Author Topic: Fugees comeback shows not getting good reviews  (Read 270 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

Fugees comeback shows not getting good reviews
« on: December 19, 2005, 04:09:36 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/reviews/story/0,11712,1668658,00.html

The Fugees

Hammersmith Apollo, London

Rating - 2 Stars (out of 5)

Caroline Sullivan
Friday December 16, 2005
The Guardian

Having taken to heart the advice about quitting while you're ahead, the Fugees guaranteed that their reunion, eight years later, would be a major hip-hop event. Their 18m-selling swansong, The Score, is a landmark of conscious rap-soul unsurpassed by erratic solo careers. If Lauryn Hill had followed up her Grammy-blitzing debut, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, who knows - but then we wouldn't have been sitting at the gig wondering how much the formerly feuding trio were being paid for it.

Enough, obviously, to have brought over their own maxiwatt PA system, which drained the national grid of a few villages' worth of power. It was unnecessary for a group whose members could have made themselves heard without any amplification at all. Hill and MCs Wyclef Jean and Pras Michel were never the most coherent live unit - too many voices attacking songs from opposing directions - but even if they'd tightened up their show, the shocking volume would have done for it.
But they hadn't, which raised the question of why they've reformed (and begun a new album) at all. If they had thought it through, they would have known that Eminem et al had raised the bar in terms of presentation, meaning that it's no longer sufficient to amble around and shout for a couple of hours. Even with songs as familiar as Fugee-La and Ready or Not, a band needs to sing for its supper. And if only Hill had sung (she was quite good at it on Killing Me Softly), rather than shown off her MCing skills in clashes with Wyclef and Pras that ripped the soulful heart out of every tune. The bickering of old may have been resolved, but the trio behaved like strangers who had been given half an hour to learn the songs.

Avuncular Wyclef made the most of his solo spot, rapping from the balcony and then dominating the rootsy new Fugees number, Take It Easy. The new material will be out next year, by which time, hopefully, they'll have re-thought the live show.

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
Re: Fugees comeback shows not getting good reviews
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 04:29:24 AM »
dayum... fugees are being 1/2 Assed now a days  :(

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 07:06:53 AM »
I think the Fugees have made the mistake of thinking that talent alone can sell records anymore.  It's just not like that.  You gotta bring it consistantly if you're trying to do what they're doing: Get by on respect.  The only reason people are going to see them is because they respect their old stuff, then they get there and get a shitty show.  NOT GOOD. 

Big_Ron

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 03:55:56 PM »
They should just go ahead and sign with Kanye. That would be the best choice for them.

ABN

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 04:35:42 PM »
my girl saw them a couple of weeks ago and she said that they were great, all of her friends thought they were great aswell. and she and all of her friends have studied music and are pretty selective with what they like so i dunno. gonna check them out myself before i judge their live show.

hempside

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 06:51:07 AM »
I seen clefs live show befor.it was striaght.
heyheyhey smoke weed everyday.