Author Topic: Some fear Los Angeles could see a repeat of 1992 riots if Tookie is executed  (Read 448 times)

K A I N

Free Xbox 360  :D AYYEEEEE!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/10/tookie.clemency/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Community leaders Friday called for peace in the city if convicted killer and Crips gang co-founder Stanley Tookie Williams is put to death next week as scheduled.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger heard arguments Thursday from Williams' lawyers seeking to spare his life but hasn't said if he will grant clemency to the death row inmate condemned for the 1979 killing of four people.

Although Schwarzenegger had said he expects to announce his decision "soon," he later added that would not happen Saturday.

Schwarzenegger has until late Monday to reach his decision; his office has indicated the governor will likely make it before Monday.

Williams' supporters, from political leaders to the rapper Snoop Dogg, say Williams has turned his life around and become a positive influence in fighting gang violence through his writing. To execute him now, they say, would take away one of the most effective voices urging young people to steer clear of gangs.

Williams, 51, is scheduled to die at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday by lethal injection at San Quentin State Prison.

On Friday, four City Council members urged religious leaders to open their churches to those upset by the case.

Though community opinions about Williams vary, even a small group could provoke widespread civil unrest, said Councilman Bernard Parks, a former police chief. Parks alluded to the 1992 Los Angeles riots that followed the acquittal of white police officers in the beating of black motorist Rodney King.

"All you need is a few to disrupt the entire city," Parks said.

Robin Toma, executive director of the county's Commission on Human Relations, worried that schools could be targeted, though he would not say why.

Despite the concerns, Los Angeles police have received no credible threats of possible violence related to the Williams' case, according to Lt. Paul Vernon. He said police have no plans to deploy more officers.

"We don't want to unduly concern the community over unconfirmed rumors," he said.

If the governor grants clemency, Williams' death sentence would be commuted to life without parole.

K A I N

lol this photos still makes me laugh

;D

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
i dont really care i think he shood die just for the soul reason for killin 4 people i mean if this was anyone else no one wood give a shit

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
That would be fuckign stupid. 

jpm

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
i dont really care i think he shood die just for the soul reason for killin 4 people i mean if this was anyone else no one wood give a shit

and you always wavin a gun in your avatar pic .....
www.ReallyHipHop.com for all the latest hip-hop media available!

jpm

• Muthafuckin' Double OG

;D

whats funny in it? dude c-walkin after he killed that other dude or what

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Actualyl people have given a shit when someone in CAlifornia is about to get executed.  Many ppeople have been sentenced to Death here in the state of California, but the state hardly executes inmates. 

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!

if u think about it i havent kill anyone he has

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
Thank You, ur a genius man, a fucking genius. Couldnt have sed it better myself.

jpm

• Muthafuckin' Double OG

yeayea i know .. but think about it too, if you have that gun just to protect yourself, why show it in your avatar with a killer face...?? thats called promoting violence

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!

yeayea i know .. but think about it too, if you have that gun just to protect yourself, why show it in your avatar with a killer face...?? thats called promoting violence

i didnt have a killer face i just wasnt smilin plus i like guns thats y i take pix wit them im more of a gun colletor then a kill the only time i fire a gun is wen im at the range

K A I N

;D

lol

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!

;D

lol
lol it is funny tho

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!

;D

lol

K A I N

lmao ;D

On April 29, 1992, at 5:39 PM, Denny loaded his red eighteen-wheel truck with twenty-seven tons of sand and drove to a plant in Inglewood where the sand was due. He left the Santa Monica Freeway and took a familiar shortcut across Florence Avenue to get to his destination. At 6:46 PM, after entering the intersection at Normandie, rocks were thrown at his windows and he heard people shouting at him to stop. Overhead, a news helicopter piloted by reporter Bob Tur captured the events that followed.

A man named Antoine Miller (b. 1973 - d. February 8, 2004) opened the truck door, giving others the chance to pull him out. Another man named Henry Keith Watson (b. 1965) then held Denny's head down with his foot. Denny was kicked in the stomach. A man who had led a liquor store break-in earlier that day hurled a five-pound piece of medical equipment at Denny's head and hit him three times with a claw hammer. A man named Damian Monroe Williams (b. March 17, 1973) then threw a slab of concrete (mistaken for a "brick") at Denny's head and knocked him unconscious. Williams then did a victory dance over Denny. He then flashed a gang sign at news helicopters above (all this was taped and shown live as it happened) and pointed at Denny. A man named Anthony Brown then spit on Denny and left with Williams.

After the beating had ended various black men threw beer bottles at the unconscious Denny. Gary Williams (b. 1959), a drug addict who frequented the area, approached Denny and rifled through his pockets. Lance Parker, a process server for a law firm, stopped near the body and attempted to shoot the gas tank of Denny's truck but missed.

A number of local black residents, watching the events on TV, came to Denny's aid: Two men, Bobby Green and Titus Murphy, and two women, Terri Barnett and Lei Yuille. Bobby Green (b. 1967) was a trucker with a license that allowed him to drive Denny's truck. They loaded Denny into the truck and Green drove him to hospital. Upon arrival at hospital Denny suffered a seizure.

Paramedics who attended to Denny said he came very close to death. His skull was fractured in ninety-one places and pushed into the brain. His left eye was so badly dislocated that it would have fallen into his sinus cavity had not the surgeons replaced the crushed bone with a piece of plastic. A permanent crater remains in his head despite efforts to correct it.