Author Topic: Red Sox set to acquire Josh Beckett  (Read 332 times)

$do11a biLL$

Red Sox set to acquire Josh Beckett
« on: November 22, 2005, 02:26:44 PM »
BOSTON (AP) -- Shopping for a premier pitcher, the Boston Red Sox put together a deal to acquire Florida ace Josh Beckett and didn't even need a general manager to do it.

The Red Sox and Marlins reached a preliminary agreement Monday night on a trade that would send Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell to Boston for three prospects.

Florida would get touted shortstop Hanley Ramirez and minor league pitchers Anibal Sanchez and Jesus Delgado in the deal, which was pending physicals, according to a baseball official who requested anonymity because the trade was yet to be finalized.

The Red Sox are still searching for a new GM after Theo Epstein's departure at the end of last month -- but that hasn't stopped them from doing business.

Beckett was the MVP of Florida's 2003 World Series win over the New York Yankees and went 15-8 with a 3.38 ERA last season, when he had problems with his shoulder and recurring blisters on his right middle finger.

A three-time All-Star, Lowell slumped to .236 with eight homers and 58 RBIs with the Marlins last season but won his first Gold Glove. He averaged 24 homers and 94 RBIs in each of the previous five years.

The Marlins called a news conference for Tuesday afternoon, but said the subject would be the team's pursuit of a new stadium, and general manager Larry Beinfest would not be available.

Red Sox president Larry Lucchino and assistant general manager Jed Hoyer declined to comment on a possible deal in e-mail responses to The Associated Press on Monday night. Hoyer remains in his position three weeks after Epstein's contract expired -- the former GM did not reach a new agreement with the team.

Coming off a third-place finish in the NL East, the Marlins apparently are looking to shed salary. Florida had an opening-day payroll of $60 million last season, while Boston began the year at $121 million.

The 25-year-old Beckett, eligible for salary arbitration, is expected to earn between $4 million and $5 million next year and can become a free agent after the 2007 season. Lowell, 31, is owed $9 million each of the next two seasons.

After winning the World Series in 2004, the Red Sox were swept by Chicago in the first round of the AL playoffs last month and want to improve their starting pitching this offseason.

Curt Schilling struggled all year following ankle surgery, Matt Clement had a poor second half and Bronson Arroyo was inconsistent. Tim Wakefield will return, but David Wells reportedly requested a trade after going 15-7 in the first season of a two-year contract.

Lowell could fill a vacancy at third, where the Red Sox are not expected to re-sign Bill Mueller. Kevin Youkilis, who had been the heir apparent to Mueller, could move to first because Boston is expected to let free agent Kevin Millar go.

Ramirez, considered the team's top prospect, hit .271 with six homers, 52 RBIs and 26 stolen bases at Double-A Portland last season before going 0-for-2 with the Red Sox during a September call-up.

Sanchez went 6-1 with a 2.40 ERA for Class-A Wilmington and 3-5 with a 3.45 ERA at Portland. Delgado was 7-3 with a 3.50 ERA at Class-A Greenville. Both are 21-year-old right-handers. Ramirez will turn 22 next month.

The Texas Rangers were interested in Beckett, but their pursuit ended Monday despite the team's apparent willingness to trade All-Star third baseman Hank Blalock and a top pitching prospect.

New Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said he received a call Monday afternoon from Marlins GM Larry Beinfest, who told him "the Marlins are going to go in another direction with their trade."

"The longer this went on, and the more time between when we indicated we'd meet what was ultimately their asking price, it was clear that other teams were involved," Daniels said.

While Daniels wouldn't be specific about what the Rangers offered, he didn't dispute several reports that he was prepared to give up Blalock along with John Danks or Thomas Diamond, both pitchers who were recent first-round picks.

As for the Red Sox and their GM search, they interviewed Jim Bowden for a second time on Monday but no decision was imminent.

Bowden, GM of the Washington Nationals and former GM for the Cincinnati Reds, met with Red Sox officials in Boston. The team also conducted a second interview last weekend with Jim Beattie, former Baltimore Orioles executive vice president.

The Red Sox said more interviews will be held, but no decision on Epstein's replacement is expected before Thanksgiving. Boston would like a new GM in place before baseball's winter meetings Dec. 5-8 in Dallas.

Boston also interviewed Dave Wilder on Saturday. He's been the director of player development the past two seasons for the Chicago White Sox, who won the World Series last month.

Wilder met with Red Sox part-owner Tom Werner and Lucchino, along with other members of the baseball operations staff.

FUCKING RIGHT! our dugout is unstoppable now

PLANT

Re: Red Sox set to acquire Josh Beckett
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 02:56:36 PM »
that sucks, I thought the Blue Jays were making a good offer to get him.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 03:00:32 PM »
that sucks, I thought the Blue Jays were making a good offer to get him.

You're thinking about Burnette

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 03:04:20 PM »
good pickup for the Sox but its not gonna mean a damn thing if manny and damon both leave Boston

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8

WestCoasta

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 05:26:32 PM »
whatever, Red Sox had their spotlight, it's not gonna make a difference and they aren't gonna go to the WS anyways

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 12:07:43 PM »
good pickup for the Sox but its not gonna mean a damn thing if manny and damon both leave Boston

Manny is definetly leaving but im not sure about Damon yet its still early in the offseason alot of stuff could happen.

WestCoasta

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 02:41:47 PM »
Manny Ramirez is a dick

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 11:56:23 PM »
i would be shocked to see Johnny Damon leave Boston....especially if he went to the YANKEES  :rock: :cheers:

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8

51 cent

• 'G'
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 02:24:51 PM »
I bet Damon goes.  He's a big prima donna and his manager is apparently a big dic*, and I don't think the Sox will pony up for him...  They got him for a deal b/c of his OBP and he developed and did well - now they're going to look for the next him and let him go all metro somewhere else.

Have not heard the buzz on Manny yet... 
"Aight, new drink..."

Macaframa

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 03:49:24 PM »
Manny Ramirez is a dick
couldnt have said it better myself

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 04:01:01 PM »
As long as we have Beckett, Schilling, and Arroyo pitching and Ortiz, Damon, Renteria gets good numbers again, and we get new good younger guys at bat, i'm not worried about making it to the playoffs again next year at least.