Author Topic: And 2005's Most Overrated Album Is...  (Read 643 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
And 2005's Most Overrated Album Is...
« on: December 28, 2005, 06:08:52 PM »

It gets praised way too highly.  Let me do a litte breakdown why…

We have 21 tracks here.  5 are annoying skits and are completely useless.  So we now have 16 outta 21 tracks left that you might not skip.  “Addiction” is horrible and another version of “Diamonds From Sierra Leone” did not need to be heard for a second time in 25 minutes.  So right now I’d cut 1/3 of the album.  Not too good for a contender for the “album of the year” honors.

We start off with “Heard 'Em Say” and it’s a great start, nice mellow track.  Next he switches up with some blaring horns on the next track.  Just like how the soft “Hey Mama” comes after the hectic “We Major”  (I’ll get back to this in a sec).  A just don’t think this album flow together nicely.  He should have arranged the songs in a better order.  Now Nas is easily one of my favourite artists and I would think that him teaming up with Kanye would produce a gem but Nas doesn’t come thru as usual over this over-produced track.  Those keys (or is it a harp) are very annoying and come close to ruining the song.  A few other guestspots are pretty average too such as Paul Wall and Cam’ron (actually Cam’ron’s appearance was just terrible).

I could go on and break this album down further if I wasn't lazy.  All in all, I feel this album gets praised simply cause of it’s complex production and “soulful” songs.  It’s a good album, but not great.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: And 2005's Most Overrated Album Is...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 06:35:14 PM »
I agree with KayneWests album being the most overated album but the  top 5 most underated albums are

1.DJ Quik - Trauma
2.GZA/Muggs - Grandmasters
3.Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
4.Common - Be
5.Cormega - The testament

ecrazy

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 08:48:47 PM »
MOST UNDERRATED/SLEPT ON/UNDER THE RADAR ALBUM:

Kev Brown - I Do What I Do

Greatest Album in a long time

J Bananas

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 11:19:23 PM »
I thought this album was a banger until I heard it the second time, then it got really gay. this guy pisses me off.

WestCoasta

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 11:22:42 PM »

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 10:56:41 AM »
agreed
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

ABN

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 02:21:18 PM »
i actually think Be is more overrated then Late Registration. to me it just feels like people are praising the shit outta this album coz it´s Common and it´s supposed to be a "real" hip hop album but to me it´s just a little better then average.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 02:46:51 PM »
i actually think Be is more overrated then Late Registration. to me it just feels like people are praising the shit outta this album coz it´s Common and it´s supposed to be a "real" hip hop album but to me it´s just a little better then average.

yeah maybe your right

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 02:49:55 PM »

i've been saying that for so long.  :'(
NO MORE WAR

Elevz

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 02:53:23 PM »
It’s a good album, but not great.

Now that right there pretty much sums it up.

However, I still rate it as one of 2005's finest. The majority of the albums I've checked this year were good but not classic. Just like Kanye's. It's just a good album but far from flawless. There's some annoying songs on the album and the skits REALLY suck, but all in all it's still quite decent.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 05:08:03 PM »
I never understood why so many rap-artists are in love with skits. Always hated them. Even the GOOD skits, which are rare enough, get annoying after a while. I hate the ones you can't skip since they arent a seperate track the most. Oh god, fuck useless skits.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 08:00:08 PM »
the remix version of diamonds from sierra leone is sick especially when jay z spits. the skits were funny at first but after a second listen got annoying but all skits usually get annoying after the first listen. we major was a major dissapointment wit the king of new york on it. hands down gold digger was one of the most annoying tracks of 2005 cuz the radio stations and clubs made that shit played out in like a week. overall the album is far from classic but still a decent above average album. Be was a pretty sick album IMO though but i wouldnt quite label it a classic like a lot of the reviews r giving it like XXL.

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 08:12:20 PM »
are you sure 'The Massacre' isnt the most overrated album this year? "We Major", "Touch The Sky", "Drive Slow", and "Crack Music" themselves are >>>>> than any track on 'The Massacre' except for "Ski Mask Way" maybe

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 09:33:34 PM »
are you sure 'The Massacre' isnt the most overrated album this year? "We Major", "Touch The Sky", "Drive Slow", and "Crack Music" themselves are >>>>> than any track on 'The Massacre' except for "Ski Mask Way" maybe

most people dont overate that album