Author Topic: A quote from Immortal Technique that's really inspiring  (Read 358 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: A quote from Immortal Technique that's really inspiring
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 04:45:03 PM »
Thanks to the fucking debate on the word nigga it has ruined a good quote.  Just let it be.

I thought it had a fine meaning. I just realize the backlash that would have started if Justin Timberlake for example said the exact same thing. Although it would be pretty funny watching Mr N'synch on TV reciting that quote.

Sikotic™

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 04:52:22 PM »
Why would Justin Timberlake say nigga? Immortal Technique is a rapper that grew up around blacks. Interacting with people in his area, he added that word to his vocabulary. Lots of latinos that live around black people, like Fat Joe, B-Real, etc. also came up the same way. Justin Timberlake didn't grow up in the hood. If he tried to use the word seriously in his everyday vocab, it wouldn't be authentic, thus making it offensive. It's not hard to comprehend.

I would like to say again that the quote from Immortal Technique was a very good one.

My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 05:46:16 PM »
But we are judging the quote. Is the quote any less true because it came from a white rich kid or a poor black man, if the quote is the exact same?

I know a guy who greatly respected Little Richard's musical talent, but when he found it the guy used to be gay he nows says Little Richard has no talent.

Now authority should have merit on predictions, like if a stock broker says this stock will go up it should mean more to you than if Kanye said it (before the stock goes up or down). But if Kanye gave his opinion on suburban white teen suicide and the quote alone makes sense then it should matter who said it.

P.S. You can use Eminem or Mark Wahlberg instead of Timberlake and you'd still get a backlash.

Sikotic™

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 06:05:39 PM »
Why does it matter who it came from? Every group goes through what IT is talking about, it's just from his perspective and experience. It's not even an issue who said it. If nigga makes you uncomfortable, replace it with whatever word you feel like. Regardless, it's uplifting.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 06:21:22 PM »
Why does it matter who it came from? Every group goes through what IT is talking about, it's just from his perspective and experience. It's not even an issue who said it. If nigga makes you uncomfortable, replace it with whatever word you feel like. Regardless, it's uplifting.

I'm not offended by the word. My only point is that if it were white saying it, even a white guy from the black streets, it wouldn't be taken seriously.

I'm not trying to say the quote is bad, but I don't think it would work with out the word "nigger". I think it's a great quote to get young black men to stop using the word.

What word could you replace it with and have retain the same meaning? (that's not a rhetorical question, I'm curious to hear what you think).

Sikotic™

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 06:29:52 PM »
Ok, I see what you're saying then. I guess you've got a point then. Of course if a white guy calls himself a "real nigga", it would be looked upon as a joke. I guess the quote was directed towards black and latinos since it doesn't seem IT has much love for white people in his songs. The quote could reach out to a broader audience if he used a different choice of words. I cant even think of a word to replace it at the moment.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Eihtball

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 06:43:51 PM »
I think it's a great quote to get young black men to stop using the word.

Of course, the irony is that Immortal Technique does use the word "nigga" in his songs.  Though I do think his quote illustrates why young brothers need to think of themselves as more than just "niggaz", and recognize that being a "real nigga" isn't about how hard you are in the streets.

etiquette

• Lil Geezy
  • The woman with the tattooed hands
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2005, 07:38:56 PM »
make you choke by surprise, like an aborted fetus in a jar that opened its eyes...

more inspirational
Remember that sometimes heads nod to hip hop simply because it's good music.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, Change the facts" .Albert Einstein

J Bananas

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2005, 01:32:05 AM »
Don't make me slap you again.

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 09:30:26 AM »
some real shit immortals speakin bout there.