Author Topic: A quote from Immortal Technique that's really inspiring  (Read 357 times)

Eihtball

A quote from Immortal Technique that's really inspiring
« on: December 11, 2005, 11:06:07 AM »
I just thought I'd post this.  It appears in the liner notes for his "Revolutionary, Vol. 2" album, and it sums up how I feel about "realness" in this game:

"Delving into all my past research I have found such a sorrow in the outcome of our once great civilization, to be overshadowed and assimilated by such a lack of culture and spirituality in the form of an economic aristocracy. But while we can never change the past, we can make the future and provide a direction back to our roots. This is about leaving things behind and beginning again. It's about becoming the person you are and not needing anyone's approval to do so. I went to prison for a year, I used to rob niggaz, and do all types of insane things as a kid, but none of that made me a "real nigga". When I came home after all that and supported my family, when I went back to college, when I argued with my woman and never raised my hand to her...that made me a "real nigga". And the craziest part is that one day you'll spend so much time doing things like that, changing your destiny and being a "real nigga", that one day you'll look back and you'll realize that you ain't even a nigga no more, and you never were in the first place. Leave the past, my people."

Sikotic™

Re: A quote from Immortal Technique that's really inspiring
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 11:55:10 AM »
I like that quote. Props for the inspiration.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

J Bananas

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 12:53:24 PM »
nice

Jip

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 01:15:57 PM »
i blame the parents if someone doesn't already know that stuff

J Bananas

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 01:18:49 PM »
you're gonna have to find a lot more to blame than that cuz thats most kids

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 01:29:59 PM »
I thought he was latino.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 01:46:56 PM »
Just like many south american countries, there is a lot of black people in Peru. 

Eihtball

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 02:10:05 PM »
Just like many south american countries, there is a lot of black people in Peru. 

I think he's part Latino/park black.  That's certainly the impression I've had whenever I've seen pics of him.

Even so, Latinos in hip-hop call themselves "niggaz" too - like B-Real, Fat Joe, Big Pun, etc.

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 02:14:57 PM »

I think he's part Latino/park black.  That's certainly the impression I've had whenever I've seen pics of him.

Even so, Latinos in hip-hop call themselves "niggaz" too - like B-Real, Fat Joe, Big Pun, etc.
He was born in Peru and moved to America when he was a kid.

Eihtball

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 03:06:11 PM »
He was born in Peru and moved to America when he was a kid.

Yeah, because of the Sendero Luminoso civil war that began in 1980.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 03:07:55 PM by Eihtball »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 03:55:39 PM »

Yeah but not a lot of whites called them "niggers". I know a ton of people from Trinidad and the west Indian's and blacks are considered very separate, even though there was probably a lot of mixing over the hundreds of years. I'm Greek and many afro centrics and anthroplogists claim that there was a mixing of sort thousands of years ago. Could I rightfully refer to myself as a "nigger" or nigga". Most blacks say no. Of course most blacks I know don't think non-black latinos should either.

Eihtball

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 04:34:38 PM »
Man, the word "nigga" doesn't need to be used, period, by anyone - black, Latino, whatever.  But for whatever reason, in hip-hop culture, Latinos seem to get away with using it.  And so do mulatto rappers (like Bizzy Bone), and Samoans (like the Boo-Yaa TRIBE).  Not that I approve of it, but that just seems to be the case.

Although in B-Real's case, it kind makes sense because he was a member of a predominantly black street gang for many years, so I guess that's where he picked up on it - the Damus he used to run with were probably OK with him using it around them.  But Fat Joe and Big Pun were both Nortenos, so I dunno who the hell would've told them it's OK to use that word as regularly as they do.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 04:43:21 PM by Eihtball »

Sikotic™

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 04:39:03 PM »
Look, you wanna use the word nigga, go ahead. Just remember that when you say it you may get a reaction just liek with many other words. Why is it such an issue?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 04:39:54 PM »
Thanks to the fucking debate on the word nigga it has ruined a good quote.  Just let it be.

Eihtball

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 04:42:10 PM »
Thanks to the fucking debate on the word nigga it has ruined a good quote.  Just let it be.

A good quote is a good quote, regardless of whether it contains a word or two that I don't like for personal reasons.  Just like dope lyrics in rap are still dope lyrics even if they are offensive or profane.