Author Topic: M Dogg's Ol' Skool MC of the week  (Read 140 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
M Dogg's Ol' Skool MC of the week
« on: December 09, 2005, 01:27:29 PM »
I saw Trauma doing something, so I figured I'd hit up something. Basically each week I'll be dropping a great old school MC for people to read about and such.

With Eddie Guerrero's passing, I felt I should cover someone who was like him, only in Hip-Hop terms.

Kid Frost

Well he still puts out records today, lets face it, there was nothing like Frost in his prime. Big Pun was the first Latino to go platnum, but it was in 1991 that Mellow Man Ace and Kid Frost openned the doors of westcoast Hip-Hop to include Latinos. Frost was first heard in the mainstream in 1990 when Tony Gonzolez of KDAY helped him make his first break out single, "La Raza". Frost though was known before that. He got his name from Ice T, who both would perform staged battles before crowds in LA before either broke out to the mainstream in 1985. It was his lay off from shortly after 1985 to 1990 that helped him greatly. La Raza was the first single from a Latino artist to go gold, setting the steps that Big Pun would use to release a platnum album.

After releasing La Raza, Frost style began to change, which started sound like a Latin/electic/Hip-Hop fusion, to more a G-Funk/Gangsta Rap base style. This would be key, as other westcoast Latin acts would follow, and the change was complete when Frost released his 3rd album as a newly signed Ruthless artist. Headlining many Super Lowrider shows in the LA Colisum, Frost basically was the center of the huge Latino Hip-Hop world in the early 90's that was dominating the LA next to Death Row records. Producing and penning tracks for artist such as JV (a female Latina) and Slow Pain, well also fueding with groups like Cypress Hill and Lighter Shade of Brown, the Hip-Hop's Latin side was centered around one man.

As time went on, and gangsta rap would fade from the mainstream, Frost would slowly go into the underground. Helping out newer artist such as Baby Beesh (now Baby Bash) Frost's influence in the Latin Hip-Hop world could be heard. With artist such as Lil' Rob starting to gain national attention, Frost could be heard in each low riding lyric. With Latinos growing in numbers, we are seeing Frost's influence with each Latino now going national. It took many years between La Raza, to Still Not a Playa, to Suga Suga and Summer Nights, but if it wasn't for Frost to begin with, Pun would be gold and Lil' Rob and Baby Bash would be struggling to find there way in the Hip-Hop world.

We Fly High

Re: M Dogg's Ol' Skool MC of the week
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 02:40:25 PM »
haha i remember reading some article about frost. this was an article back from 1988 or some shit. but he said that on the streets, he would step to any rapper, like his credibility was that good, EXCEPT for boo yaa tribe. hahaha.

TuKer Says: Angeles Records is the truth!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 03:07:24 PM »
nice post, keep em coming

J Bananas

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 03:09:11 PM »
i always slept on this dude but im a check some stuff out now, thanks

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 05:02:40 PM »
B-Real and Sen Dog were the first Latinos to go platinum not Pun.

"La Raza" is one of my favorite tracks of all time even though I ain't Chicano/Mexican. Frost's first two albums were dope. Eastside Story was his best effort.

hempside

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 05:54:18 AM »
Yeah frost  comes correct myane.aint he sen doggs brotha.
heyheyhey smoke weed everyday.

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 05:40:03 PM »
B-Real and Sen Dog were the first Latinos to go platinum not Pun.
Cypress Hill were the first latino rap group to go platinum

Big Pun was the first solo latino rap artist to go platinum