Author Topic: House, Senate Agree to Extend Patriot Act  (Read 122 times)

Kal EL

House, Senate Agree to Extend Patriot Act
« on: December 08, 2005, 12:11:39 PM »
House, Senate Agree to Extend Patriot Act
By JESSE J. HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer

55 minutes ago

Yahoo News

WASHINGTON - House and Senate negotiators reached an agreement Thursday to extend the USA Patriot Act, the government's premier anti-terrorism law, before it expires at the end of the month. But a Democratic senator threatened a filibuster to block the compromise.

"I will do everything I can, including a filibuster, to stop this Patriot Act conference report, which does not include adequate safeguards to protect our constitutional freedoms," said Sen. Russ Feingold (news, bio, voting record), D-Wis., who was the only senator to vote against the original version of the Patriot Act.

Senate Judiciary Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., announced that the negotiating committee had reached an agreement that would extend for four years two of the Patriot Act's most controversial provisions — authorizing roving wiretaps and permitting secret warrants for books, records and other items from businesses, hospitals and organizations such as libraries. Those provisions would expire in four years unless Congress acted on them again.

"All factors considered it's reasonably good, not perfect, but it's acceptable," Specter said of the agreement.

Also to be extended for four years are standards for monitoring "lone wolf" terrorists who may be operating independent of a foreign agent or power. While not part of the Patriot Act, officials considered that along with the Patriot Act provisions.

The Republican-controlled House had been pushing for those provisions to stay in effect as long as a decade, but negotiators decided to go with the GOP-controlled Senate's suggestion.

Most of the Patriot Act would become permanent under the reauthorization.

The White House applauded the agreement.

"The Patriot Act is critical to winning the war on terrorism," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said. "The president urges both houses of Congress to act promptly to pass this critical piece of legislation."

Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada intends to vote against the measure as currently drafted, according to an aide.

Feingold and five other senators from both parties issued a statement that said, "We believe this conference report will not be able to get through the Senate." They said they wouldn't support it in any form.

The other senators are Republicans Larry Craig of Idaho, John Sununu of New Hampshire and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Democrats Dick Durbin of Illinois and Ken Salazar of Colorado.

Feingold issued a separate statement threatening a filibuster, a stalling technique designed to block the measure from coming to a final vote.

It takes 60 senators to overcome a filibuster in the 100-member Senate.

"I don't think there will be a filibuster," Specter said. "I don't think it will succeed if there is one."

Sen. John Cornyn (news, bio, voting record), R-Texas, said the deal should satisfy everyone. "This agreement both preserves the provisions that have made America safer since 9/11 and increases congressional and judicial oversight, which should alleviate the concerns of those who believe the law enforcement tools endanger civil liberties," he said.

But the     American Civil Liberties Union immediately denounced the deal, calling on lawmakers to reject the legislation because it intrudes too far into the privacy of innocent Americans.

"This sham compromise agreement fails to address the primary substantive concern raised by millions of Americans, as well as civil liberties, privacy and business organizations and lawmakers from both sides of the aisle and in both chambers," said Caroline Fredrickson, the ACLU's Washington legislative office director.

The ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Patrick Leahy of Vermont, has not yet decided whether to support the agreement, a spokesman said. But the GOP-majority negotiating committee has enough votes to send the House and Senate the compromise if all of the Republican negotiators agree to it.

The Senate is expected to vote on the compromise next week, Specter said. That would give them enough time to deal with any filibuster threats before the Patriot Act provisions expire on Dec. 31.

Congress overwhelmingly passed the Patriot Act after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The law expanded the government's surveillance and prosecutorial powers against suspected terrorists, their associates and financiers.

The compromise also makes changes to national security letters, an investigative tool used by the     FBI to compel businesses to turn over customer information without a court order or grand jury subpoena.

Under the agreement, the reauthorization specifies that an NSL can be reviewed by a court, and explicitly allows those who receive the letters to inform their lawyers about them.

___

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: House, Senate Agree to Extend Patriot Act
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 12:27:07 PM »
It's apparent from these psychotic laws, that they have one goal in mind and that is to provoke americans to a point at which they are witnessing their kids dragged off at gun point if necessary because they havent had their "good injections" or experience one of their family being locked up for "terrorist sympathising" and eventually they hope that militia will be formed. That americans do physically fight back and its at that point that god save us and im neither religious or american because thats when the new world order can really take hold.
As is depicted in the "fictional" shattered union game.

Thank god that some of the politicians are human, just wish there was more of them, most of them are revealing themselves as being monsters.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 12:30:25 PM by virtuoso »

Kal EL

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 12:35:53 PM »
It's apparent from these psychotic laws, that they have one goal in mind and that is to provoke americans to a point at which they are witnessing their kids dragged off at gun point if necessary because they havent had their "good injections" or experience one of their family being locked up for "terrorist sympathising" and eventually they hope that militia will be formed. That americans do physically fight back and its at that point that god save us and im neither religious or american because thats when the new world order can really take hold.
As is depicted in the "fictional" shattered union game.

Thank god that some of the politicians are human, just wish there was more of them, most of them are revealing themselves as being monsters.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
right. thats the ONE good thing coming from all this is that anyone wishing to see what's really going on can see it.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 01:54:58 PM »
I can't believe Americans can be arsed to agree and abide to this. If these acts were passed in my country no way I wouldn't sabotage and demonstrate against it, LET ALONE DEFEND IT... LOL.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Kal EL

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 02:46:10 PM »
I can't believe Americans can be arsed to agree and abide to this. If these acts were passed in my country no way I wouldn't sabotage and demonstrate against it, LET ALONE DEFEND IT... LOL.
in Rome in order to distract the people from the corruption and economic distress they made the Gladiator games even more bloodier than what they were...Entertainment. They also feed the bloodlust of the people with feeding Christians to animals. Here now in our time we have fake news. Jessica Simpson breaks up with Nick, Brittney and K-Fed, 50 cent Etc... distraction. Anybody that thinks that 911 doesn't make sense, the Iraq war etc... is demonically unpatriotic.

there people many, that are awake here.

infowars.com
prisonplanet.com
whatreallyhappened.com

but in order to get global gov't Americans must be decieved into giving up freedoms hence our present problem.