Author Topic: Goldie Loc and Tray Dee arnt shit without Snoop, has Goldie retired?  (Read 845 times)

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
Re: Goldie Loc and Tray Dee arnt shit without Snoop, has Goldie retired?
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2005, 06:49:40 AM »
What's the name of the track with Twista on Rassassination? Ras was struggling to keep up with the beat.

"all or nuthin'"
that was a bad idea for ras.  it was a gimmick (for him) that failed.  not his normal flow.  listen to him on "grindin'" or "ooh wee!"...  ras will switch up the rhyme schemes and the speed and give you more variation within a verse.  tray deee's flow is always the same.  tray deee verses all sounds the same, or very similar.  i agree with r-tistic on this point.

If you listen to his rhyme schemes, he started using the multis before it became trendy

on the west, i'd say the alkaholiks were using multi's way before tray deee, if you're talking about rhyming in triplets and quatrains.  if you're talking about rhyming multiple words, i'd say kam beat him to the punch there as well.

without question tray deee's flow is tight, and precise.  but tray deee lacks the variation of other lyricists, like ras kass, and it makes his flow seem too formulaic.  you hear one tray deee line, you can pretty much predict the structure of the next line.

When it comes to switching speeds, I think Crooked is one of the best at that, or for someone outside the west, Big Boi.

i agree with you about crooked i.   crook flows better than ras.
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

Paul

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2005, 08:31:03 AM »
Goldie Loc is great too. Him and Tray Dee are the greatest DUO next to Kurupt N Daz. FREE TRAY DEE!!

Tray Deee has got some good verses, but The General's List might have done better with a different album cover:

lol its not exactly gangsta
funkyfreshintheflesh

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2005, 09:38:43 AM »
Tray Deee has been Top 3 on the Coast since 97....
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

westkoastanostra

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2005, 12:07:48 PM »
Tray Dee is coo but nothin like Ras, Sly, or Crooked. His flow is solid, but he does have the EXACT same flow on every single track, and all his hooks sound nearly identical. He doesn't talk about much outside of gangbangin and thug shit in general.

Goldie Locc is dope when he is...his flow and delivery were always better than Tray Dee's in my opinion...he got a lot more energy and his voice stands out more. Lyrically he was never as good as Tray, but overall Tray wasn't light years ahead of Goldie like people tend to say. Goldie delivers shit to where it hits you, regardless of what he is talkin about.

i agree 100%

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2005, 05:06:39 PM »
WTF is going on??? Tray Dee a top ten west coast lyricist? Tray Dee on the same level as ras kass, crooked i, and sly boogy? :o

I need to start searching for tray dee tracks-immediately.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2005, 05:15:11 PM »
Goldies raps were okey back in 2002 but his last 2 underground albums were str8 poor.
He retired?

Theres no chance he will release a solo album and it do well

obviously, goldie loc is ass without snoop, and now tray deeis locked up till he 50 or something

they're done
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2005, 05:23:10 AM »
WTF is going on??? Tray Dee a top ten west coast lyricist? Tray Dee on the same level as ras kass, crooked i, and sly boogy? :o

I need to start searching for tray dee tracks-immediately.

Dont believe them.Most of them like him because hes a triple OG or whatever.

Eihtball

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2005, 06:41:18 AM »

He's still pretty good.  He can't fuck with Ras Kass or even Crooked I, but he does have a smooth, laconic flow reminiscent of Snoop himself (albeit with a deeper voice).  I dunno about his solo album (I never bothered with it), but he was excellent on Tha Eastsidaz' albums.

Also, isn't Goldie Loc also an OG?  I've been under the impression he was the one who put Snoop on Rollin' 20 hood, not the other way around.  Yet you still see these cats calling him wack.

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2005, 07:09:26 AM »

i don't think anyone on this thread is calling tray deee wack.  tray deee is dope.  he does have a tight flow.  i think what's at issue is tray deee being annointed top 3 or top 5.  i don't think tray deee is better than ras, crook, tash or j-ro, yuk, rage...etc.  and personally i still keep knocc out & dresta high on my private list, but i'm waiting for new material before i return them to the public list.  tray deee is probably top 10 definitely top 15, but i don't see him as top 3 or 5.  top 15 is in no way a diss.  there are hundreds of mc's on the west coast.  top 15 is still excellent. 

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2005, 07:49:23 AM »
Tray Deee has never dropped a verse less than great. Ive never heard him off beat. Hes always tight with the lyrics.

Hes been rippin it since 94
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Paul

funkyfreshintheflesh

Eihtball

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2005, 10:16:33 AM »
goldie is hard so is tre-d
that's real nigga music
those who diss them aint real
they bangin in the streets and get much props
no one in the hood knocc's them to hella mc's
i be in the streets really!!!

Yeah...and he's doing 12 years right now, so he ain't gonna be making any more "real nigga music" until he's 50 years old, when nobody's gonna wanna hear some old grandfather rapping bout how "gangsta" he is.  "Dopeness" and "realness" ain't the same thing, so don't get it twisted, homie - if "realness" equaled "dopeness", 50 would be the best rapper alive.

And you're from Pomona, right?  A lot of Pomona muthafuckas I've seen hate on just about anything coming out of Dre or Snoop's camps because they still think Dre and Snoop stole credit for inventing G-Funk from Hutch and Above The Law.  They think ATL should've got the props and record sales that Dre and Snoop got.  Do a lot of them hate on Tray Deee and Goldie Loc for being associated with Snoop?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:20:07 AM by Eihtball »

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2005, 10:52:34 AM »
they still think Dre and Snoop stole credit for inventing G-Funk from Hutch and Above The Law.  They think ATL should've got the props and record sales that Dre and Snoop got.

dre clearly stole g-funk from atl.  atl did it first.  atl had that dre day beat first.  dre just had a cleaner more polished sound.  he did it better.  "the chronic" is way cleaner sounding than "black mafia life"; and dre had better mc's whith snoop and the dpg than atl did

and really, the east coast had g-funk before atl or dre.  especially the flavor unit, particularly monie love and naughty by nature. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:56:51 AM by nibs »

Eihtball

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2005, 12:43:19 PM »
dre clearly stole g-funk from atl.  atl did it first.  atl had that dre day beat first.  dre just had a cleaner more polished sound.  he did it better.  "the chronic" is way cleaner sounding than "black mafia life"; and dre had better mc's whith snoop and the dpg than atl did

Well, I'm inclined to think that's possible, but there's one significant problem: Not only did "Black Mafia Life" (which ATL claims is the REAL first G-Funk ablum) come out several months AFTER "The Chronic", but Dre and Snoop released "Deep Cover" back in April of '92, almost a full year before "BML", and that's the first song where Dre debuted the G-Funk style (unless you count "Alwayz Into Something" from N.W.A's "Niggaz4Life" album, which has those same portamento keyboard leads).  ATL's argument basically rests on the notion that Dre managed to get out a G-Funk single AND album before they released "BML".  Unless ATL can prove that the entire "BML" album was finished BEFORE Dre even left Ruthless Records, their argument holds no water.  I once asked Damon X (one of West World Records' PR employees) if he could prove this - and he couldn't, though he insisted Hutch could.

and really, the east coast had g-funk before atl or dre.  especially the flavor unit, particularly monie love and naughty by nature. 

Why, because they used Clinton and Parliament samples first?  Sampling old P-Funk records by itself does not G-Funk make.  G-Funk means you take the old P-Funk samples, dirty them up, bring out the melodies with either flutes or long chords from the upper registers of the keyboard, and then add the hard drums.  So basically, it's the combination of gangsta ruggedness and P-Funk samples that constitutes what we call "G-Funk" now.  That is what Dre and Hutch pioneered.

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2005, 02:01:37 PM »
Well, I'm inclined to think that's possible, but there's one significant problem: Not only did "Black Mafia Life" (which ATL claims is the REAL first G-Funk ablum) come out several months AFTER "The Chronic", but Dre and Snoop released "Deep Cover" back in April of '92, almost a full year before "BML"

i'd argue that cold 187um had g-funk albums out in '91.

listen to:
kokane - inner city hoodlum - addictive hiphop muzick (1991)

above the law - play your game - vocally pimpin' [ep] (1991)

kokane's album is full of g-funk and g-funk precursor tracks.

also, i would argue that atleast half of the chronic including "deep cover" is simply an extension and natural development of the n.w.a. sound. 

i think hutch was specifically talking about the sound on "dre day", "let me ride", "deez nuts", "g-thang"... etc literally about 5 or 6 songs and not the whole album. 

atl had a kamurshol for "black mafia life" on the "vocally pimpin'" ep which was released in '91, so it's clear they were working on it then; atl had already dropped g-funk tracks by then,  and this is 91...

Why, because they used Clinton and Parliament samples first?  Sampling old P-Funk records by itself does not G-Funk make.  G-Funk means you take the old P-Funk samples, dirty them up, bring out the melodies with either flutes or long chords from the upper registers of the keyboard, and then add the hard drums.  So basically, it's the combination of gangsta ruggedness and P-Funk samples that constitutes what we call "G-Funk" now.  That is what Dre and Hutch pioneered.

this is what i'm calling g-funk, i'm not a musician, but i think it meets your criteria:
monie love - work it out - boyz n tha hood soundtrack (1991)
that is on a west coast soundtrack no less.  there's about a 30 second intro sequence before the song really starts...

naughty by nature - rhyme'll shine on - naughty by nature (1991)