Author Topic: Corruption & The GOP - Another One Bites the Dust  (Read 137 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Corruption & The GOP - Another One Bites the Dust
« on: November 28, 2005, 02:01:23 PM »
Calif. Congressman Admits Taking Bribes

By ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press Writer 24 minutes ago

SAN DIEGO - Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, an eight-term congressman and hotshot Vietnam War fighter jock, pleaded guilty to graft and tearfully resigned Monday, admitting he took $2.4 million in bribes from defense contractors to steer business their way.

"The truth is I broke the law, concealed my conduct, and disgraced my office," the 63-year-old Republican said at a news conference. "I know that I will forfeit my freedom, my reputation, my worldly possessions, most importantly, the trust of my friends and family."
He could get up to 10 years in prison at sentencing Feb. 27 on federal charges of conspiracy to commit bribery and fraud, and tax evasion.

Investigators said Cunningham, a member of a House Appropriations subcommittee that controls defense dollars, secured contracts worth tens of millions of dollars for those who paid him off. Prosecutors did not identify the defense contractors.

Cunningham was charged in a case that grew out of an investigation into the sale of his home to a defense contractor at an inflated price.

The congressman had already announced in July — after the investigation became public — that he would not seek re-election next year. But until he entered his plea, he had insisted he had done nothing wrong.

Cunningham's plea came amid a series of GOP scandals: Rep. Tom DeLay of Texas had to step down as majority leader after he was indicted in a campaign finance case; a stock sale by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is being looked at by regulators; and Vice President
Dick Cheney's chief of staff was indicted in the CIA leak case.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/congressman_s_house;_ylt=Ak017sxtGRYQqvj1JxbOXSes0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Birch Barlow

Re: Corruption & The GOP - Another One Bites the Dust
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 09:39:09 PM »
Every politian does that shit, he just got caught. (Or confessed... You know what I mean)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 09:40:45 PM by Birch Barlow »

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:58:16 PM »
Every politian does that shit, he just got caught. (Or confessed... You know what I mean)

On a small scale sure... this guy accepted $2.5 million in bribes lol...

J Bananas

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 01:05:25 PM »
SAN DIEGO - Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, an eight-term congressman and hotshot Vietnam War fighter jock,

liberal journalists are still mad about high school it seems