Author Topic: Iran bans Western music  (Read 616 times)

J Bananas

Iran bans Western music
« on: December 19, 2005, 04:37:45 PM »
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- Hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who is a filthy camel jockey, has banned Western music from Iran's radio and TV stations, reviving one of the harshest cultural decrees from the early days of the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Songs such as George Michael's "Careless Whisper," Eric Clapton's "Rush" and the Eagles' "Hotel California" have regularly accompanied Iranian broadcasts, as do tunes by saxophonist Kenny G.

But the official IRAN Persian daily reported Monday that Ahmadinejad, as head of Iran's Supreme Cultural Revolutionary Council, ordered the enactment of an October ruling by the council to ban Western music.

"Blocking indecent and Western music from the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting is required," according to a statement on the council's official Web site.

Ahmadinejad's order means broadcasters must execute the decree and prepare a report on its implementation within six months, according to the newspaper.

"This is terrible," said Iranian guitarist Babak Riahipour, whose music was played occasionally on state radio and TV. "The decision shows a lack of knowledge and experience."

Music was outlawed as un-Islamic by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini soon after the revolution. But as the fervor of the revolution started to fade, light classical music was allowed on radio and television. Some public concerts reappeared in the late 1980s.

Western music, films and clothing are widely available in Iran, and hip-hop can be heard on Tehran's streets, blaring from car speakers or from music shops. Bootleg videos and DVDs of films banned by the state are widely available on the black market.

After eight years of reformist-led rule in Iran, Ahmadinejad won office in August on a platform of reverting to ultraconservative principles promoted by the revolution.

Since then, Ahmadinejad has jettisoned Iran's moderation in foreign policy and pursued a purge in the government, replacing pragmatic veterans with former military commanders and inexperienced religious hard-liners.

He also has issued stinging criticisms of Israel, called for the Jewish state to be "wiped off the map" and described the Nazi Holocaust as a "myth." (Full story)

International concerns are high over Iran's nuclear program, with the United States accusing Tehran of pursuing an atomic weapons program. Iran denies the claims.

During his presidential campaign, Ahmadinejad also promised to confront what he called the Western cultural invasion and promote Islamic values.

The latest media ban also includes censorship of content of films.

"Supervision of content from films, TV series and their voice-overs is emphasized in order to support spiritual cinema and to eliminate triteness and violence," the council said in a statement on its Web site explaining its October ruling.

The council has also issued a ban on foreign movies that promote "arrogant powers," an apparent reference to the United States. This once again reaffirms that arabs are the most uptight ethnicity of the world, and are inherintly fucking crazy.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Iran bans Western music
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 05:26:51 PM »
TEHRAN, Iran 

This once again reaffirms that arabs are the most uptight ethnicity of the world, and are inherintly fucking crazy.

This once again confirms that Americans are the most ignorant motherfuckers alive.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

J Bananas

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 05:39:30 PM »
^^^
hey man, atleast I can enjoy a Dj Quik album without having my hands chopped off, and I'm sooo sorry I confused Iranians witha arabs, how could i have ever made that mistake?

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 06:45:30 PM »
Western music has been blowing chunks lately so I can't blame them. At least they don't have to hear "Laffy Taffy" everywhere they go.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 07:47:53 PM »
^^^
hey man, atleast I can enjoy a Dj Quik album without having my hands chopped off, and I'm sooo sorry I confused Iranians witha arabs, how could i have ever made that mistake?

It's one to thing to see an Iranian and confuse him for an Arab... but when you don't know that Iranians aren't Arabs, then you're just ignorant.

It's like someone telling you that they're from France, and you thinking he's Scandinavian.

I wasn't even trying to diss you... it's not like you're any dumber than the average American... just compare yourself to CWalker and IGeezy... you're not that dumb.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 07:52:26 PM by JML - no vowels, disembowel your Colin Powell, throw in the towel »
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Kassem

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 11:45:07 PM »
well iranis have different moral values,u might like watching your sisters getting analy fucked and suck dick,well arabs and muslims don't.well wat the fuck do u care about iran ,arabs didn't go nuts when u allowed gay marriages.--------end point is every culture have different moral values.
United Arab States

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 11:59:34 PM »
well iranis have different moral values,u might like watching your sisters getting analy fucked and suck dick,well arabs and muslims don't.well wat the fuck do u care about iran ,arabs didn't go nuts when u allowed gay marriages.--------end point is every culture have different moral values.

"BUT....BUT....THAT GOES AGAINST DEMOCRACY & FREEDOM!!!!!!! DEMOCRACY AND CAPITALISM ARE THE ONLY WAY!!!!!!!!!"

That's what some retard is eventually gonna say.

My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

dexter

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 07:37:29 AM »
good

J Bananas

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 01:46:22 PM »
They hate our freedom...and democracy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 01:48:05 PM by J Bananas tells no tales »

51 cent

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 02:17:10 PM »
The whole deal with the powers that be in IRan these days is that they are keeping the middle class just happy enough so that they do not start to incite a revolution.  The country is relatively modern - they have cell phones, internet, western music (until now), they've also made some social changes to accomodate the younger generation.  I think itll be interesting to see if there are more chagnes like this and how it impact the balance they've got going on.
"Aight, new drink..."

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 02:23:21 PM »

Obviously the people of Iran's morals aren't too different, because western music is very popular over there.

The same people defending this ban are the first ones who would be crying racism if we in the west banned something from over there. Thankfully, we in the West aren't as closed minded, bigoted, and intolerant as Muslims in the Middle East.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 03:21:58 PM by Real American »

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 02:37:04 AM »
Western music has been blowing chunks lately so I can't blame them. At least they don't have to hear "Laffy Taffy" everywhere they go.

i would pay money to see a car full of Iranian women, in full veil....bumpin Laffy Taffy. lol.

mauzip

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 02:40:36 AM »
Let's send the Power Rangers to Iran.