Author Topic: African-Americans, women in Europe hit worst by AIDS: UN  (Read 235 times)

Kal EL

African-Americans, women in Europe hit worst by AIDS: UN
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:36:31 AM »
African-Americans, women in Europe hit worst by AIDS: UN

NEW DELHI (AFP) - Young African Americans led the number of new HIV/AIDS cases in the United States while the number of women infected via sex in Western Europe showed a sharp spike.

New cases rose 43,000 in the United States to top one million as prevention efforts lagged despite extensive programs to treat HIV, the virus that leads to fatal AIDS, according to the AIDS Epidemic Update 2005 published on Monday.

"African Americans accounted for 48 percent of new HIV cases in the (United States) in 2003. African American women are more than a dozen times as likely to be infected with HIV than their white counterparts.

"AIDS has become one of the top three causes of death for African American men aged 25-54 and for African American women aged 25-34," said the report released in New Delhi ahead of World AIDS day on December 1.

Across the Atlantic, Western Europe accounted for more than half a million infections in 2005, the report said.

"The number continues to grow amid signs in several countries of a resurgence of risky sexual behaviour. The biggest change in Western Europe has been the emergence of heterosexual contact as the dominant cause of new HIV infections in several countries.

The United States and Western Europe, with about 700 million people combined, have extensive prevention and treatment programs for AIDS, but cases continue to rise as unprotected sex between men remains common, the report said.

"In the United States, unprotected sex between men remains the dominant mode of transmission, accounting for 63 percent of newly-diagnosed HIV infections," the report said.

It said that treatment efforts had been successful in prolonging lives, although prevention efforts had not been sustained.

"This reflects the fact that people with HIV are living longer due to antiretroviral treatment, as well as the failure to adapt and sustain the prevention successes achieved during the epidemics first 10-15 years."

"On the whole, Western Europe and North America remain the only regions in the world where most people in need of antiretroviral treatment are able to receive it. In Western Europe, that trend has persisted," it added.

A quarter of people living with HIV in the United States were unaware they are infected, the report said adding "ignorance is very likely adding impetus to the epidemic," the report said.

In Britain, unsafe sex between men accounted for a quarter of new HIV diagnoses and "is an important factor in the epidemics in France and the Netherlands," the report said.

As well, the report said immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa are fuelling new cases in Europe.

"A large proportion of new diagnoses are in people originating from countries with serious epidemics, principally countries in sub-Saharan Africa," the report said, adding that more than 20,000 new HIV infections were reported in 2004.

© Copyright Agence France-Presse. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of Agence France-Presse.

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: African-Americans, women in Europe hit worst by AIDS: UN
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 02:21:26 PM »
Why is AIDS such a big issue? If you don't want it, don't sleep around. And if you do sleep around, use a condom. Why is that so difficult for people to grasp?

Why does the US have top spend billions of dollars around the world to teach people that?

Sikotic™

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 02:23:52 PM »
Why is AIDS such a big issue? If you don't want it, don't sleep around. And if you do sleep around, use a condom. Why is that so difficult for people to grasp?

Why does the US have top spend billions of dollars around the world to teach people that?

Can't argue with that. It's really not a difficult concept to grasp.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 02:52:42 PM »

Yes it's just that simple. You're a genius.

Fucking retard... get an education.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 03:15:45 PM »

Fucking retard... get an education.

Please explain to me what I am overlooking then.

J Bananas

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 08:50:13 PM »
Yeah its always the guys who dont get pussy who shrug it off, you can still get it using a condom. not like you'll be put in that situation anytime soon.

coola

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 02:13:42 AM »

because sex is not the same wearing a condom you idiot.

this really sucks though, i blame the bi-sexual faggots... they go out and fuck men un-protected, then they fuck our women... bi-sexuals are the worst, fucking scum of the earth.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 02:19:54 AM »
Wearing a condom or taking a risk.. it's your decision, don't bitch after you have it

That doesn't mean you can't never fuck without it.. when you have a girlfriend, both take an AIDS test and then it is all gravy.

But if you fuck random whores you met at a ghetto pub without protection because 'sex isnt the same wearing a condom', well then it's your risk.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 02:26:49 AM by 7even »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 01:37:25 PM »
Yet some states in the U.S put money into abstinence programs than sex ed. 

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 01:59:14 PM »

Because abstinence is the only 100% successful method of preventing AIDS.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 02:14:00 PM »

Because abstinence is the only 100% successful method of preventing AIDS.

Are you that fucking retarded? You think telling people that abstinence is the only way to 100% prevent it... will stop them? They're gonna do it regardless, so just make sure to teach them to do it right. The number of teenage pregnancies are highest in the redneck bible-thumper states.

Teaching abstinence only, and not sex ed. is like trying to ban alcohol.
Think about this... if the government was really concerned about the health of the citizens, why would there even exist a tobacco industry? Cigarettes do nothing but kill people... and make $$$ for the government in taxes. The whole abstinence thing is pushed by the Christian right who are the same people pushing for war.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 02:15:53 PM »
Sex Ed>Abistinence .  Simple as that. 

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 02:21:14 PM »
Insert anything here > Pollacks

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Suga Foot

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 02:25:57 PM »

yup, I think that's one of the biggest problems.  Condoms should be free.

J Bananas

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 03:17:16 PM »
abstinece....muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.     hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha