31 PM »
Liberate Saudi Arabia...?
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Sikotic™

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 01:23:31 PM »
I just hope he got some pain killers.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 02:14:06 PM »

A Muslim complimenting Jews and discussing the Christian bible in Saudi Arabia?

I am suprised he wasn't publically executed. He may have gotten off lucky.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 02:48:54 PM »

You should've been aborted.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

UAK

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 04:38:39 PM »

You should've been aborted.

Why not just kill his mom  :D

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 04:47:33 PM »

lol yeah no shit

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 04:48:26 PM »

Why not just kill his mom  :D

Too late... she already gave birth to this waste of human life... Pollacks usually die as a result of their stupidity...

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Kassem

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 05:51:42 PM »

Blaaaaa blaaaaaaaaa blaaaaaaaaa man shut the fuck up ,you never lived in saudi,so u don't know shit
United Arab States

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 05:57:20 PM »

Blaaaaa blaaaaaaaaa blaaaaaaaaa man shut the fuck up ,you never lived in saudi,so u don't know shit

I know that Saudi Arabia is the most racist, intolerant, bigoted country in the world. 

Muslim countries could learn alot about tolerance and diversity from Christian nations.

Kassem

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 06:13:33 PM »
thank you, la riots,paris riots show your piont exactly.
United Arab States

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 06:40:47 PM »

I know that Saudi Arabia is the most racist, intolerant, bigoted country in the world. 

Muslim countries could learn alot about tolerance and diversity from Christian nations.

You piece of shit, you can't support all your claims without being there and experiencing it for yourself. People in Arabia could be saying the same shit about America right now, and they would be dumbfucks just like you're useless ass. Your mother should've swallowed you.

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 06:51:06 PM »

You piece of shit, you can't support all your claims without being there and experiencing it for yourself. People in Arabia could be saying the same shit about America right now, and they would be dumbfucks just like you're useless ass. Your mother should've swallowed you.

You need to educate yourself you stupid motherfucker. In Saudi Arabia there is no freedom of religion. Wahhabi Islam is the only religion allowed. Christians, Hindus, or followers of any other religion are not allowed to practice their faith. IT IS ILLEGAL. Only Muslims can become citizens in saudi Arabia. Non Muslims aren't even allowed to ENTER the city of Mecca.

I can't believe Islamic bigots like Kaseem and Sephyr are defending the disgusting racism and bigotry in Saudi Arabia. And yet people on the board call me racist. Tht is like me defending apartheid in South Africa or something.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 06:53:50 PM by Real American »

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 06:53:44 PM »

You need to educate yourself you stupid motherfucker. In Saudi Arabia there is no freedom of religion. Wahhabi Islam is the only religion allowed. Christians, Hindus, or followers of any other religion are not allowed to practice their faith. IT IS ILLEGAL. Only Muslims can become citizens in saudi Arabia. Non Muslims aren't even allowed to ENTER the city of Mecca.

I can't believe Islamic bigots like Kaseem and Sephyr are defending the disgusting racism and bigotry in Saudi Arabia. And yet people on the board call me racist.

Blame the government not the people you bitch, and where was I talking about religion? I'm talking about your dumbass claim about the racism? You shouldn't be talking when you're the racist and everyone here knows it

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 06:55:41 PM »
Blame the government not the people you bitch, and where was I talking about religion? I'm talking about your dumbass claim about the racism? You shouldn't be talking when you're the racist and everyone here knows it

Why are Muslims so intolerant towards other religions? Why can't they just allow freedom to everyone the way us Christians do?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 07:00:26 PM by Real American »