Author Topic: Say hello to the new Heisman Trophy winner  (Read 294 times)

$do11a biLL$

Say hello to the new Heisman Trophy winner
« on: December 10, 2005, 06:00:43 PM »
Bush runs off with Heisman Trophy

By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP Sports Writer
December 10, 2005
NEW YORK (AP) -- Reggie Bush left the competition behind -- as usual.

Southern California's incomparable tailback won the Heisman Trophy as college football's best player Saturday night over Texas quarterback Vince Young and USC quarterback Matt Leinart, last year's winner.

Flashing uncanny acceleration and ability to change direction, Bush has conjured up memories of Gale Sayers, drawn comparisons to Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders and Tony Dorsett, and is the favorite to be the No. 1 pick in April's NFL draft.

Bush and Leinart will be the first Heisman winners to play in a college game together when USC goes for a third straight national title against Texas in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 4.

This year's Heisman race appeared tight for much of the season, with Bush making a big statement in mid-October against Notre Dame. He ran for 160 yards and three touchdowns in South Bend, Ind., and provided the final push Leinart needed to score the winning TD in the closing seconds of a classic 34-31 victory.

But Bush was relatively quiet right after the Notre Dame game and Young seemed to have pulled ahead, with talk that two candidates from USC would cancel each other out.

That was until the night of Nov. 19, when Bush left Fresno State repeatedly grasping at air and onlookers grasping for superlatives to describe a performance that had to be seen to be truly appreciated.

He ran for 295 yards, racked up 513 all-purpose yards -- the second-highest total in NCAA history -- and USC escaped with a 50-42 victory.

If there was still any doubt Bush was best, he dispelled it against UCLA, running for 260 yards and two touchdowns in a 66-19 victory. Only the lopsided score kept Bush from doing even more damage.

As the Trojans completed another perfect regular season, it seemed a foregone conclusion that Bush would become the fifth USC tailback to win the Heisman, following Mike Garrett, O.J. Simpson, Charles White and Marcus Allen.

The 200-pounder from Spring Valley, Calif., just outside of San Diego, ran for 1,658 yards this season, a dizzying average of 8.9 yards per carry, while leading the nation in all-purpose yards with 217.9 per game.

USC now has produced seven Heisman winners, matching the record held by Notre Dame, and an unprecedented three in four years, starting with quarterback Carson Palmer in 2002.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Re: Say hello to the new Heisman Trophy winner
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 06:04:11 PM »
Congrats to him. He deserves it. 8)

Sofa_King_Awesome

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Five poppin' Six droppin'
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 06:27:56 PM »
are you people that dumb and slow...lol...
Tuff one...but quik is up there...put it on me is classic imo and on some detox shit...dj lethal>>dj quik....rza>>premo.....dre>>>quik....rza=dre....dre, rza, quik, dj lethal>>>>>timberland, rockwielder, EIMINEM, mannie fresh

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 06:56:15 PM »
Well it was more or less a no brainer. I just want to see how well he does on whatever shit team picks him up in the NFL when he doesn't have the offensive line of USC or the superstar passing game. If he does great under those cirumstances then he's undeniable. If he goes this year it looks like it'll be Houston or Green Bay that grabs him. Neither really need a QB unless Favre announces retirment, so a strong half back would make for a great improvement.

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 07:46:05 PM »
Well it was more or less a no brainer. I just want to see how well he does on whatever shit team picks him up in the NFL when he doesn't have the offensive line of USC or the superstar passing game. If he does great under those cirumstances then he's undeniable. If he goes this year it looks like it'll be Houston or Green Bay that grabs him. Neither really need a QB unless Favre announces retirment, so a strong half back would make for a great improvement.
^^^^Well Sed.

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 01:17:05 AM »
Whoop! San Diego has now produced the most Heisman Trophy winners of any major city in the US  ;)

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 10:40:19 AM »

BUsh in Green and Gold baby!
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 10:55:36 AM »
Does anyone know who the runner up was?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 11:23:56 AM »
Does anyone know who the runner up was?

Vince Young

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 03:15:15 PM »
if he goes to houston he might find it a bit tough becuz thier O-line is straight up pathetic. hopefully houston can then trade DD for someone to compliment Bush but for some reason i just think that houston will pick a qb cuz Carr is worst than DD IMO.